“Harry, Sasquatch on line three…”
By Glenn McCoy – August 8, 2012
The latest on Harry Rumormonger Reid…
After tripling and quartering down on the BIG LIE (senate floor campaigning cowardice) that Mitt Romney is a tax cheat, Recede Reid hasn’t been heard from. But, aah… Yesterday, he sent one of his aides out to furiously fan the flames of fiction. It didn’t go so well:
After days of silence on Harry Reid’s disputed claim that Mitt Romney hasn’t paid taxes for a decade, a top aide finally spilled details on the supposed source of the allegation — only to issue a wholesale retraction of those details by Thursday evening.
Reid aide Jose Parra first made the claims in an interview on Los Angeles’ KTLK radio, defending his boss’ decision to trumpet the tax charge last week on the Senate floor and explaining a bit about the source.
“This person is an investor in Bain Capital, a Republican also, and somebody … who has been dealing with Romney’s company for a long, long time and he has direct knowledge on this,” Parra said.
Parra’s statement comes after Romney challenged fib-squibber Harry to “put up or shut up.”
Stoolpigeon Parra backpedals…
However, after some media attention on Parra’s radio interview, Parra issued a statement taking those remarks back.
“I do not know the party affiliation of the source, how long he invested with Bain, or his relationship to Romney …” he said.
Runaway Reid… No surprise here (because he’s on vacation, far away from the protection of the Senate floor!):
Asked Friday about the mix-up, a Reid aide told FoxNews.com the senator “does not have any plans to reveal further information about the identity of his source.”
What a cacophony of calumny and cowardice coming from Obama’s defenders!
Chicken-hearted Harry is holed up somewhere among the cacti in Nevada hoping he won’t choke on the crow he’ll soon be eating.
Hey, Harry. YOU haven’t released your tax information, the unemployment rate in Nevada is still at 11.6% , and Las Vegans are suffering under a 12.6% jobless rate. No matter how much you try to distract, unemployment across America is at 8.3%. And, what about your complete and utter failure to pass a Senate budget in almost 1200 days? What are you hiding? If you’re such a smart guy, why don’t you figure out how to put a budget together?
Senator Secret, if you’re such a lover of the TRUTH, listen to this: Your job performance stinks and you are sorely lacking in ethics. A private-sector employer would have fired you long ago.
Senate Leader Harry Reid makes time to play pat-a-cake with Michelle Obama but hasn’t been able to squeeze in the time, for nearly four years, to pass a budget. (Photo taken June 1, 2010, Nevada desert)
The evidence continues to mount and it is overwhelming! When taken in aggregate, Obama’s agenda for America is calculating and clear – to disable and dismantle America by debt, dependency and deception, one step at a time. Obama’s America does not comport to my America!
Let’s look at some of his actions in the past three years, each of which are illustrated or discussed below. Please note that this list is not complete, for if it were we would not have sufficient space for other posts. Notwithstanding, any one point herein is enough to validate an agenda of destruction. Barack Obama and those that have surrounded him are as duplicitous, disingenuous and un-American as you can be; with each hiding behind the veil of generosity and flattery and granting largesse from the public treasury in an attempted purchase of our American society (see video below). On the surface their actions may seem benign while behind the scenes their scheming to dismantle our freedoms and liberty is terribly malignant. In times past I thought Obama’s minions were just deceived by his flattery, position and power, but their actions are so revealing and overt in advancing Obama’s ideological agenda, which ideology is firmly entrenched in socialist and communistic principles, that they must be one in purpose. (Dirty Harry’s recent rant, as noted by Vic Lundquist, is simply a reflection of the disingenuous character of Obama’s campaign.)
If there is any doubt about Obama, we can study his brief and ‘hidden’ history, his writings and his associations, and therein know his ideology. His actions don’t belie his ideological heritage. In fact, his actions embrace his ideology. By removing the blinders, we clearly see who Obama really is by virtue of his associations, including but not limited to his mentoring from his friend Frank Davis (an avowed advocate and member of the Communist Party); his past membership in Chicago’s New Party (a Socialist Society); his affiliations and friendship with the Reverend Jeremiah Wright whose anti-American rhetoric is as fomenting as the clerics in the radical jihadist movement; his association and friendship with Bill Ayers, a convicted anti-American terrorist; his adoption of the teachings of Saul Alinsky (the father of community activist thuggery); and his associations with other unsavory characters. As individuals we tend to align ourselves and associate with those that are most like us in principles and ideals. Each of those noted above exposes Obama for who he is and reveals the foundations of his character. So is Obama! Why should we doubt? The actions are reflective of the man (see below).
Mitt Romney’s latest ad that reveals Obama’s shadow initiative to purchase society and create greater dependency.
Obama’s continued promotion and advocacy for America’s dependency, evidenced by his untenable food stamp initiatives!
Obama’s welfare state expansion! (more…)
Harry Reid’s slimy, false accusation that Governor Romney paid no taxes in ten years was stunning in that Reid used the floor of the Senate to make the insinuation.
Sunday, RNC chairman Reince Priebus referred to Harry Reid as “a dirty liar” — twice. Greta Van Susteren also used the words “dirty” and “deplorable political behavior” to describe Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi; strong words even for Susteren.
Harry Reid’s fabrication is nothing more than a simple ploy to change the subject by accusation. It is no different than the horribly deplorable question posed to any man: “How many times did you beat your wife last year?” There is no positive way to answer it. Such a question posits an accusation while it also deflects attention from the persons (or party) posing the question (or from the critical subjects of jobs, the economy, debt). No matter how a man answers this question, he is judged guilty by the less studied (i.e., the TV voter) by their accepting the accusation on its face. Even Harry Reid’s style of gutter politics did not allow him to ask that question because even the TV voter would never believe the accusation. Mitt Romney’s reputation is above reproach and the only way to dispose the puny accuser is to ignore him, which is what Governor Romney has done.
I repeat what I have said in several previous posts. Consider the sources: Barack Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi. Need I say more? Unfortunately, I’m afraid these three have yet to reach the lowest levels to which they are willing to stoop.
This video clip is excellent at revealing Reid and Pelosi for who they are: Deplorable politicians. BTW, at the end of the clip Priebus discusses possible additional speakers at the convention:
American Values: “In God We Trust” — “Liberty” — “E Pluribus Unum”
Twitter Follow: @VicLundquist— Dedicated to all members of The United States military and their families
It’s his 104th round of golf. But, hey it’s his birthday, right?
The Republican National Committee thought the day was important enough to send a custom cake on over to the Oval Office.
Considering Obama asked Americans to forgo giving birthday and wedding presents to their loved ones in order to donate more to his reelection campaign, I think that was right decent of the RNC:
“Got a birthday, anniversary, or wedding coming up?” the campaign wrote in a blog post. “Let your friends know how important this election is to you—register with Obama 2012, and ask for a donation in lieu of a gift.”
“It’s a great way to support the President on your big day. Plus, it’s a gift that we can all appreciate—and goes a lot further than a gravy bowl,” the campaign wrote.
Give the baker a raise!
If you’d like to let Obama know what you think of his birthday, send a card here.
My wishes for the President on this special occasion:
A gravy bowl with a copy of the U.S. Constitution tucked inside, along with a hefty can of Pledge furniture polish to buff up that burgeoning Pinocchio schnoz of his. (Maybe he’ll share with Scary Harry Reid.)
NOTE: This opinion piece is the author’s only. It does not reflect the opinions of any other author of MRC or any person in the Romney campaign. Mitt Romney Central has no affiliation whatsoever with the Mitt Romney campaign.
Senator Harry Mislead Reid
Harry Reid crossed the line this week! I have followed American politics closely since about 1968 and I can think of few people that have stooped as low as Reid in the execution of their job in the Senate. Forget the fact that any bill promoted to the Senate from the House dies in the Senate at his hands. Or the fact he completely disobeys the law to not submit an annual budget. Now this! (See Luke’s post just below.)
The opening segment of the Hannity Show last night is classic. His guest was Ann Coulter and she tells it like it is. Good for Governor Romney for calling Reid out. In my opinion, Governor Romney should not let up until he is able to flush Harry Reid out from the rock under which he loves to hide. Governor Romney comes right out and states Reid’s source is probably the White House — good for him for calling him out! It is completely appropriate that he used the word “dishonest” to describe Harry Reid’s assertion.
In this video clip, Ann Coulter describes seven people that Mr. Obama maligned in his political career in his no holds barred, take no prisoners approach to politics. His ambition for power knows no bounds. Truth has not been an important requirement for Mr. Obama.
What we are seeing this week from Reid is the kind of politics in which he feels most comfortable: “Wrong…Untrue…Dishonest…Inaccurate” as stated by Governor Romney (I think we need to do an investigative report on David Axelrod; what do you think?):
Lest you have forgotten, take a look at this excerpt from Harry Reid’s current Wikipedia web page:
Reid apologized on January 9, 2010, for racially tinged comments he had made when Obama was campaigning for president. In private conversations, Reid had remarked that Obama could win the Presidency because the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama—to whom he referred as being “light-skinned” and “with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one”. These comments had been recently revealed by journalists Mark Halperin and John Heilemann in Game Change, their book about the 2008 election.
If you have not listened to liberal talk shows lately, their drumbeat now is that conservatives are trying to run Obama out of office because of racism. Please!
Is there any rhetoric beneath Harry Reid? Obviously there is not.
Let’s use a little logic here for a moment. Remember that Gov. Romney ran for president in 2007-08 and would have publicly released his tax returns as the GOP nominee had he beat McCain, correct? The probability that his 2006 and 2007 tax returns contain anything even remotely dishonest, illegal, or unpaid is so remote it is laughable! What would be discovered if we could see multiple years of tax returns? That Governor and Mrs. Romney paid a higher percentage of their income to charities than all the Democrats in the Senate combined? Also, let’s go with reputation. I would line Governor Romney up against the likes of Harry Reid any day of the week (and a year of Sundays) as to reputation. Harry Reid has never had a real job and he has been a politician in Las Vegas since 1968. 44 years in Vegas! Since 1968! Need I say more? If you had to take a wild guess, which of the two reputations is most trustworthy overall do you think? Think of what would fall out of Mr. Reid’s closet if he were ever attempt to run for POTUS! Seriously!
Obama is stooping to the lowest levels to use the likes of Harry Reid to do his bidding! What more is there to say? It was totally appropriate that Governor Romney used the words ‘wrong,’ ‘untrue,’ ‘dishonest,’ and ‘inaccurate’ to describe Mr. Reid’s false accusations. By the way, we have not seen the lowest levels of where the Democrats will take this election cycle. They are desperate and they are scared. Power is their goal and they see it slipping away.
It is all about distraction. Never forget the Democrat strategy. Consider the sources: Harry Reid of Las Vegas politics and Barack Obama of Chicago politics.
Next, we may see Obama take military action somewhere in the world just to stay in the saddle. I would never put it past this man.
American Values: “In God We Trust” — “Liberty” — “E Pluribus Unum”
Twitter Follow: @VicLundquist— Dedicated to all members of The United States military and their families
What is the connection between Rick Santorum, Arlen Specter, Obamacare and the difference made by ONE VOTE?
Governor Mitt Romney adroitly underscored a very revealing part of Rick Santorum’s political history during CNN’s GOP presidential debate Wednesday evening in Mesa, Arizona…
In 2004, while serving in the United States Senate, Santorum supported and campaigned for incumbent, liberal Senator Arlen Specter over conservative challenger Pat Toomey. Specter would later go on to cast the ONE VOTE DIFFERENCE – the vote that enabled the passage of Obamacare.
Yesterday, FOX News’ Megyn Kelly (host of America Live) conducted a post-CNN debate focus group. Among the debate segments she aired was the one vote difference exchange between Santorum and Romney. The entire video is worth viewing (the general consensus was thumbs-up for Romney!). Note the conversation @ :50 – 1:08:
A look back:
In 2004, conservative Congressman Patrick Joseph Toomey ran for the senate seat in the Pennsylvania primary race against fellow-Republican incumbent Senator Arlen Specter. Toomey’s campaign focused on Specter’s well known non-conservative leanings – especially on fiscal issues. Rick Santorum not only supported Specter, he appeared in a television ad for him. Santorum’s support for Specter proved crucial. In the end, although election results were close, Toomey lost the Republican primary to Specter.
How calamitous was Specter’s victory?
In April 2009, with the Tea Party movement in full swing, Senator Specter sensed he would be defeated at the polls. Working closely and covertly with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Obama was licking his chops), Specter switched political parties. He became a Democrat. In the process, he rewarded liberals with a likely filibuster-proof Senate majority – a 60th vote.
Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum way back when...
Near the end of December 2009, Specter cast the 60th vote for cloture on Obamacare – which enabled the massive, unread, secret-laden bill to proceed to a full vote. Specter later cast the 50th vote for Obamacare. And, because Vice President Joe Biden held the power of casting the tie-breaking vote on Obamacare, Specter’s vote guaranteed passage:
They’re nothing if not prompt. Voting has begun on HR 3590, the Senate’s health care bill. It only needs 50 votes to pass; the only suspense is whether or not it will receive all 60 Democratic votes. C-SPAN is using the special running tally it reserves for important votes.
That’s it. Arlen Specter, the former Republican, secures the 50th vote needed for passage.
When Specter won in 2004, given his history, it was easy to predict that he would vote with Democrats on key issues. Had Pat Toomey won in 2004, Democrats wouldn’t have garnered a 60th vote in 2009. Obamacare would not have passed.
As Rick Perry doubles down on his illegal immigration stances, Romney for President has released a new video…
Boston, MA – Today, Romney for President released a new web video, “Thank You Governor Perry.” The video highlights Governor Perry’s support for in-state tuition benefits for illegal immigrants. This position is shared by Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Sen. Harry Reid, and President Obama, and in 2003, former Mexico President Vicente Fox praised Governor Perry for supporting in-state tuition for illegal immigrants.
VIDEO TEXT: “Who Supports Governor Perry’s Decision To Give In-State Tuition To Illegal Immigrants?”
VOICE: “Who Supports Governor Perry’s Decision To Give In-State Tuition To Illegal Immigrants?”
VIDEO TEXT: “Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid”
• While serving in the Illinois Senate, President Obama sponsored legislation to “allow undocumented immigrant students to pay in-state tuition at public colleges and universities.” “[T]he Senate voted 55-1 to allow undocumented immigrant students to pay in-state tuition at public colleges and universities. Currently, the undocumented students are required to pay out-of-state tuition even if they spend their entire education in Illinois schools. House Bill 60 would change that, allowing in-state tuition rates for undocumented students who have attended school in Illinois for at least three years and graduated high school in the state.” (Rich Frederick, “Senate OKs In-State Tuition Bill,” The State Journal-Register, 5/8/03; Illinois General Assembly Website, www.ilga.gov, 9/29/11)
Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama, and Harry Reid support in-state tuition discounts for illegals.
• In 2007, Senator Harry Reid supported a bill that “would have allowed illegal immigrants to become legal residents and qualify for lower in-state tuition rates at state universities.” “In late 2007, the Senate rejected an attempt to pass the Dream Act which would have allow illegal immigrants under age 30 to gain legal status if they attended college or joined the military. Fairness demanded action, said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, arguing that ‘children should not be penalized for the actions of their parents’ who brought them to the United States. But the bill would have allowed illegal immigrants to become legal residents and qualify for lower in-state tuition rates at state universities.” (Tom Curry, “Immigration Impasse Long In The Making,” NBC News, 7/29/10)
• “The Dream Act would allow students who have lived in the country since age 15 to apply for conditional legal residence… They would then be able to work and pay in-state college tuition rates. .” (Eddy Ramirez, “College Board Backs Bill To Legalize Undocumented Students,” USNews.com, 4/22/09)
• Reid: “Children should not be penalized for the actions of their parents.” (Tom Curry, “An Immigration Impasse Long In The Making,” MSNBC.com, 7/29/10)
• House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi supports in-state tuition discounts for illegal immigrants, saying “Our country does not benefit by depriving our young people of an education.” “Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi stopped in Tempe on Monday to tout congressional Democrats’ push to make college more affordable for young people, including those without legal residency. … Pelosi made reference to the effect of Proposition 300, an Arizona initiative passed by voters in November that requires illegal immigrants to pay out-of-state tuition to attend public universities and community colleges. Pelosi said she met with a young woman Monday who wants to attend college but lacks documentation proving legal residency. ‘Our country does not benefit by our depriving young people of an education,’ Pelosi said.” (Josh Kelley, “Pelosi Addresses College Cost,” The Arizona Republic, 2/20/07)
VIDEO TEXT: “Even”
Former President of Mexico Vincente Fox appreciates Rick Perry's in-state tuition discount for illegals.
FORMER PRESIDENT OF MEXICO VICENTE FOX: “I Want To Publicly Recognize Governor Perry And The State Of Texas By Having Taken That Step Forward”
• Vicente Fox: “I want to publicly recognize Governor Perry and the state of Texas by having taken that step forward.” (Vicente Fox, Remarks, Austin, TX, 11/6/03)
• Houston Chronicle: “Fox Praised Perry For Texas’ Policy Of Allowing Qualified Undocumented Migrants To … Pay The Same Tuition As Citizens And Legal Residents.” “Fox, Perry and their aides met behind closed doors Thursday morning to discuss policy issues and appeared at a joint news conference. Perry hosted Fox at a luncheon … Fox praised Perry for Texas’ policy of allowing qualified undocumented migrants to attend state universities and pay the same tuition as citizens and legal residents.” (Dudley Althaus and Armando Villafranca, “Fox, Perry Square Off Over Immigration, Water Issues,” The Houston Chronicle, 11/7/03)
FOX: “When You Decided To Give Access To Mexican Migrants To Universities In Texas”
• Vicente Fox: “When you decided to give access to Mexican migrants to universities in Texas.” (Vicente Fox, Remarks, Austin, TX, 11/6/03)
RICK PERRY: “If you say that we should not educate children who have come into our state for no other reason than they’ve been brought there by no fault of their own, I don’t think you have a heart.”
• Rick Perry: “If you say that we should not educate children who have come into our state for no other reason than they’ve been brought there by no fault of their own, I don’t think you have a heart.” (Republican Presidential Candidates Debate, Orlando, FL, 9/22/11)
VIDEO TEXT: “Mitt Romney Has A Different View”
MITT ROMNEY: “Four years of college, you’re almost $100,000 discount if you are an illegal alien to go to the University of Texas. If you are a United States citizen from any one of the other 49 states, you have to pay $100,000 more. That doesn’t make sense to me.”
• Mitt Romney: “Four years of college, you’re almost $100,000 discount if you are an illegal alien to go to the University of Texas. If you are a United States citizen from any one of the other 49 states, you have to pay $100,000 more. That doesn’t make sense to me.” (Republican Presidential Candidates Debate, Orlando, FL, 9/22/11) (emphasis added )
An independent group of prominent Romney supporters, who believe in his unique abilities to restore America, have launched a super PAC, entitled Restore Our Future PAC. The purpose of the new PAC is to fundraise and spend money to help elect Governor Romney, with plans to go toe-to-toe with a similar already-operating super PAC for Obama (created by his White House aides):
[…] Restore Our Future PAC, spearheaded by several prominent GOP strategists, is the latest in an expanding list of new groups that have formed to take advantage of court rulings allowing corporations, unions and tycoons to spend millions of dollars on elections without restrictions.
The development provides further evidence that Romney is shaping up as the candidate to beat in the GOP money race, and underscores the extensive role that well-funded outside groups are likely to play in the 2012 elections.
The new pro-Romney PAC aims to go head-to-head with Priorities USA Action, a similar super PAC led by former White House aides in support of President Obama. But Restore Our Future PAC could also be used to go after other Republicans if necessary in the contentious GOP primary season, those familiar with the operation said.
The group has been actively soliciting donations in recent weeks, but organizers declined to say how much has been raised.
“This is an independent effort focused on getting Romney elected president,” said Charles R. Spies, the super PAC’s treasurer, who served as Romney’s general counsel in 2008. “We will do that by focusing on jobs and his ability to fix the economy.”
[…] Gail Gitcho, the Romney campaign’s communications director, said outside support was welcome given the existence of Democratic super PACs and predictions that the Obama campaign could raise as much as $1 billion for his reelection.
“We are pleased that independent groups will be active in fighting this entrenched power so the country can get back to work,” Gitcho said.
Restore Our Future PAC’s board of directors is comprised of Spies; Carl Forti, Romney’s 2008 political director; and Larry McCarthy, a member of the Romney media team in 2008.
Obama supporters, including Harry Reid, are actively raising money with additional super PACS to defeat Republicans:
In addition to Priorities USA, Democratic operatives have launched two other super PACs to help House (House Majority PAC) and Senate candidates (Majority PAC). The groups are also enlisting the aid of current Democratic leaders to help raise money.
Earlier this week, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) sent out a letter on behalf of Majority PAC, which includes several former top Reid aides.
“There can be no greater priority than protecting the Democratic majority in the Senate,” Reid wrote in a fundraising e-mail, which was first reported by the Center for Responsive Politics. “I’m writing to introduce you to a group solely devoted to leveling the playing field and protecting the Democratic majority in the Senate: Majority PAC.”
The Senate Majority Leader took a jab at Mitt Romney on Monday by stating that he would support Jon Huntsman – over Romney – for the Republican presidential nomination. (He said a few other things, as well.)
A rather smallish winged fella has been recruited to help the Republican National Committee (RNC) raise a bit of extra cashola. Yes, Cupid is working the internet today and has loaded his quiver with e-card valentines. Not quite the usual messages of affection, they contain bits of humorous barbs toward Obama’s policies. The RNC is feeling the love and cashing in; they’ve sent over 47,000 valentines so far.
Harry Reid (Refers to his statement on March 5, 2010: “Today is a big day in America. Only 36,000 people lost their jobs today, which is really good.”)
Nancy Pelosi (Refers to her March 9, 2010 statement on health care “…we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it.”)
Cupid has survived all these years because he’s a capitalist…
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Meanwhile, Governor Romney is in Las Vegas today to deliver the keynote address at the 51st annual convention of the International Franchise Association. 2,500 members will assemble in the MGM Grand with their theme of “Building the Future Together” very much on their minds. They couldn’t have asked a more qualified guy to inform and inspire them! Read more here (corrected link).
May all of you enjoy a day of goodness and a sweet treat, or two.
Days of the congressional lame duck session are dwindling (more so because Harry Reid has vowed to recess Congress by December 17th – a full week before Christmas). While news is focused on Obama and the revolt being waged by his lefty-left base over his ‘caving’ to Republicans on his tax cut proposals, another jam-it-through piece of legislation is underway known as…
S.3827 – the DREAM Act (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act).
Could President Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi be hoping the distraction will provide camouflage for them to lob into law a bill that would allow aliens citizenship through military service or two years of attending college? The ‘nudging ploy’ to give blanket amnesty to millions of illegal residents is scheduled for vote tomorrow. And, DREAM Act proponents are organized to hold protests, vigils, and man phone banks:
Yesterday, U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Ranking Member of the Senate Judiciary Committee who has taken a lead position on S.3827, spoke on the Senate floor today to voice is opposition to the mass amnesty proposal. He pointed out that DREAM Act’s amnesty does not require a high school diploma or a college degree, and eligibility would be open to a number of illegal aliens with criminal records, and much, much more. He also elucidated the points included in his recent white paper:
DREAM Act Mass Amnesty Would Be ‘A Disaster’ – Monday, December 6, 2010
The public will not allow us to repeat the mistakes of the 1986 amnesty. They will not fall for the ruse that we can have amnesty first and security later. They understand that if we do not secure the border first, we may never secure it at all.
Despite this—and despite historic losses in the recent election—Democrat leaders are now pushing a reckless proposal for mass amnesty known as the DREAM Act.
At a time when our nation is struggling with high unemployment and runaway government spending, this bill would authorize millions of illegal workers and impose an even greater burden on taxpayers.
Making matters worse, those eligible for the DREAM Act amnesty include illegal aliens with criminal records.
And all of this is being rushed through a lame-duck Congress with no committee review. Democrat Leaders have even introduced four versions of the same bill in just over two months, three in the last 13 days. It’s been a shell game that abuses the legislative process.
Is it any wonder that the public has lost faith in this institution?
Americans want us to enforce our laws. But we are considering a bill that would reward and encourage their violation.
Americans want Congress to end the lawlessness. But this bill would have us surrender to it.
Consider a few of the DREAM Act’s most troubling provisions:
• The DREAM Act is not limited to children. Illegal aliens as old as 30 or 35 are eligible on the date of enactment. And they remain eligible to apply at any future age, as the registration window does not close.
• You not need a high school diploma, a college degree or military service in order to receive DREAM Act Amnesty. Illegal aliens can receive indefinite legal status as long as they have a GED. And they can receive permanent legal status and a guaranteed path to citizenship as long as they complete just two years of college or trade school.
• One version of the DREAM Act offers illegal aliens in-state tuition for which many American citizens are not eligible. All four versions provide illegal aliens with federal educations benefits such as work-study programs, federal student loans and access to public colleges that are already short on space and resources.
• The CBO says the bill would add $5 billion to the deficit. But the number is likely to be dramatically higher. The CBO has clearly failed to account for a number of major costs factors with the DREAM Act, including unemployment, public education costs, chain migration, and fraud. Nor does the CBO take it account what history has proven: passing amnesty will incentivize even more illegality and lawlessness at the border. In addition the CBO assumes a large portion of these will obtain jobs, but there is no surplus of job opportunities. The score doesn’t count those who can’t get jobs because of this competition.
• Conservative estimates say that between 1.3 and 2.1 million illegal aliens will be immediately eligible for DREAM Act Amnesty. But that number will grow significantly as the bill has no cap or sunset. Moreover, those who obtain legal status can then do the same for their relatives – even if those relatives brought them here illegally in the first place. As a result, the number of green cards granted could easily triple.
• Many with criminal records will also be eligible for the DREAM Act’s amnesty. They simply must have less than three misdemeanor convictions. Those potentially eligible would include drunk drivers, gang members, and even those who have committed certain sexual offenses. The most recent version of the bill also gives the Secretary of Homeland Security broad authority to waive ineligibility for even the most severe criminal offenders and those who pose a threat to our national security.
• Those who commit document fraud or who lie to immigration authorities are eligible for the amnesty as well. This is particularly troubling as it contains a potential loophole for high-risk individuals to be placed on a pathway to citizenship. One of the warning signs missed prior to 9/11 were the fraudulent visa applications submitted by the 9/11 hijackers. But this bill would likely make it more difficult to combat immigration fraud from dangerous regions in the Middle East.
• The DREAM Act even contains a safe harbor provision that would prevent many applicants from being removed as long as their application is pending—even if they have a serious criminal record. This provision could dramatically hinder federal authorities and will undoubtedly unleash a torrent of costly litigation that will suck up untold hours of our law enforcement resources and abilities that ought to be focused on the border.
In short, this bill would be a disaster.
Yet Democrat leaders remain committed to their push for this amnesty. They are again defying the public will and sending the world a message that our nation is not serious about the integrity of our borders and our laws.
American citizenship is the envy of the world. But central to our nation’s greatness is our respect for the rule of law. By eroding that respect through reckless and irresponsible amnesty we would do a disservice not only to the 300 million Americans who call this nation home, but to all those future citizens who are applying and waiting in line to enter our country lawfully.”
Read the full account of Senator Sessions’ remarks here.
Governor Romney opposes amnesty.
Illegals from Mexico make their way across AZ desert.
Meanwhile, amid protests and vigils in favor of the legislation, Latino leaders who OPPOSE the DREAM Act met today in Washington D.C. to show their dissatisfaction with the push to pass the bill:
According to Carmen Morales, Latino activist and a leader of the coalition, “Latino leaders are gathered today in solidarity. We are here to send a strong message to Congress that as Latinos, we stand staunchly opposed to any measure that puts Americans at a disadvantage and rewards illegal behavior.”
According to congressional statements and the Migration Policy Institute, if passed, the bill could potentially grant amnesty to as many as 2.1 million illegal immigrants. With unemployment officially at 9.8% this is a huge mistake. “I think progressives and conservatives alike can agree on the need to support working and middle-class citizens during a depressed economy,” said Leah Durant, Executive Director of Progressives for Immigration Reform. “This bill would provide in-state tuition rates and residency benefits to illegal immigrant students when many Americans are hurting the most. What makes sense is for America’s jobs and tuition benefits to be reserved for people who are legally entitled to compete for them.”
Key provisions of the DREAM Act would:
• Waive numerical limitations on green cards, and prohibit any numerical limitation on the number of persons eligible for citizenship under the bill’s provisions.
• Allow certain aliens to qualify for in-state tuition rates, even while this benefit is denied to U.S. citizens and legally present aliens residing in other states.
Some legislators hoped the DREAM vote would be brought up first in the House to create momentum for passage in the Senate. The DREAM Act wasn’t expected to receive the 60 votes needed to advance in the Senate because Republicans vowed to block any legislation brought before the chamber until the Bush tax cuts were dealt with. Now that Obama has moved toward resolving the tax situation, will the DREAM vote occur tomorrow as scheduled and will Republicans hold their ground? The open warfare Obama is receiving from his base on his tax compromise may delay the vote. Either way, ORP (Obama, Reid Pelosi) will employ their usual MO and try to ram-rush this through. Do contact your congressional leaders via phone, fax, and email to urge them to vote against the DREAM Act.