Tim Pawlenty and Mitt Romney

During his most recent CPAC speech, Romney made a particular declaration that, I’ll be honest, made a thrill go up my leg. It brought the entire audience to their feet in applause — a simple, but memorable statement that was delivered only after plenty of build-up. It went like this:

“It’s going to take more than new rhetoric to put Americans back to work — it’s going to take a new president!

That was mid-February. Fast-forward to just yesterday, when T-Paw’s team released a movie trailer video response to the announcement of Obama’s reelection campaign. See if your eyes can focus through the joltiness until the very end, where you may hear a familiar line:

Did you catch it?

Now, I’m not saying that Romney has a trademark on that particular phrase; in fact, it will undoubtedly be used (and has been used) scores of times by any challenger seeking to remove an incumbent President. I guess I just found this certain instance to be déjà vu provoking. It’s almost as if either T-Paw himself, or one of his advisers, was in that CPAC audience back in February, taking good notes on what charisma is supposed to sound like. Kudos to the media team for nailing it down.

-Tommy Winter

Tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Pawlenty Takes a Line from Romney in New Web Video: “It’s Going to Take a New President”

1. Chris says:

I guess Pawlenty and Obama think that when mitt has a good idea or good line, you need to steal it fast, before someone notices!!!

2. Katrina says:

As a movie trailer connoisseur (not really), I really enjoyed the Tim Pawlenty video. It was well done, so kudos to his team for that! And I also heard Mitt Romney’s CPAC speech and was inspired then. But yeah, I think you are right that the particular line about taking a new president has been used plenty before. It’s as specific as hope and change. I’m looking a little deeper, and from what I’ve seen from Mitt, he’s still my candidate.

3. Lori says:

It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Not only that, but Mitt’s message about a new president is beginning to resonate with everyone. That is a good thing.

4. Man people are stealing quotes from him left and right. First Obama, not T-Paw :)

5. Bill says:

If they get on the same page that well now, just think what a good job he’ll do as VP.

6. Fran Frost-Douglas says:

I believe M R is the man with the plan. When a person starts taking lines or anything from someone else’s speech; I feel that person is lazy and wanting things done for him..Not Presidential Material. Just my thoughts..

7. Mark says:

this seems so contrived…coming in the wake of Romney’s speech. Romney definitely stole the thunder out of that one.

8. Marilyn says:

Mark, I think you must have misspoke in saying that Romney definitely stole the thunder out of that one. Did you mean T-Paw?

M.R. is the only potential candidate that could actually win against the current admin.

9. Marilyn says:

Very, very well done video. Once T-Paw is out of the race, or running as M.R.’s VP, M.R. needs to tap the video guy for his videos. Guy’s got very real talent.

10. Marilyn says:

New York Times article headline today, “Romney Explores a Run Without Saying So or Seeking the Spotlight”.
    My prediction is that M.R. is going to be wildly popular, as much as Reagan or more so.

11. Mark says:

Marilyn, to steal someone’s thunder is to use the tag line first, which Romney did and T-Paw is following with the same line. In that sense, M.R., as the first to use the line (recently in the GOP) took the T-Paw’s “thunder” away, get it? Got it? Good.

12. Marilyn says:

It will also take some new thinking, from that new president. Check out this important article on trade: