Obama in Colorado: “We knew it was going to take longer than one term . . .”

I attended an Obama rally in Grand Junction, Colorado today and heard Obama make some very questionable claims.

The first claim was regarding getting the economy back on track and changing course from the previous Bush administration. Obama said:

“We knew from the beginning that it was going to take longer than one term, or even one presidency to turn this around.”

Really? I certainly don’t remember that being made clear in ’08. However, I do remember Obama’s now infamous line on ABC News to Matt Lauer on February 1, 2009:

“Look, I’m at the start of my administration. One nice thing about the situation I find myself in is that I will be held accountable. You know, I’ve got four years. If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.”

It’s obvious what Obama is trying to do nowadays. Obama is trying to buy himself more time so that voters won’t hold him accountable for his lackluster first term. Obama knows his performance has been lackluster and that there have been many broken and unfulfilled promises he made to the American people. He is hoping Americans will forget his many campaign promises and cut him some slack. But Americans won’t forget. And rightly so.

Another claim Obama made during the rally was rather humorous. Near the end of the speech as Obama was wrapping up, he said:

“If you believe, like I do, that we are on the right track, then I’ll need you to stand with me.”

It was a humorous statement because if you look at the polls asking whether Americans believe the country is on the right track, Obama would have a small support group.

The most recent polls asking whether Americans believe the country is on the Right Track/Wrong Track:

Right Track: 31.3%

Wrong Track: 62.0%

And the third questionable statement by Obama was even picked up by Politico when Obama suggested every nation on the earth wants to be us.

Here is the Politico article summary:

The president took American exceptionalism to a whole new level Wednesday by suggesting that not only is the United States the greatest nation on earth, but every other country wants to be us.

“…[W]e’ve still got the best workers in the world. We’ve got the best entrepreneurs in the world. We’ve got the best scientists and researchers in the world, the best colleges, and the best universities in the world,” he said at a campaign rally in Colorado. “We’re still a young nation, and we’ve got the greatest diversity of talent and ingenuity, and people want to come here from every corner of the globe.

“So no matter what the naysayers tell us, no matter how dark the other side tries to make things look, the fact is there is not another country on earth that would not gladly trade places with the United States of America.”

A curious bit of hyperbole when one considers that Muslim countries have a decidedly negative view of America. In a recent Pew survey, disapproval of the United States was above 70 percent in Egypt, Turkey and Pakistan and hit 86 percent in Jordan.

Tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Obama in Colorado: “We knew it was going to take longer than one term . . .”

1. James M. Lysaght says:

I have real concerns about the spoksperson you have representing you and your control over your message. To have her invoke your Mass. healthcare plan as a measure that would have saved his wife’s life was STUPID. What the hell are you going to do about it? Take the damn gloves off.

You are showing people that you are not comfortable with your message and that it is not on solid ground. You need to get some street fighters on your team or you will be another McCain.

Why the hell haven’t you tuned in Dick Morris?

I contribute to your campaign and I am disappointed. Fire your spokesperson. That is the only thing that will clear the air.

2. John says:

It is time to get out of the way and let other that had experienced come to turn the country on the right track,we the unemployment can’t afford 4 more years of Obama failure policy,promise was his promised,he must keep it if he is a loving leader and care about the country,he is enjoying and happy for free taxes and play gulf but the American people were very struggle and can’t wait till November why he still ask for 4 more years, so ridiculous. We are not stupid and will believe what he say and wait day from day, month from month, and years from years by hungry just for Obama to get gold spoon every day,we deserve better life too Mr.president, this great country still have greater leader than you why America will save you in the white house just waste time and more budget but not for the country and the American but for yourself and your party,please don’t selfish too much but pity the American people.

3. Very brave of you to go to a Obama rally. Did you wear your Romney t-shirt? (of course not… that would be life-threatening.)

4. Re: James comment above.

Yes it was a stupid comment for Andrea to say, but there will be no firing. We have the faux outrage of conservative prognosticators to thanks for the the hoopla surrounding this. This will be forgotten and have no effect on the election, but all of this shooting our own and asking for peoples heads on a platter doesn’t help our cause.

5. Ben Collins says:

@Nate, I went to the rally with my video camera hoping to catch Obama saying another “You didn’t build that” line. Unfortunately, no gaffes like that this time. But he had a few pretty good ones.

I haven’t seen the footage of Andrea making the comment about the MA Healthcare. I will form my own opinion when I see it. However, I know that she condemned the ad as despicable and dishonest. Andrea may have meant the comment to only be a side note. Mr. Soptic said that Romney didn’t care about his wife. This ad portrays Romney as cold and only caring about the dollar. Really? Romney cared about the 9% in the state of MA. He cared about portable health insurance and he cared about people with preexisting conditions getting insurance. So that’s what I thought about when I heard about the comment and maybe that is what she was thinking. But that is NOT to say that the ad is not dishonest and misleading in the first place.

When Romney and his campaign took off the gloves in the primaries to totally decimate Perry and Gingrich the NOT Romney’s cried foul. Now it is the same people who think Romney is incapable of taking off his gloves. Those of us who are his ardent supporters know what he is capable of. Romney is pragmatic and has a strong sense between the difference of right and wrong and it is lacking in the opposition. “If truth is the standard, we will win” Romney 2012!

7. Nina says:

Mitt Romney is very proud of his record in Massachusetts and should be. If this is the first time you’ve heard him or someone from his campaign talk about it that’s your problem, not his. He talks about Bain, Mass. health/education reforms, working w/Dems in the Mass senate and the Olympics ALL the time on the campaign trail.

The Mass. healthcare program and Obamacare are two completely DIFFERENT things. Use the time you waste criticizing Mitt Romney and his hardworking staff to read up on them. Mitt continues to propose that each state formulate their own responses to their individual healthcare needs (as they know best what will work in their states and can be held accountable locally), NOT federal mandates.

Andrea is and continues to be an excellent communications director for Mitt.

8. AfricansforRomney says:

I watched the CO rally lies clip yesterday and i asked myself this question. Are women in COor other swing states are dumb and stupid? Definately, Obama the commander in chief thinks so. People are struggling to make ends meet, the gas, the food price is sky rocketing and the commander in chief was acting like OB/GYN dr advising these women basically, if you don’t vote for me, you can’t afford sex, you will have expensive sex.

Do they know the ObamaFRAUDcare penality “tax”?

I don’t know how you attend his rally without getting stoned or blasting music in your head. I bet you took a long shower after that.

9. AfricansforRomney says:

James,
    I feel you. It is very furstrating, but we need to give credits for Andrea Saul and Gov Romney staffs. It is very hard to keep up minute by minute Obama and his Chicago thugs lies and answering in an orderly fashion to the media.

The prolbem is chronic. Firing the good, hard working campaign staff doesn’t solve the problem. Let Gov Romney move the main MA campaign office to TX or somewhere in deep south so, let the campaign staffs breath conservative air. I think the MA moderate air is so toxic and hard to get rid of from their system. Also, if it is possible please hire Gingrich for spokesperson and he’ll carpet bomb them with one single word. Gov Sununu can’t be everywhere.

Obama has no Integrity!
    Support Gov Romney!!!

10. AfricansforRomney says:

contraception for the hungry. very funny interview