Mitt Romney to Address 48,000 Evangelicals at Liberty University in May

Among friends and family members, discussions will often turn to the presidential campaigns. It is well known that Governor Romney has a strong, optimistic vision and message for America, contrasted with Mr. Obama’s aversion to any discussion of his own record as president (for example, when was the last time he touted his signature legislative “victory” — ObamaSnare?). His rhetoric is mostly negative and serious.

It seems the question always arises, “What do you think the Democrats are going to do to attack Romney?” One answer I hear almost every time goes something like, “Oh, there is no question the Democrats are going to make this one of the nastiest presidential elections of all time! They are going to look for every angle they can to attack Governor Romney’s Christian faith.” Anybody who follows the writings of our friends at Evangelicals for Mitt (“EFM”) and Article VI Blog know these attacks began in earnest about five years ago and really never abated (see John Schroeder’s excellent piece yesterday).

Liberty University

Though the DNC has said, “Attacking a candidate’s religion is out of bounds,” they know such a statement is like an open invitation to the liberal mainstream media and Democrats of all stripes do exactly the opposite. The latest example is the Democrat governor of Montana, Brian Schweitzer’s reference two days ago to Governor Romney’s LDS family background, generations ago. And to what end? Division: a weak attempt to divide Americans of faith. Oh, and deflection from Mr. Obama’s record of course — as always.

I was excited Thursday to read the announcement that Governor Romney would give the commencement address at Liberty University next month — the audience is expected at 48,000 (Liberty University is to Evangelicals what BYU is to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Minutes after receiving the news alert, I sent an email to Nancy French at EFM asking if she might like to write a brief guest post for MRC (little did I know that she had just brought her husband David home from the hospital with a concussion — she reports that David is recovering well). Charles Mitchell at EFM wrote this piece about the announcement.

David French is relentless in his support of Governor Romney for president; even with a concussion he was somehow lucid enough to provide these excellent thoughts for National Review Online yesterday regarding Governor Romney’s speech May 12th. In my opinion, should Governor Romney be elected POTUS, the national attention he receives at the Liberty University commencement address will be exceeded only by his Tampa and inaugural speeches.

Interesting Factoid: Mark DeMoss, a trustee of Liberty University and a nationally prominent Evangelical gave an outstanding speech at BYU January 24, 2012. Referring to the invitation to speak at BYU, he said it was, “one of the highest honors I have received.” His BYU speech is truly outstanding and worth watching in its entirety.

Unfortunately, in the next six months, there will be many enemies of religious freedom that will do everything in their power to divide people of faith in the battle tested tactics of “divide and conquer.” We saw it this week. Jayde referred to it in her “Bigot Hall of Shame” post of April 6th referring to O’Donnell’s MSNBC lies that he later admitted were wrong.

Never forget Mr. Obama’s central campaign strategy: DIVIDE — DISTORT — DISTRACT — DEFLECT… Mr. Obama will use any person, entity, and message to take voters’ minds away from his record as POTUS.

Once before, I mentioned Dennis Prager, one of my favorite radio talk show hosts; one who is nationally syndicated. He refers often to his faith — he is an orthodox Jew. In light of the Obama strategy to relentlessly divide Americans on class, gender, faith, ethnicity, etc. and with this week’s announcement of the Liberty University address, I decided to include a segment from Dennis Prager’s radio program. Prager provides excellent reasoning to illustrate that he perfectly understands what he calls “the Evangelical argument” — also included are his thoughts on Romney and the presidential election. ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT (crescendo to the end):

“Bigotry and intolerance, silenced by argument, endeavors to silence by persecution, in old days by fire and sword, in modern days by the tongue.” ~ Charles Simmons

“Bigotry and judgment are the height of insecurity.” ~ Jasmine Guy

“Bigotry or prejudice in any form is more than a problem; it is a deep-seated evil within our society.” ~ Judith Light

About Victor Lundquist:

Victor is a businessman working in the healthcare industry. He and his wife of 33 years have five children and four grandchildren. Vic has been blogging for Mitt Romney since 2007.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments Closed

13 Responses to Mitt Romney to Address 48,000 Evangelicals at Liberty University in May

1. Stan says:

I was excited to see that Gov. Romney will be speaking at Liberty University in front of thousands. I also enjoy Dennis Prager’s radio broadcasts. One comment, I was contemplating on a video I saw here on MRC about the real Mitt Romney with Jeff Benedict. That video raised an awareness for me about why I’m for Mitt. I’ve been for Mitt since I’ve heard his last name Romney. I did some research on him and his family and the family ties to the church. I wondered about his character and followed him through the Winter Olympics and in Massachusetts. I knew then that his family influence, his call to France on a church mission, a bishop in his ward was proof to me of his inner strength and his desire to serve that makes me want to vote for Mitt Romney as president of the United States. It was more than just what Prager had mentioned in his show but a brotherly kinship that ties Latter Day Saints together. If that means we are different from evangelicals than I want to be different.

2. Stan, I appreciate your comment. Thank you.

I’m not sure exactly what my concern is regarding your “brotherly kinship” point, but I think it has to do with identity politics in general, which has a tendency to divide voters rather than bring them together for a common bond.

From my perspective, Governor Romney has all of the right attributes of a strong, good leader. Those attributes are widely recognized and needed. Governor Romney’s reputation as a leader in rescuing failed companies, years of service without pay, the rescue of the Olympics, tough, decisive business decision-making, high moral character, integrity, etc., are all elements that transcend a kinship experienced from a common faith.

I agree with everything you wrote above — all of it.

It is my hope and expectation that focus will shift to all that Romney has in common with people of all faiths that strive to promote strong Judeo-Christian ethics, rather than call out differences in faith, even if those differences somehow show Romney in a better light.

Romney is so far superior to Obama, as a leader, in so many ways. His faith combined with his moral character and integrity are points of commonality that are bringing Americans of all faiths together.

3. Stan says:

I being a convert to the church (LDS) in the beginning found it very difficult to relate to members calling each other “brother”. I looked at it as a “member only” social club. Now after 37 years I use the word brother as a term of endearment expressing love for a family member and not a shallow social club. So the point, brotherly kinship, is that comprehension that we are all children of God. So don’t worry I’m not a radical religious zealot, lol.

4. Annette says:

I will be looking forward to Mitt’s address at Liberty University. …Romney 2012!

5. Tracey says:

I hope the evangelicals can unite behind Mitt Romney. He is a good man and I believe that he will strive to represent all Americans. He will not divide our nation but he will do and say things that will promote unity among all faiths and groups in our country. Though it will be impossible to please all the various groups with policy decisions I believe he will have an ability to set the right tone and I also believe he will end his 8 years as a very beloved and respected President.

6. ccr says:

This is excellent and such a great opportunity for unity! Is there any connection with Liberty University and Mark DeMoss, an Evangelical advisor for Mitt?

7. Jane says:

Mark DeMoss is one of the trustees at Liberty University. His speech at BYU (link above) is fabulous.

8. AfricansforRomney says:

Umm… i was wondorning if Gov Romney gets an invitation. Great! It’s an eye opener for me to see religon Vs politics perspectives within “christian” religon groups. Well, in the end what it matters is the CONSTITUTION.

Obama disasterous care should give an excellent lesson for all religious leaders. We’ve seen Catholic leaders came out holding their cross and approving Obama’s disasterous care and then crying out loud for disapproval. We’ve a clear choice in this election. Gov Romney told us many times “he’s not running for Pastor-in chief”. We’ve a clear chioce in this election.NOBAMA!

Gov Romney will DEFEND the constitution, Indvidual liberty!

9. Debbie (FB): I think one reason that Ron Paul does not get serious attention from serious voters and supporter is because he has never led anything. As a congressman, he never successfully authored anything in Congress that got approved into law. That is not insignificant.

Nena (FB): Want to bet on the attendance number? I will put my money where my mouth is. Will you?

10. Debbie says:

@Vic Lundquist
    Vic, you are wrong and you are right. Here’s where you are wrong. He has called for an audit of the Federal Reserve for 2 decades-he finally convinced enough congressmen that a “partial audit” was done (and God, look what that showed us!! Just a peek into the true corruption in Washington and on Wall Street).
    But you are pretty much right in one respect. Although he has introduced a lot of his ideas in Washington, he has never had much success getting other Congressmen to help pass things into legislation. However, you must take into consideration that it isn’t his fault that other Congressmen and women do not have enough moral integrity to stand up for what’s right instead of just going along with the status quo. I will tell you this…this year I vote principle-not party…because the Republican Party no longer has any principles. This is the year it has to change. This is the year the American people have got to stand up for honestly, integrity, and our Constitutional rights. Only Ron Paul can offer that, and you have to admit it. It is time Vic. It is time.

11. Vic Lundquist says:

Debbie, I do understand the points you are making. Values and principles are extremely important for sure….no question about it. But you still have to lead in the system the founding fathers set up. From what I have studied, Ron Paul has not done this and his record shows it.

A similar thought is best described with this quote: “There are many unemployed geniuses.” Why is this relevant to the current debate? A genius can have all the answers to all of the world’s problems, right? But if he cannot convince an employer (for a job) or convince investors (as an entrepreneur), what good is his knowledge, insight, wisdom, etc.?

If Ron Paul is a great principled man of high moral values, etc. but he cannot use any of it to move the world forward under the system (Congress) created by our founders for that purpose, what good is it really? Tip O’Neil and Ronald Reagan had totally opposite viewpoints and values and principles — some even say they hated each other. But both were leaders and they got things done under the system created by the founders.

It would be different if our system of government were a dictatorship with Ron Paul. He could enact any law he saw fit. Under the circumstances, it seems clear from his track record that he lacks any experience leading others as a change agent. The difference between a man of rhetoric and a man of action are not values and principles. The difference is leadership.

Currently, we have a POTUS that is known for soaring rhetoric. It is well known that our country is void of leadership right now.

That was my main point about Mr. Paul. I actually agree with many of his values and principles, but when I review his career record, I don’t see any leadership that shows me he can be a change agent. We need real change. A POTUS is a power broker really. The best example of that was Ronald Reagan. He was a change agent. I don’t see anything Mr. Paul has done that indicates he has lead any change of any kind.

Am I wrong on this point of leading change? Is this not exactly what is needed right now? One can be totally RIGHT on principle, but if he cannot lead others to agree to get their and change, what do we have? No change. No leadership.

12. Billy says:

Does anyone have a video of the speech? I would love to hear it.

13. ccr says:

Excellent points, Vic, in your exchange on Ron Paul. There are things, too, on which I agree with Ron Paul, but the leadership and agent of change point is very true.

There is NO perfection in a government of man. We just do the very best we can. Accepting only “perfection” in principle will not accomplish anything.