Debate Night: Again, A Time For Prayer

When Mitt and Ann Romney were preparing to deliver their addresses to the GOP convention, the authors of mittromneycentral.com, EvangelicalsForMitt and Article 6 Blog, joined together in an unusual joint post to invite our readers to pray on their behalf.

We know many persons of faith united in prayer behind Mitt before the last debate. It’s easy to look back at how well Mitt and Ann did on both occasions and chalk it up to coincidence or listlessness of Mitt’s opponent. We do not. We believe prayer played a key role in how well each performed.

So now, before a debate that will affect the course of our country for years to come, we feel it appropriate to ask again.

Again, it is a time for prayer.

Please join us.

Again we do not ask this lightly. Politics is a personal matter, and many on both sides of the issues feel they’re in the right. But we believe prayer and faith have a role in public life, regardless of one’s stance on the issues, and invite those of all persuasions to do likewise. We believe “In God We Trust” should be as true today as the day it was first adopted as our national motto. And as each president that has spoken the words “God bless America,” including President Obama, has invoked the blessings of God on our country, we believe it’s appropriate for everyone to now do the same.

In the words of one of our readers:

The debate is just a few hours away and we will hope and pray for Gov. Romney to do well. Massive prayer and fasting (if you can) is needed again for this debate, just as it was for the previous one. Never underestimate the power of God. He will open hearts and minds of those that are searching for the truth, and confuse and confound the words of the opponent. Humble yourselves, even if you don’t pray, now’s the time to learn, so we can do our part in helping Mitt present his message, knowing we are all behind him in thought and mind.

Just as we made this request at the time of the Republican convention, we don’t ask for a miracle in the form some would expect we might. While many of us will be privately praying the election goes the way we would like, today we ask that God extend his grace for the protection and safety of our troops, to strengthen Governor Romney, that he will benefit fully from his preparation, that he will have clarity of mind, that he will recall the facts needed to make his case, that he will clearly make his arguments and rebut unfair criticism, that his audience will understand, and that those hearing Governor Romney will listen with an open mind and be willing to hear. We ask that there be a full debate of the issues, so that the American people will be armed with the knowledge necessary to make their decision.

Please join us.

About Paul Johnson:

Paul Johnson is an attorney for venture capitalists and their portfolio companies by day, husband and father of three teenage boys by night. He’s an avid supporter of Mitt Romney for president and, as a graduate of Brigham Young University, a BYU football and basketball fan. Paul also enjoys competing in triathlons. Because he’s in the “Clydesdale” (over 200 lb.) class, he has even had podium finishes from time to time. Paul also has the distinction of being a big enough U2 fan to be willing to travel to Dublin to see them in their native environment.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Debate Night: Again, A Time For Prayer

Prayers works! I pray to Jah to give Gov Romney guidance and peace.

2. Katrina says:

I am happy to add my prayers to yours on this occasion. I also firmly believe that the great debater, President Obama, was confounded, and Mitt Romney made a clear, convincing case for his presidency because of the power of prayer. It can happen again, not in the same exact way, but with the same power. I look forward to seeing truth win out in the end. All I ask is that people see with clear eyes and know what they are voting for. Though we are all of varying faiths, thank you for not being ashamed of religion.

3. Steven Kapp Perry says:

Perhaps instead of telling God who should be President, you could ask for him to help both candidates make their positions clear and to grant us understanding to know who God thinks would be best for the country?

4. Leland Carlson says:

I pray that the Lord will bless Mitt Romney in the debate tonight to do well and prevail.

5. RITA says:

GOD BE WITH YOU MITT DO YOUR BEST IT IS ALL WE CAN ASK .. GOD BLESS AND PRAYERS FROM US ALL HERE .

6. Karen Paschall says:

Know that we are behind you. We know you will do a great job tonight. Our prayers are with you.

7. Donald Powell says:

PLEASE DON’T ALLOW ANY COMMENTS ON THIS BOARD WHICH MAY CHALLENGE YOUR INDISPUTABLY CORRECT WORLD VIEW.
    After all, debate is rather dangerous, wouldn’t you say?
    God Bless America!

8. @Donald – your other comment I deleted just for it’s snark, spite, and disrespect for things sacred to others. We allow opposing view points, but not gainsaying trash.

9. Donald Powell says:

@Nate – so you think the bible is against redistributing wealth from the rich to the poor?

10. Shirley Casale says:

I pray with my heart and sole God that you will be with Mitt Romney , Paul Ryan and all the American People who worship you in spirit and truth to help us overcome all the evil in this world by blessing us once again to bring you back into our lives and help us to turn back to your words and love always in Jesus Name I ask you Lord Amen !Please protect our Troops and bring them home safely from harms way wherever they may be .Thank you Lord God for Hearing our prayers !

11. Bonnie says:

Prayers Asked!!! 100% Mitt Win!!!

12. kim yannon says:

Praying daily that Governor Romney has strength, clarity of thought and speech and remains honorable and truthful in the face of adversity.

13. Mary Frances Sackenheim says:

Thoughts and prayers are with you daily!!

@Donald Powell,
    “For all evils there are two remedies- time and silence.”
    Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

get the hell outta here!

I’m praying Mitt will open hearts and minds that are seeking the truth. May he feel the millions of prayers that are being said for him right now 20 minutes before the debate. Mitt is a Man of strong faith in God and he knows where to turn for strength, hope, and guidance. He does not rely on his own being, but of an unseen power that guides us all if we but ask.
    Mitt is not only a great man, but more importantly a good man. He will speak the truth…we have to listen.

16. Renee says:

Please pray and let the Lord confuse and confound the mind of Obama.

17. Thea says:

Donald Powell, THE Bible says ….If a Man doesn’t work, he doesn’t eat !! It’s doesn’t say that half of us should work to pay for those who don’t Sir !!!

18. Donald Powell says:

@shirley casale – do you think the God whom you hope will appoint Mitt Romney to the presidency was the reason Hugo Chavez was elected in Venezuela the other day?

19. kelly Gregory says:

I am praying that God will reveal HIS man for the country. I am just a mere mortal and though I strongly support Mitt, I will learn to be content in any outcome. God knows and is omnipotent, If we truly as in the end times, I think that Mr Obama will be the correct choice. If Jesus tarries, Mitt will be elected. He has what it takes to keep this nation alive. Good luck, Mitt. I was honored to have met you last week in Richmond.

20. Susan Powell says:

I agree with Kelly Gregory I also pray that the Shekina Glory be present in that debate and that what is spoken comes from Adonai Your heart to us and to America at this time in the Name of Yeshua

21. Susan Powell says:

I still agree with you Kelly, and I am too strongly for Mitt as our President. However I don’t necessarily believe that the election of Governor Romney necessarily will mean that Jesus will tarry. Jesus could come at any time even during the term(s) of Romney. We need to to be ready anyway. Let us pray that Romney and Obama will be ready as well as the rest of our country

22. Victor Lundquist says:

So grateful for this post. And I am grateful for the prayer of faith for America and those who would lead our nation. In this regard, I enjoyed what @Steven Kapp Perry wrote above. To his point, I think we are seeing the fulfillment of his thoughts and prayers in this regard.

As I look back over the last few months, I have been in disbelief at the many crazy decisions President Obama has made that have significantly damaged his candidacy for reelection. To that, I never would have guessed Obama would do the dumb things he has done! I am not so presumptuous to absolutely assert that the arm of God is involved (I believe it is), but from my perspective, almost everything President Obama has done this year has been on the dumb side. It is truly stunning to me.

We at MRC may provide another reminder of this type as the election day draws near, but it is so apparent to me that millions of faithful people of America have been praying for our nation and its leaders everyday for a long time.

I know without any doubt whatsoever that He will guide America and He will guide those who serve Him and put Him first.

We here at MRC are grateful for all of you that have left comments here, and the many thousands of others that have not, who continue to exercise great faith in behalf of Mitt Romney and America. It matters. It matters a lot.

The prayers of faith never go unanswered. Now, we must do everything within our power to get out and make a difference as I know you have been doing.

Very well said Victor as usual. Thanks for all your efforts. You’ll be blessed.

24. Mary says:

Speaking for myself and my husband, we pray each and every night, the Rosary,and ask Blessed Mother, Mary, and Jesus, to guide Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan in all they do before the election and guide them directly into the seats of President and Vice-president. We will get God back into our schools and people will know that God is ruler of our nation.

25. cindy says:

Paul Johnson is it true you used lds mailing lists and sent emails to members of the Mormon faith. If so you just broke a rule of the Church not to use lists of members for anything but church business certainly not for politics, do you think Jesus plays politics. Im praying that the lord will put the best man in office. I happen to believe that man is Barack Obama not Mitt Romney.