BREAKING: White House Told During Benghazi Attack That It Was Terrorism

UPDATE: Greta van Susteren and Liz Cheney discuss the president’s debate statement he did all he could to protect our people during the attack, while our forces only an hour’s flight away in Italy weren’t deployed during any of a 7 hour, multi-wave attack our leaders were able to watch from drones overhead. Even an F-18 flyover may have scared the attackers off, but nothing was done. Meanwhile on one occasion Reagan acted within 90 minutes to scramble fighters to take down a possible terrorist threat in the sky. Decisive leadership can get things done. The question is: where was the president? Where was the Secretary of State? Wouldn’t the Secretary of Defense have given the president a choice of assets to deploy in the region? Nothing was done, and our president says he did all he could? Greta: “we just sat and watched.”


This reported tonight by Reuters, CBS, Fox and others.

Watch Fox’s principal report here:


Reuters reported:

Officials at the White House and State Department were advised two hours after attackers assaulted the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11 that an Islamic militant group had claimed credit for the attack, official emails show.

Three emails were obtained.

The first email, timed at 4:05 p.m. Washington time - or 10:05 p.m. Benghazi time, 20-30 minutes after the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission allegedly began - carried the subject line “U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi Under Attack” and the notation “SBU”, meaning “Sensitive But Unclassified.”

The text said the State Department’s regional security office had reported that the diplomatic mission in Benghazi was “under attack. Embassy in Tripoli reports approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well.”

The message continued: “Ambassador Stevens, who is currently in Benghazi, and four … personnel are in the compound safe haven. The 17th of February militia is providing security support.”

A second email, headed “Update 1: U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi” and timed 4:54 p.m. Washington time, said that the Embassy in Tripoli had reported that “the firing at the U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi had stopped and the compound had been cleared.” It said a “response team” was at the site attempting to locate missing personnel.

A third email, also marked SBU and sent at 6:07 p.m. Washington time, carried the subject line: “Update 2: Ansar al-Sharia Claims Responsibility for Benghazi Attack.”

The message reported: “Embassy Tripoli reports the group claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter and has called for an attack on Embassy Tripoli.”

Were these just a few emails lost in the rush? Nope. According to the Examiner:

“Fox is told that approximately 300-400 national security figures received these emails in real time almost as the raid was playing out and concluding,” van Susteren added. One of the addresses that received the emails “is the White House Situation address,” she said.

What else do we need to know? Hundreds received these emails, including the White House situation room. There’s no room for confusion. Immediate reports did not suggest a spontaneous protest to a YouTube video. They clearly indicated a terrorist attack.

While I have a hard time calling anyone a liar, it’s getting harder and harder to come up with plausible excuses for how the White House could possibly have maintained in all honesty a position that the attack in Benghazi, which they watched through military drones, was a reaction to the YouTube video. It’s getting nigh impossible to come up with any possible explanation other than utter incompetence or dishonesty. For all Obama’s bluster in Monday night’s debate about “one thing [he] learned” is the need as Commmander-in-Chief to send clear messages and avoid changing positions, his record on this point is disastrously inept.

With this information, how can the White House get to a place where it blames an irrelevant YouTube video for 2 weeks rather than saying it was a terrorist attack? How can it send out the UN ambassador to perpetuate this story with such certitude?

While officials did [early on] mention the possible involvement of “extremists,” they did not lay blame on any specific militant groups or possible links to al Qaeda or its affiliates until intelligence officials publicly alleged that on September 28.

It would be one thing to come out and say “we just don’t know what happened, we are investigating and will let you know when we know something.” But it’s clearly another to blame a cause the evidence before you indicates is wrong.

Here’s CBS’ video report:

If, as this report suggests, the president really thought terrorists were behind the attack, why didn’t the administration slow down and say they just didn’t know? Why take such a definitive position contradicted by the evidence?

Something is really off here, and the president needs to come clean. Was it that the White House truly believed the CIA report mentioned by the Washington Post that suggested the Benghazi attack was a result of the video? If so is this a case of willingly believing the story that suits you best despite significant evidence to the contrary? What does it say about the president or his administration that he’s willing to ignore facts staring him in the face? My bottom line is that it’s getting tougher to find ways to let the White House off the hook here.

Romney in Florida: Meets with Top Supporters, Receives Key Endorsement - Romney’s PAC Donates to 45 Republicans

News from Romney’s Free and Strong America PAC:

Today, the PAC sent out yet another wave of contributions to 45 Republicans in Congress who received a total of $93,000 in donations.

These contributions come on top of the $208,000 that Romney’s PAC has delivered to 90 U.S. Senate and House Republicans since the start of 2011, bringing year-to-date donations to federal candidates to more than $300,000.

“There are many important issues facing Congress and the nation. By showing our support for Republican candidates who are fighting for conservative principles in Washington, we hope to influence the national debate on jobs, taxes, the economy and the budget,” said Romney.

(my emphasis)
To view the long list of contribution recipients, click here.

***************************************

Florida News

Governor Mitt Romney greets supporters in Florida. March 10, 2022

● Although Romney’s meeting with Florida Governor Rick Scott (which was to be held in Tallahassee yesterday) was canceled due to foggy weather, his PAC donated $2,000 apiece to U.S. Reps Allen West, R-Plantation; Daniel Webster, R-Orlando; and Steve Southerland, R-Panama City, and Ander Crenshaw, R-Jacksonville.


● Romney makes Florida play with key fundraiser hire:

Mitt Romney has hired a Florida fundraiser and is making a push to meet with top donors and officials in the Sunshine State this week.

On Wednesday, Romney and finance officials from his Free and Strong America political action committee huddled with major donors at a meeting in the Fort Lauderdale area, and on Thursday they planned a similar meeting in St. Petersburg, as well as meetings in Tallahassee with newly elected Republican Gov. Rick Scott and Florida Senate candidate Mike Haridopolos. The Tallahassee meetings were canceled because of weather.
[...]
The St. Petersburg Times reported that Thursday’s donor reception was set to be hosted by Mel Sembler, a top GOP donor who was among nine national finance chairmen for Romney’s 2008 presidential exploratory committee. Sembler, a coveted bundler, told the Times this week, “At this point, I’m still supporting” Romney.

Wednesday’s reception outside Fort Lauderdale was to be hosted by heart surgeon Zachariah Zachariah, a prominent bundler for former President George W. Bush[...]

Fehrnstrom said the Fort Lauderdale meeting wasn’t a fundraiser per se but added that “people usually end up writing checks to the Free and Strong America PAC.”
[...]

● Florida State Senator says he’ll endorse Romney:

State Senator John Thrasher, a former chairman of the Republican Party of Florida, says he’s ready to throw his support to Romney if the former Massachusetts governor and 2008 GOP presidential candidate makes another run for the White House, as expected.

“If Governor Romney decides to run for President in 2012, I will absolutely be supporting him and helping him in Florida,” Thrasher said in an email to the Florida Times-Union. “He would be a great GOP nominee.”

Last June Romney traveled to Florida to endorse Thrasher in person for his 2010 re-election bid to the state senate.

(my emphasis)

► Jayde Wyatt