David and Nancy French: A Call to Greater Action

Nancy & David French, founders of Evangelicals for Mitt (co-founder: Charles Mitchell) — Standing with the Tennessee delegation at the 2012 Republican National Convention

Of all content I have posted since writing about Mitt Romney from 2007, I consider this piece written by David and Nancy French to be the most important, by far.

David and Nancy are great American patriots by any definition of that word and they are true friends of Mitt and Ann Romney. This opinion of theirs is directed to members of Governor Romney’s church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but could easily apply to any person of faith.

As you read Nancy’s and David’s call to greater action, please take the time to explore the hyperlinks they included. These are powerful resources in and of themselves.

Whatever you do, you have to watch the video of Chuck Norris and his wife — incredible! Please help MRC publicize this message far and wide. (David’s and Nancy’s bios are included at the end)

Update 1: John Schroeder, an MRC friend and writer for Article VI Blog wrote an awesome piece today that dovetails Nancy’s and David’s call to action. Click here: “Now Is No Time To Be Shy”

Update 2: Hugh Hewitt linked to this post and titled it, “What Will Mormons Do?” — Will Mormons go all in for Romney/Ryan?

By David and Nancy French

Dear Mormon Friends, It’s Time to Go “All-In” for Mitt

Nancy and I started Evangelicals for Mitt in 2006 with one simple idea: To enlist the mighty machinery of evangelical activism behind the single best candidate for President of the United States, Mitt Romney. Even then we could see the need for a man of Mitt’s unique talents and now – with labor participation the lowest in 30 years and with the most sluggish recovery since the Great Depression – the need is even greater.

We were more idealistic back in those days. Convinced of Mitt’s merits, we saw our task as relatively easy. Introduce Mitt to evangelicals, deal with the relatively easy questions about theology and politics, and then watch him win social conservatives on his way to the White House. Of course politics is never easy, and there are always competitors for the same set of voters. First Mike Huckabee won enough evangelicals to hand John McCain the nomination in 2008, then Rick Santorum swept southern conservatives and challenged Mitt for the evangelical vote in 2012.

But now, all that is past. Evangelicals are finally united behind Mitt (even 2008 Huckabee supporter – and coolest action star in the universe – Chuck Norris is pleading with evangelicals to vote Barack Obama out of office), and Mitt’s rivaling George Bush’s astounding share of the evangelical vote in 2008. Pro-Obama evangelicals are coming back home to the Republican Party after Obama’s almost four-year assault on religious liberty and his zealous support for abortion. In short, evangelicals – as theologically and culturally divided as we are – will be there for Mitt on election day.

Curiously, however, we’ve heard disturbing reports that LDS Mitt supporters are hanging back just a bit. Some are afraid of stereotyping (“just because I’m Mormon doesn’t mean I’m going to automatically support Mitt. After all, I can’t stand Harry Reid!”), but many more seem just a bit confused about the role of the church in politics. If the LDS church is politically neutral, how can you use your church relationships to mobilize voters and donors?

But let’s back up a moment. Is the LDS church really “neutral?” Is my Presbyterian Church really “neutral?” Yes, I’ve read the portions of the LDS Handbook that emphasize that the church is politically neutral and doesn’t endorse candidates. But the fact that the church is nonpartisan doesn’t mean that it’s neutral on the key moral issues of the day or that the church’s members must maintain their neutrality. In fact, the LDS Handbook specifically urges member involvement:

“Members are encouraged to support measures that strengthen the moral fabric of society, particularly those designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.”

Let’s be perfectly clear, after the God-booing abortion celebration masquerading as the Democratic National Convention, the moral choices in this election are beyond stark. Let’s just examine the issue of abortion. In Deuteronomy 30:19, God lays out His will for His people:

“I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live . . .”

And now here’s the Democratic party platform:

The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman’s right to make decisions regarding her pregnancy, including a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay. We oppose any and all efforts to weaken or undermine that right.

By contrast, here’s the Republican party platform:

Faithful to the “self-evident” truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children.

Is there anything that threatens the “moral fabric of society” or the “family as the fundamental unit of society” as much as granting mothers the “right” to order doctors to kill their innocent children in the womb?

In addition, the Obama administration’s assault on religious liberty through the HHS contraception and abortifacient mandates represents a clear and present danger to the autonomy of the church. The administration is telling Americans of every faith that if they leave the walls of their church and attempt to reach out to their communities – either as business owners or through ministries – that they can only do so on the state’s terms while advancing the state’s values. This is antithetical to the First Amendment and antithetical to fundamental American traditions.

In other words, while your church and my church will not endorse any candidate for president, that does not mean that individual congregants cannot or should not use our web of church friendships and relationships to invest fully in the outcome of this election.

In the six years that Nancy and I have run Evangelicals for Mitt, we’ve made a huge number of Mormon friends and learned a great deal from the LDS church. In fact, we’ve taken flack for urging evangelicals to emulate Mormons in your approach to missions, service, and church growth. We have long stood on the barricades against anti-Mormon bigots. But now we’re asking you to take a page from the evangelical book: Engage fully, proudly, and without hesitation.

Call your friends from your ward. Make sure they’re registered to vote. Ask them if they’ve given to Mitt’s campaign. If they need more education on the issues, equip them with materials. Don’t use church resources; use your own. Between worship and Sunday School, I can’t tell you how many conversations Nancy and I have had about Mitt, about abortion, about religious liberty, and – yes – about the economy. Politics isn’t a “dirty business;” it’s part of our life and obligations as citizens of a nation and government “of the people, by the people, for the people.”

Now is not the time for concerns about stereotyping, for false worries about “neutrality.” The church will remain nonpartisan, but you don’t have to. There are more than six million Mormons in America, and the causes of life and religious liberty need every one.

It’s time to go “all-in” for Mitt.

David French is a Senior Counsel at the American Center for Law and Justice. A graduate of Harvard Law School and David Lipscomb University, he has taught at Cornell Law School and legal practice is concentrated in constitutional law and the international law of armed conflict. He is licensed to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States. David is a regular contributor to National Review Online and a columnist for Patheos. David is the 2012 recipient of the American Conservative Union’s highest honor, the Ronald Reagan Award.

David is also a Captain in the United States Army Reserve, joining the USAR in April, 2006. He currently serves as Brigade Judge Advocate, 1st Brigade, 104th Division, in Aurora, Colorado. A veteran of the Iraq War, David served as part of the Surge from October 2007 to September 2008 with the 2d Squadron, 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment (Sabre Squadron) in Diyala Province, Iraq.

Nancy French is a two time New York Times best-selling author. She co-authored Why Evangelicals Should Support Romney (and Feel Good About It!) and Home and Away: A Story of Family in a Time of War with her husband David. She also co-authored Bristol Palin’s Not Afraid of Life: My Story So Far, Olympic gold medalist Shawn Johnson’s A Winning Balance: What I’ve Learned So Far about Love, Faith, and Living Your Dreams, and other books like Red State of Mind: How a Catfish Queen Reject Became a Liberty Belle.

She is the editor of the Faith and Family Channel on Patheos.

Together, David and Nancy co-founded (with friends) EvangelicalsforMitt.org in 2005. They live with their three children in Columbia Tennessee — home of a weeklong festival celebrating mules –and attend Zion Presbyterian Church (PCA).

American Values: “In God We Trust” — “Liberty” — “E Pluribus Unum”

Twitter Follow: @VicLundquist – Dedicated to all members of The United States military and their families

About Victor Lundquist:

Victor is a businessman working in the healthcare industry. He and his wife of 33 years have five children and four grandchildren. Vic has been blogging for Mitt Romney since 2007.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to David and Nancy French: A Call to Greater Action

1. AfricansforRomney says:

Thank You for your efforts. God is under attack. I’m still in denial what i saw @ commie convention. It’s heart breaking listening pro kill unborn babies kill. Unless, you’re a very cruel individual you don’t advocate to kill the unborns in the national stage the way these Godless bunch did.
    wow, what’s left under this admin? Com’n God is in Nov ballot. Protect your religion.

Vote God! Vote Life! Vote Right!

2. AfricansforRomney says:

Alonzo, at least you knew Gov Romney is an excellent, profitable salesmen. What Prez Obama the community agitator does? Destroying what other hard working people built.

Love this parts of Cardinal Donal’s speech @ RNC & DNC.
    “May we know the truth of your creation, respecting the laws of nature and nature’s God, and not seek to replace it with idols of our own making.”

“Thus do we praise you for the gift of life. Grant us the courage to defend it, life, without which no other rights are secure. We ask your benediction on those waiting to be born, that they may be welcomed and protected.”
    For we are indeed “one nation under God,” and “in God we trust.”

3. Terry says:

David and Nancy…have no fear. We Mormons tend to be a quiet bunch where politics are concerned, but that does not mean we are going to sit back and do nothing. The church strongly encourages it’s members to vote, an admonition most of us take very seriously. I liken us to a sleeping giant: quiet most of the time until aroused (in this case due to Obama’s disastrous leadership), then it’s a “throw the bum out!” mentality and showing up en-mass at the polls to make sure the bum does get thrown out.

Don’t let our quiet demeanor fool or discourage you. We’ve got your back. We’re just not very vocal about it, is all.

4. Kim says:

If the contrast between the two conventions didn’t get you off the couch, nothing will.

5. Pingback: NOW Is No Time To Be Shy! | Article VI Blog | John Schroeder

6. Godwillnotbemocked says:

I know this! Mitt will pray daily as if everything depends on the Lord and work as if everything depends on him. He, by all I have read, has never failed at anything and will, in my opinion, not fail as President. My great sadness is that, in view of Obama’s dismal failure, that this election is even a contest. To me the choice is clear. VOTE MITT!

7. Evan Maughan says:

Harry Reid notwithstanding, LDS tend to be the most conservative block of voters out there – look at Utah (the most Republican state). The LDS church itself though will not get involved – it is rare when they go public with political issues (gay marriage being a rare example). Most members that I know will vote for Mitt – not because he is Mormon, but because he will make an outstanding POTUS. Mitt is the best man for the times, and if our nation chooses Obama, we deserve what we get and I will weep for the Republic and its inevitable fall.

8. Craig says:

I followed a link from the Article 6 blog highlighting this article. As I commented there, my experience, which is purely anecdotal, leads me to believe that those Mormons (I am Mormon) who are and may vote for Obama, lean center left and would most likely vote for the Democrat party candidate, whoever he or she may be.

9. Evan Maughan says:

One other comment – I loved Mitts comment that if each of his supporters managed to sway just one of their friends – he would win. I really hope everyone who loves the Republic fights for it!

And thanks to my Catholic brothers for the following http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9vQt6IXXaM

10. Victor Lundquist says:

In case you missed it, our friends at Article VI Blog posted to David’s and Nancy’s (see pingback just above). Please take a moment and read John Schroeder’s piece from today (John is an evangelical):

11. Victor Lundquist says:

Hugh Hewitt linked to Nancy’s and David’s open letter. He titled it, “What Will Mormons Do?” To see his blog post, click here:

12. Tebo17 says:

I am a mormon & I’m tired of hearing obamas name. Can’t wait til nov to get him out of the office.

GREAT post Vic.!
    Nancy and David are true heros helping to solidify the wonderful Evangelical vote. I just want to assure them, many thousands (millions) of LDS (Mormons) are working tirelessly to assure Mitt’s election. The very vast majority of LDS are for Mitt Romney, because he reflects the values and principles that are most important to them. Yes, there’s more that can be done and I’ll forward this on to leaders in our area. We have to do all we can to get the message out or we will be one nation under government …not under God.

If there is any one cause worth fighting for …THIS is the one of the century!

Mitt Romney will bring the country back before it’s gone forever.

14. Lisa Hill says:

Just a little fun story, I recently bought a new car and traded in my old van. My old van had three MITT bumper stickers on it, one from 2007! The dealer actually gave me an extra $250.00 for my pro Romney bumper stickers!!

PS I am LDS and not afraid to wear my MITT shirts and display my MITT yard sign. I know who I need to be a little more careful about politics with at church. There are a few who still support O. Then it becomes about value., Who values life and liberty, which are core principles for all of us. I hope that I can make a difference. I know one family at church who are Democrats who are really questioning their last vote and I think they will choose MITT this time!!

15. Betty Chrisman says:

Well I am with you all I will be voteing for Mitt to I was for him 2008 and I am with him now.I pray that God will be with Mitt in nov we need him so much. I know he can turn this country around .I think he is a good man We just have to pray for him and I know that god will be in it.we have to get Obama out .

16. corep says:

I tweeted out a couple of weeks ago how there is no way Romney would ever be to the place he is now with David and Nancy and Evangelicals for Mitt. I still wholeheartedly feel that way and will forever.

I totally love and am grateful for what David and Nancy have done for Romney. BUT without the leadership experiences and teachings of the LDS church, Mitt wouldnt be anywhere near the great leader that he is.

i guess i must be the only one that has a problem with the Frenchs calling out LDS folk and asking us to act more like evangelicals who for centuries have spewed forth little but venom and hate for Mormons, well thats a bit over the top maybe on my part as well as theirs.

But the mormons have stood up for Romney longer than any other group, have worked longer than any other group for Romney and will continue to do so.

I understand the message that maybe even someones mind we arent doing enough ( i would think that you could come up with more than hearsay though as proof to premise your points on ) but again i just am not comfortable with this type of “call to action” piece, its in essence says that if Romney isnt elected that somehow it is the Mormons fault not the rest of the other christian or evangelical religions.

In truth, having read Evangelicals for Mitt since its inception i would have expected better from David. Mormons are not the johnny come latelys to Mitt Romney.

17. corep says:

the first line of my comment above should read WITHOUT not with

18. AfricansforRomney says:

corep,
    You comment gave me mix feelings. Sorry, i’m a bit confused. Mormons politics doesn’t come out from one flavor bottle .Why you’re feeling all Moromons are behind Gov Romney? I’m not a moromon nor evangelical, but if you think all moromnos are in for gov Romney i think you’re wrong .Obviously, most LDC church members will support him however, every vote count in this election so, it is an excellent idea motivating, uniting people. In the primary, Gov Romney won Nevada. It’s not b/c of Mormons. The truth is we NEED badly evangelicals and catholics votes especailly, given the past, present, relationships with LDS Church. Btw, i read a while ago in the New Yorker magazine aboout the relationship the Moromon church and Gov Romney election. What surprised me is that most of the people in the leadership role, church members don’t approve of Gov Romney’s type of politics such as negative ads, where he stands on some issues….
    Let’s not get in the competition who supports more, who work harder. Support Gov Romney with One LOve and solidarity!!! We’ve bigger fish to fry in Nov 6 :-)

19. Pingback: Dear Mormon Friends, It’s Time to Go “All-In” for Mitt

20. Victor Lundquist says:

Corep: I think you missed the point. They have many LDS friends as many of us do. There are thousands of LDS members that are working tirelessly in grassroots efforts for GMR…. Many behind the scenes. There are many.

See the point made by John Schroeder (updates above) where he references the intense leadership role and organization of LDS church members in taking Prop 8 initiative… When LDS members are fully energized and organized together, no group of people or entity can stop them. I believe John, Nancy, and Dave are only making an observation based on years of seeing incredible organizing and leadership intensity from LDS members when the cause is critical and just.

I certainly would not infer criticism in th least.

21. Deg says:

I think the idea is to make sure all your friends are registered to vote and will vote for Romney, including your non-member friends… this will require a little bit of preaching.

Make sure there is a comMittment to vote and follow up on it, make sure your friends are also spreading the word, sort of like they did for Prop 8!!! Member’s were giving rides to people to vote and calling everyone on their list to make sure they had voted for Prop 8. The same must be done for Romney.

22. Laura says:

I couldn’t agree with you more! Although, I was an Evangelical before I converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, so maybe being a loud mouth comes more naturally to me. At first I read your message and thought,
    “This is particularly relevant to Mormons outside of Utah”. But really, It is relevant to all of us. We have access to Social Media. We should use it in a way that is not judgmental, but that offers information to friends who may wonder about issues but never ask. I find much more success in reaching people on Facebook when I post articles about Mitt or Conservatives rather than when you just go on a political rant. In particular, I have been commenting beack and forth over the course of the last 6 months with a friend in Florida. As of June, she wasn’t sure who she agreed with or if she should even vote at all. Yesterday, I posted a link to this app :http://www.isidewith.com/presidential-election-quiz?from=99801816. She realized that she agrees with Mitt 96% and said to me, “I guess I know who I’m voting for!” So yeah, even we Utah Mormons can make a difference!! Thanks for all your hard work, Frenches!

23. Shauna says:

Another problem… that should lessen in the future is: Many people in my ward supported Ron Paul. I got on the bad some of them recently… and it makes it uncomfortable to talk to people when you don’t know for sure who they support. I was shocked to find really normal people who were whole hardily behind Ron Paul… and they were truthers as well. I think they will vote for Mitt in the fall, but I dont’ want a repeat of the very uncomfortable situation that happened around the caucus. Discord inside of a ward is very hard. I think there may need to be more time between the convention (they feel robbed) and now before we start talking politics again.

24. Linda Sheffield says:

David and Nancy have hit the nail on the head. Being a Mormon who is politically active, I find it very frustrating that my evangelical and Catholic friends are very well organized through their churches. Even though leadership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints continually admonish the members to get educated and participate in the political process many seem to be afraid to do it. Of course, there are plenty that plan to vote for Romney, but they don’t want to put themselves out there to campaign for him. I find it totally frustrating. I certainly plan to share David and Nancy’s letter with everyone I can make contact with and encourage them to do the same.

I know that by working together we can elect Mitt Romney, the candidate and platform that boldly stand for God and religious freedom.

25. Sandman501 says:

Dont worry…if we can mobilize CA. To vote for prop 8, we certainly can get Mitt in the White House…

26. Victor Lundquist says:

Linda: I believe what you described is exactly what Nancy and David have articulated and what many LDS members around the nation have experienced. Is it universal? Absolutely not! There are many members that are working tirelessly for Governor Romney’s election…Many…I have seen them

But how you described it Linda I believe is most accurate overall and I have to admit that I do not understand why we have this state of affairs.

If I might be so blunt to state this: I could understand if it was Harry Reid running for POTUS. Just a few weeks ago he bore false witness against a fellow member in good standing and would not think twice about doing it again and again.

In my opinion, nobody has ever run for the office of president with the leadership experience and talent and preparation as Mitt Romney. Clinton and Romney may have been better ‘politicians’ but nobody has ever been as qualified and prepared for this office by comparison to GMR.

David and Nancy cited the Handbook in the link above. If you read that entire section of the Handbook, we would be remiss if we do not go out of our way to promote a candidate of high moral character and wisdom.

I’ve loved reading all your comments. I just wish all Christian sects…Mormon, Evangelical, Catholic, Protestant …etc. would join forces and find what unites us all, and not what divides us. Think of the enormous difference we could make in this world. The love and message of Jesus Christ would flourish if we would all be more Christlike and not persecute each other. We ALL need to stand together to get Mitt Romney elected for the sake of this country, and continue loving each other to be a driving force for good in the world.
    The world is becoming more evil. We can stand as a united front if we all work together. United we stand, divided we fall. Let’s make this world a better place by first loving thy neighbor as thyself.
    As a Christian Mormon, I have never, nor have I ever heard a bad word about another’s religion or lack of religion from members of my church. We are taught to love everyone as Jesus loved you, and we try to live it.
    If we are to get Mitt elected, we must quit finding fault and quit persecuting each other. Especially Christian religions where we are taught to love and be tolerant of each other. If you’re a Christian, act like one!

Sorry for the rant, but if we all work in unity, we can move mountains and move Mitt into leading our country back to what our founding fathers and God intended it to be.

28. AfricansforRomney says:

Thomas,
    You’re living in a bubble. I never seen such a segregated Dems party convention in my entire life (you & I will agree on this). Obama gained average 1.3 point bounce back after the convention. Com’n, for a sitting “Messiah” president? the bottom line is he’s still “shtruggling” selling his pro govt BS craps and he’s still below 50!! Yeah, they told us many lies about FLOUTS at commies woodstock convention, too. FLOUTS is “beautiful”,kekekeke, her chinese tradtion dress is “beautiufl” hehehehe. The empty chair is handsome, though. It is an insult for many, many beautiful black ladies out there. When we gonna hear from Obama, from his media outlets the TRUTH? It is ALL lie!

One LOve for Gov Romney!!!

29. Jettboy says:

I’m sorry, but this is not going to motivate Mormons to contribute more to helping Romney win the election. If there is one thing Mormons hate more than anything, its getting told by outsiders what to do (or what they believe *wink*). Everyone thinks that Mormons treat politics like any other religious group and so are always wondering why Romney doesn’t wear his Mormonism on his sleeve. They then, usually liberal reporters, start wondering if he is ashamed or afraid to bring it up. They just don’t get that Mormons don’t do politics like everyone else.

The convention should have showcased why Mormons don’t bring their religion into the political mix. Notice the three times that Mormonism came up during the Republican convention. There was the testimonial’s of Romney congregants. There was the prayer by a Mormon. Finally, there was Romney mentioning it in his acceptance speech. What did they have in common? All three of them were devoid of direct politics. Mormons may believe strongly in mixing morality with politics, but they don’t believe in mixing religion with politics. They have a collective memory what happens when both sides of an issue do that; and Mormons are often the ones that lose.

How, then, to motivate Mormons to support Romney? Flattery. Embracing them as equals. Telling them that you have THEIR backs, and not that you need them to do something for you. Mormons are fiercely independent.

30. Jettboy says:

. . . continued by mistake.

They have had to be, because as a minority they haven’t had many friends. So the approach that will work is not “get to work,” that they do in quiet ways anyway. No, its “what can we do to help you get that work done?”

Thomas….Paul Ryan voted against the 1934 GSA in 1999 along with a very strong bi-partisan vote . Only 8 Senators voted for it.

The financial crisis at the end of 2008 was the combined effort of liberal forces pressuring banks starting with the Clinton administration to Franklin Raines, Chris Dodd and Barnie Frank in the Bush admininstration.

The 1934 GSA has NO connection with the housing market crisis which came to fruition in 2008 in spite of the Bush administrations and allied Republican efforts to crack down on GSEs buying up of mortages. You are over simplifying facts.

32. Victor Lundquist says:

Jettboy, I have known David and Nancy French for years and have followed their writings over those years.

Mine is just a simple opinion, but I have never seen them ever tell others what to do and they certainly would never write something for this political forum with intent to tell them how to believe. In both of these that you mention above, I do not think they have done that at all in what the wrote for MRC. So far, it appears that many LDS members agree in principle and in general with their overall message.

You mention motivation. If any one of us is not doing our part to help a good, moral, wise person get elected to high office and we need motivation, what is preventing us from taking charge and looking for a grassroots project to lead?

David and Nancy quoted one small part of the LDS Handbook above. The very first paragraph of that same section also states this:

“As citizens, Church members are encouraged to participate in political and governmental affairs, including involvement in the political party of their choice. Members are also urged to be actively engaged in worthy causes to improve their communities and make them wholesome places in which to live and rear families.”

Look at the words here that were chosen for the first paragraph. Words such as “encouraged,” “participate,” “involvement,” “improve,” “make,” “actively engaged.” These are all very powerful action words written by the leaders of the LDS church.

If Mitt Romney is the superior candidate for president and if he is a moral and wise man with good policies with which we agree and we are not “actively engaged” as admonished by the church leaders, why not? What does it take? What will motivate us to action?

I hope you will take a few minutes and read Glen Goodsell’s comments in Facebook above along with the many other excellent comments there as well. All of your comments are an excellent addition to this critical debate.

In less than two months, it will all be over. If we want Mitt Romney as our president and he is defeated November 6th by Barack Obama to begin a second four year term, will we look back with regret? Will we be standing there with our friends on Sunday, Nov. 11th in the hallway at church going, “Wow! I have to say, I did not see that coming! I can’t believe our nation is going to be subjected to the rudderless leadership of Obama again for four more years! In hindsight, I could have done so much more. I wish I had stepped up back when it could have made a difference.”

I sure know I don’t want to look back with regret.

33. corep says:

Vic,
    i do understand the difference of what they are saying. I think what everyone is hoping for is an effort much like the Prop 8 effort in Cali, but that effort was directed by the leadership of the church which i dont expect to happen here with the presidential election. For multiple reasons it would be bad for the LDS church prophet to work the GOTV for Romney.

With that said though there is much that members of the LDS church can do on their own to the convincing and involving and leveraging of the unique ability of LDS people to bring to bear positive efforts for Romney. In that vein David is very much spot on.

I discussed this very article today with folks at church and many agreed there is more they can and should do, so I directed them to get in contact with our county office for Romney for President down in CastleRock, Co. My next step is to followup with them to make sure it was done.

This is the difference that individual people can and should do no matter what their religious or non religious beliefs may be so as to further the cause of our desire to get Romney/Ryan elected. If this is really going to be a turnout election then everyone of us should be doing GOTV efforts.

In hindsight I wish that David had written an appeal that was more geared to the overall need for every Romney supporter to go “all in for Romney” and not merely a segment of Romney’s support.

Go Romney/Ryan 2012!!!! We can and we will make it Happen!!!

34. Dale says:

David and Nancy’s call to action does not fall on deaf ears. As an active LDS church member it is often humorous to hear Sunday School lessons discussing scripture with evident political overtones. We know we are not supposed to talk about it in church, but the implications are so obvious. Sometimes one member or another will say the thing that we are all thinking, “…and this is another example of why it is so important that we get wise and righteous men to be our leaders, so in November vote for Mitt,” we all chuckle, but I inwardly hope that there are no investigators in the audience. I don’t want people to think that just because I am LDS I will automatically vote for Mitt – I want them to think that because I believe in freedom, traditional values and small government I will vote for Mitt.

I am happy to sacrifice my time and resources to a cause that I believe in. Mitt was right when he said, Culture Does Matter. If you watched or listened to the two conventions, it was so obviously on display, our nation is at a crossroads so we can choose to be apathetic, stand on the sidelines and watch the downward spiral. Or become an active participant and hopefully make a difference in the direction that we are going. I believe that a vote for Mitt is a step in the right direction.

Being LDS in CA and going through the Prop 8 experience was interesting. I agree with the church and think we did the right thing, that standing up for moral principles is one of the few reasons to set aside political neutrality. But it was difficult. When asked by my church leaders I got out and walked neighborhoods, knocked on doors and talked with people about the importance of reaffirming Traditional Marriage. I donated to the campaign, helped out at a call center, and I closely monitored the election results. Needless to say that I was elated when Prop 8 won, but the backlash took my breath away. Members of my church lost their jobs, buildings were vandalized, and in the media we were mocked and actively discriminated against.

I suspect that this coming election will be no different. We have already seen examples of mainstream media demagoguery and intolerance (so ironic since they are often the ones preaching tolerance). I believe that it will only increase. We will again be mocked and belittled for our beliefs, but in order to preserve our rights, our freedom and our shared values it is a sacrifice I will make.

I believe that most other members of the church are like me. We have spent a lifetime of trying to fit into our communities while standing out when it was necessary. Joseph Smith was once asked how he was able to govern so many with such order (he was mayor of Nauvoo at the time), and he responded, “I teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves.” As members of the LDS church we are still individuals with our own biases, but I am certain that because we have been taught correct principles and hold our common values, Mitt will receive an inordinate amount of the LDS vote.

35. Tomasito S. Zapanta says:

Hello!
    I’m a LDS member here in the Philippines and are always in tune with the US election. I cannot fully express in words how much I care for Mitt Romney to win the election, but it sufficient for me to say that my fellow LDS member can understand what I am saying because I understand most of their comments. Me and my wife are also sharing in FB about Mitt Romney.

36. donna osterkamp says:

I am a Mormon and live in a small country setting . Our stake President’s wife taught the women’s Relief Society lesson two weeks ago . She began by making it clear that this was going to be about how to protect our constitution and our Freedoms . She also declared that there would be no mention of political parties . She proceeded reviewing the three branches of our government , our republic .

She also referenced an article written by a leader in our church . At some point the ladies began asking questions and we ran out of time. She answered by suggesting that that perhaps we could form a study group that would be held during the week. I think that each of us could start a study in our homes with like minded people, we could really get a lot done. We could then branch out into larger group meetings who want to organize. Some of us who speak Spanish could help in California to educate the new citizens who have not had a chance to learn a lot about voting records and how judges are appointed and the importance of the Supreme Court judges and many other very urgent matters that they might not be aware of. When I was working with Prop 8, standing on the busy street corners and going door to door in support of marriage, many humble Spanish speaking amigos would come up to me and thank me. I know that they are generally very conservative with strong family values who would never vote for someone who favors same sex marriage and who voted when he was a senator voted in favor of partial birth abortion, who drafted a DEMOCRAT platform that left out God and turned their back on our strong Jewish allies.

There is a great opportunity for us in the next 45 days to contact our Spanish Speaking friends and either prepare some DVD’s in Spanish with a message and also newsletters. Romney needs their support and if we got busy, we could educate them. They have come to the US, hoping for a better life, some escaping from a courupt government …….. and little do they know that if Obama gets gets four more years, they will be sorry they ever came here. It would be wonderful if the Mormons and the Evangelicals could form a group and decide what is needed in each town, assignments made and meet monthly to report and keep at it until we are successful. I am reminded of when a friend of ours, Ron Packard from Carlsbad California, was running for office as a ” write in.” We had captains who broke us into small groups with small assignments; …. who to contact and where to deliver signs to and who to collect money from and little by little we were able to get the word out and he was elected into Congress as a write in …no easy task and he was a Mormon. There are groups who would love to have our help double checking the status of the registered voters .

The Mormons and the Catholics, and the Evangelicals all pulled together during the Prop 8 election and we made a great team. I am hoping this plea from Nancy and David will get the ball rolling. There is so much to do.

We appreciate you both for helping build the bridge to get Mitt this far . We appreciate your courage and dedication.

May God continue to bless you in your efforts,

Joe and Donna

37. Kristy A says:

I am LDS (Mormon) and hope and pray that Mitt wins in November. I was sad to recently hear of a bumper sticker on a car at my children’s high school. It reads “Mitt Romney may believe in America, but he doesn’t believe in God” (an Obama supporter obviously). This saddens me! My high school boys go EVERY morning before school to an early-morning scripture study class at the church (called seminary…all LDS high school students participate in this program regardless of where they live). This year they are intensely studying the New Testament before they go to school each day. We love, honor, and serve God in every way we can. I hope that others who are now blinded, will soon see (after Mitt gets elected) what a good, God-fearing man Mitt Romney is. Mormons are Christian in every sense of the word. We believe in following Christ and that it’s only through Him that we can be saved. Besides all the religious stuff though, Mitt is a man of character and fiscal responsibility, and we so desperately need him to lead our country at this critical time. I have faith that he will win in November. There are many, many good people of all faiths who are praying hard and doing all they can to support him. Let’s continue onward and help defeat Obama. May God bless our efforts!

38. fimy says:

Mormons don’t vote as a bloc (this may come as news to Mormons and non-Mormons alike). I’m Mormon and happen to be voting for Jill Stein.

39. Scott W says:

How come I can’t find an Evangelicals for Obama website? Right You guys have hit the nail on its head.

40. Pingback: GET US OUT OF THE UNITED NATIONS | Daron D. Fraley

41. Betty Chrisman says:

I am not a Mormon , And I know Mitt Romney believes ‘s inGod and I will be voting for him I know he is what we need for this country . Him and his wife are good people.