Breaking: Romney Threatened by Fellow Airline Passenger

Jane Taber from Globe and Mail reports:

Republican politician Mitt Romney was physically threatened by a violent passenger on an Air Canada flight leaving Vancouver this morning.

Mr. Romney, who has been in Vancouver since Friday for the Olympic Winter Games, did not respond to the attack. Instead, he allowed the airline crew to deal with the incident, according to his spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom.
Mr. Romney, 62, and his wife, Ann, were sitting in Row 15 of the economy section of the Embrarer 190 airplane, waiting for the plane to take off when the incident happened.

The man sitting in front of Mr. Romney’s wife dropped his seat back and when Mr. Romney asked him to move it upright for takeoff, the man became “physically violent.” Another report said that the man tried to strike Mr. Romney.

“Gov. Romney did not retaliate,” said Mr. Fehrnstrom.
Mr. Romney was not injured. The pilot returned to the gate and the passenger and his bags were removed by the RCMP.

Crazy news, isn’t it? …What if the perpetrator had made contact? One thing for sure, Romney would have all of us here at MRC at his back!

On a different note, I’m glad Romney is learning to dodge these low blows; I have a feeling the left is going to come out swinging the closer we get to election season.

~Aaron G.

Addendum by Ross:
A video news report with additional details can be seen at My Fox Phoenix

Now it seems the man lowered his seat into Ann Romney right before takeoff, so Mitt spoke up to protect Ann. We’ll continue to update this post as more information becomes available.

UPDATE #2: Another news video with commentary can be found here.

UPDATE #3: Mitt Romney won’t press charges

UPDATE #4: Mitt’s assailant reveals himself? I might not believe his side of the story, but it is humorous never-the-less. President Obama better beware of Mitt’s Vulcan grip…haha

Addendum by Nate: Kevin Madden, a Team Romney veteran, was asked about the incident and gave this response:

The governor is a very polite guy; he’s not one whose very prone to emotional outbursts or anything. But there’s one thing I know about Gov. Romney too is, you don’t mess with Ann,” Madden said. “But I can guarantee — I bet you not one hair got out of place during it.

Aaron Gundy

Tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Breaking: Romney Threatened by Fellow Airline Passenger

1. I find it interesting that he and his wife were flying economy. They certainly could have afforded first class.

2. kathy2trips says:

Romney flying in “economy class”? With Ms. Obama’s $18,000 coats and dinner dates in NYC, the Governor’s money sense is very impressive.

3. Rebel Ross says:

I don’t know if we’ll ever see video of this since I doubt anyone was expecting something like this to happen, but the image of Mitt dodging a punch and not retaliating is very impressive to me. It’s nice to know Mitt still has such quick reflexes and self control at the same.

4. Lori says:

No sense retaliating when things are under control. The passenger probably was not even in his right mind.

5. Jayde Wyatt says:

I can’t wait to see the mug shot of this guy.

6. Tar says:

No security detail?

7. Skye says:

What Mitt did WAS the best thing to do. My husband is a flight attendant so I know about how sometimes a flight will have an unruly passenger, etc. The seat is supposed to be upright for takeoff. And that Mitt allowed the crew to deal with it, kept the incident to a minimum and less complicated for the crew. I was glad to hear the passenger was removed, that was the right thing to do also. Thank you Mitt, you set a great example.

8. ebkins says:

Stephen Monteith :I find it interesting that he and his wife were flying economy. They certainly could have afforded first class.

So what if they could “afford” first class… just becuase you have money doens’t mean you HAVE to spend it!

9. fuman says:

@kathy2trips

These are related how?

10. fuman says:

Skye :

Well said !!

11. jessica says:

Romney may be more thrifty than I ever thought. Besides flying coach, I think Romney was wearing the same shirt from ’08 campaigning.

In recent pictures from Vancouver, Romney is wearing a blue shirt with vertical and horizontal white lines. I could swear I remember him wearing that same shirt from campaigning in New Hampshire or some other location from ’08.

If this is so, he’s really very frugal.

12. SED says:

jessica :Romney may be more thrifty than I ever thought. Besides flying coach, I think Romney was wearing the same shirt from ‘08 campaigning.
    In recent pictures from Vancouver, Romney is wearing a blue shirt with vertical and horizontal white lines. I could swear I remember him wearing that same shirt from campaigning in New Hampshire or some other location from ‘08.
    If this is so, he’s really very frugal.

You have no idea. Here is great quote from the Lowell Sun:

Liberals have attempted to link Baker’s conservative fiscal outlook with that of former Republican Gov. Mitt Romney, as though that were a bad thing. Romney was a penny-pinching conservative when it came to spending taxpayers’ money. You can be critical of Romney for a lot of things — like using the governor’s office as a steppingstone to run for president — but when he was governor, Romney did not raise taxes, did away with political patronage and refused to make deals with lobbyists or with anyone else. In fact, he didn’t even take the salary.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/columnists/ci_14388614#ixzz0fiu4ozdN

13. Lorraine Palazzi says:

I am so proud to support Mitt Romney. Not only is he frugal, but sensible to let the airlines
    handle the security for that biserk passenger. Pretty great reflexes, also.

14. Mikey Mike says:

This type of plan only has one class of service so there is no first class.

15. James says:

I don’t find it odd at all that he was in economy. One of the things I like about Romney is he doesn’t believe in wasting money. Economy will get there just as fast as first class. Not wasting money… Oh what could have been.

16. Tom says:

If it’s true about who the person that got thrown off the plane is, I’m 100% on the side of Mitt here. I’m familiar with Sky Blu and he has a tendency to over-react. However, his video wasn’t bad. Both parties are willing to let the situation go. Since Mitt might be running for president, it would look petty for him to press charges for something small like this. However, Sky Blu has plenty of reasons to turn the tables on Mitt had Mitt done anything wrong. The tone of Sky Blu’s videos tells us all we need to know. If Mitt was at fault, Sky would be a little more angry instead of somber and sedated.