Mitt Romney: A Bigger Man Than I

I found this video today of Mitt Romney speaking at the NRA convention in Louisville, Kentucky back in May of 2008. He spoke in behalf of John McCain, a few months after bowing out of the 2008 GOP Presidential primary race in support of McCain.

I can remember at the time how disappointed I was and that how I was not a fan of McCain who I felt ran a dirty campaign. I can still remember how hard it was for me to vote for him in the general election.

This post isn’t about that, this is about the character of Mitt Romney who could have just as easily walked away after the primaries and left McCain to fend for himself. I know I would have. Romney didn’t.

He knew what was in store for America as he points out in the following video of that speech he made at the NRA. He was doing everything in his power to keep Obama from winning the Presidency. I still share the vision of America he spoke of here:

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Mitt Romney: A Bigger Man Than I

1. Deg says:

This post should be cross post over at Race42012.com

2. Noelle says:

I want the president to be someone I look up to, someone to admire. Mitt Romney certainly fills that requirement! He is a good man, a decent man, he always confronts challenges and criticism with class and dignity.

3. Marilyn says:

However, while Romney often cites closing corporate tax loopholes in Massachusetts to balance the state’s budget as among his biggest successes, he simultaneously owes some of his personal wealth to the fact that the company he helped start took advantage of offshore tax havens to shield investors from having to pay American taxes. (Romney was the wealthiest of all presidential candidates in 2008, boasting a personal fortune of nearly $250 million and spending $45 million of his own money during the 2008 primary.) As the Los Angeles Times reported in 2007:

Romney gained no personal tax benefit from the legal operations in Bermuda and the Cayman Islands. But aides to the Republican presidential hopeful and former colleagues acknowledged that the tax-friendly jurisdictions helped attract billions of additional investment dollars to Romney’s former company, Bain Capital, and thus boosted profits for Romney and his partners.

By routing investments through shell companies set up in Bermuda or the Caymans, companies like Bain Capital allow their investors to avoid the 35 percent corporate tax rate they would have to pay in the U.S., leaving more revenues for executive compensation. Romney might have closed corporate tax loopholes in Massachusetts, but he predictably does not feel the same way about the tax laws that allowed his company to operate freely in these offshore tax havens. He recently advocated for a one-time repatriation holiday to allow corporations hiding income offshore to bring it home to America at dramatically lower tax rates, and he supports substantially lowering the corporate tax rate.

4. Marilyn says:

RE: He recently advocated for a one-time repatriation holiday to allow corporations hiding income offshore to bring it home to America at dramatically lower tax rates, and he supports substantially lowering the corporate tax rate.

No problem with that, if there are stipulations placed on what they can do with that money once they bring it onshore. Otherwise, they’ll just give it out in dividends or use it for stock buybacks. Two things that don’t end up creating jobs, just making people richer.

Yes, lower the corporate tax rate, but when you do it, eliminate all tax loopholes and I do mean all. And don’t let them come back.

It’s way past time that corporations paid their fair share.

5. Bosman says:

@Marilyn

@Marilyn

“……..But aides to the Republican presidential hopeful and former colleagues acknowledged that the tax-friendly jurisdictions helped attract billions of additional investment dollars to Romney’s former company”

Hi Marilyn,

A couple of points to keep in mind:

1. Romney wasn’t running for President back then, he was looking out for his investors. That’s what SUCCESSFUL CEO’s of investment companies do.
    2. By helping to attract billions of investment money, yes, he boosted profits, but he also raised the needed capital to bring companies like Staples and Dominos to the next level. By doing this, More outlets/store….MORE JOBS CREATED!

6. Mark says:

@Marilyn
    I agree with Bosman. your comments are nonsensical. Why couldn’t Romney do for the U.S. what he did for Massachusetts? All you’ve done is point out flaws in the U.S. tax structure. Also, you’ve failed to point out the incredible net positive benefit brought to the U.S. economy by Romney.