Lady in Red Raises the Roof! Ann Romney’s Electrifying GOP Convention Speech

The magnificent lady in red, Ann Romney, waves to a roaring crowd prior to delivering her speech at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida. August 28, 2012 (Photo – Harry E. Waker)

Wow! Offff the charts!

Amid deafening applause, the lady in red, Ann Romney, walked on stage last night at the Republican National Convention and RAISED THE ROOF! Her electrifying, heartfelt speech elicited immediate glowing reviews. Here’s just a sample:

NBC’s Brian Williams: “A Sweeping Job…” WILLIAMS: “Emphasis on well-delivered. That was a sweeping job at that speech.” (NBC, 8/28/12)man

CBS’s Bob Schieffer: “Wow. … That Was One Heck Of A Speech.” SCHIEFFER: “Wow. Just what you said, that was a speech. … That was a fine speech. She took her own life, she took personal anecdotes and welded it into a presentation that made the point she wanted to make. … That was one heck of a speech.” (CBS, 8/28/12)

ABC’s George Stephanopoulos: “A Love Letter To America’s Moms.” STEPHANOPOULOS: “She said her theme was love. It was a love letter to Mitt Romney, to be sure. But also a love letter to America’s moms. And that is how she started, Matt Dowd, basically telling all those moms out there, I feel your pain.” (ABC, 8/28/12)

NBC’s Tom Brokaw: “Mrs. Romney Made A Very Strong Case, Not Just For Her Husband But Also For Why He Ought To Be President.” (NBC, 8/28/12)

CNN’s David Gergen: “In 2004, Barack Obama Was Born As A National Star At The Democratic Convention. Tonight It Was Ann Romney’s Turn.” (Twitter.com, 8/28/12)

Fox News’ Brit Hume: “I Think That Was The Single Most Effective Political Speech I’ve Ever Heard Given By A Political Wife.” (Fox News, 8/28/12)

The Atlantic’s Garance Franke-Ruta: “I’m Not Sure I’ve Seen Better From A Potential First Lady.” “Ann Romney is giving a great speech. I’m not sure I’ve seen better from a potential first lady.” (Twitter.com, 8/28/12)

Tampa Bay Times’ Alex Leary: “Projected Confidence And Warmth…” “The 63-year-old Mrs. Romney — with her five sons watching from a box in the Tampa Bay Times Forum — projected confidence and warmth, attributes that have made her a valuable presence on the campaign trail.” (Tampa Bay Times, 8/28/12)

USA Today’s David Jackson: “A Thunderous Ovation…” “Ann Romney appears on stage to a thunderous ovation, as the video board behind her flashes old family pictures.” (USA Today, 8/28/12)

Real Clear Politics’ Scott Conroy: “Ann Romney Making This Look Easy.” (Twitter.com, 8/28/12)

ABC News’ Shushannah Walshe: “Impressive.” “I’m surprised about how perfectly relaxed Ann Romney seems in front of such a massive crowd. Impressive.” (Twitter.com, 8/28/12)

Miami Herald’s Mary Ellen Klas: “Ann Romney Is Killing It – With Crowd, Applause, Charm.” (Twitter.com, 8/28/12)

NBC News’ Michael O’Brien: “Ann Romney Making A Strong Pitch To Women Voters.” (Twitter.com, 8/28/12)

The Wall Street Journal’s Sara Murray: “The Floor Goes Wild.” “Mitt Romney takes the stage, and the two kiss. The floor goes wild.” (The Wall Street Journal, 8/28/12)

BuzzFeed’s Zeke Miller: “And Ann Romney Finishes To A Massive Standing Ovation” (Twitter.com, 8/28/12)

The Washington Post’s Philip Rucker: “But The Moment Ann Romney Stepped On Stage In A Radiant Red Dress, The Tampa Bay Times Forum Fell Silent.” (The Washington Post, 8/28/12)

I was thrilled to watch Ann Romney be her usual dynamic, down-to-earth self as she spoke to 2,286 delegates, 2,125 alternate delegates from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and five U.S. territories, thousands in the convention center, and a viewing audience estimated at 20 million. It was as if she was having a conversation with America (Luce Fortuno, Puerto Rico’s First Lady, introduced Ann.):

To hear how loud the applause really was as Ann appeared on stage click here (didn’t post this video due to distracting logo stamp).

Five highlights from Ann’s knock-em-alive speech:

1 – Romney’s work ethic:

“But let me say this to every American who is thinking about who should be our next President: No one will work harder. No one will care more. No one will move heaven and earth like Mitt Romney to make this country a better place to live!

2 – Romney’s success:

“And let’s be honest. If the last four years had been more successful, do we really think there would be this attack on Mitt Romney’s success?

But as his partner on this amazing journey, I can tell you Mitt Romney was not handed success.

He built it.

He stayed in Massachusetts after graduate school and got a job. I saw the long hours that started with that first job. I was there when he and a small group of friends talked about starting a new company. I was there when they struggled and wondered if the whole idea just wasn’t going to work. Mitt’s reaction was to work harder and press on.

Today that company has become another great American success story.”

3 – Romney’s generosity:

Mitt doesn’t like to talk about how he has helped others because he sees it as a privilege, not a political talking point. And we’re no different than the millions of Americans who quietly help their neighbors, their churches and their communities. They don’t do it so that others will think more of them.
They do it because there IS no greater joy.”

4 – Why Mitt Romney is the right choice:

This is the man America needs.

This is the man who will wake up every day with the determination to solve the problems that others say can’t be solved, to fix what others say is beyond repair. This is the man who will work harder than anyone so that we can work a little less hard.

I can’t tell you what will happen over the next four years. But I can only stand here tonight, as a wife, a mother, a grandmother, an American, and make you this solemn commitment:

This man will not fail.
This man will not let us down.
This man will lift up America!

5 – On women:

“I’m not sure if men really understand this, but I don’t think there’s a woman in America who really expects her life to be easy. In our own ways, we all know better!

And that’s fine. We don’t want easy. But these last few years have been harder than they needed to be. It’s all the little things — that price at the pump you just can’t believe, the grocery bills that just get bigger; all those things that used to be free, like school sports, are now one more bill to pay. It’s all the little things that pile up to become big things. And the big things — the good jobs, the chance at college, that home you want to buy, just get harder. Everything has become harder.”

Full transcript may be found here.

As Colorado alternate delegate Todd King exclaimed, “People in the audience were staring at the screen, looked like they were hanging on every single word she said. I’ve not seen that with any other speaker.”

Outstanding, Ann! Just outstanding.

UPDATE Aug 20, 2012 - I thought you’d like to see some of what our neighbors to the north think of Mrs. Romney’s speech. Here is Alex Pierson and Brigitte Pelleren from SUN News in Canada (Ms. Pelleren was reporting from Ottawa):

Pelleren: Finally! We have a woman’s issue-oriented speech in which we’re not just talking about, you know, our reproductive organs. I mean, we also have brains. We also have hearts. We also have – think about the budget, we look about expenses, we try to make things work for, you know, the home, the children, and the grandchildren. I mean this is a common eperience for women.

Really, this relates to the experience day-to-day of a lot of women in America and I thought this was a very, very good speech.

Supporters hold up signs as Ann Romney, wife of U.S. Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, addresses the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., on Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012.
(Photo – Charlie Neibergall/AP)

Follow Jayde Wyatt on Twitter @YayforSummer

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Lady in Red Raises the Roof! Ann Romney’s Electrifying GOP Convention Speech

1. Paulee says:

Oh, Jayde….You just nailed this article…What a super job…We have our Dream coming true…many years of dedication to the Romney’s…but It is no wonder…They are very dedicated to sharing their gifts….What beautiful role models…for our country…The Good Lord willing…I am so proud right now……You captured this beautifully…my friend…Thank you…

2. Jayde Wyatt says:

Thank you, Paulee. This article was a joy to put together because so many are praising Ann Romney for her speech! (Except that whining hack Juan Williams; what rock did he crawl out from under?)

As you beautifully said, both Mitt and Ann have so much to give to America and are exemplary role models. They really are a Dream Team!

Day one of the convention was a WINNER.

3. Victor Lundquist says:

What a great speech! I saw something in her eyes during that speech that told me she is the protector of that family! Whatever you do, you would not cross Ann Romney! He hit a grand slam!

I heard Brit Hume say that her speech was the finest speech he has ever heard of any presidential candidate’s wife.

It was great to see Ann so animated!

4. Frozone says:

Hey, where’s Thomas Kim?

5. Frozone says:

Make sure all your friends see this great speech. The media is not covering it as they should.

6. Victor Lundquist says:

Frozone:

To your point about coverage, MSNBC also cut coverage of conference participants who are minorities. Check this out:

What a great speech by Ann Romney. Perhaps her finest moment in the campaign. It’s so inspiring to see a women of high values, courage, conviction and most of all humility. We need this family in the white house to heal and lead this country back to greatness.
    Good men and women do step forward when there’s a great need. This is the Romney’s time. This is their calling. This is their destiny. This is their mission.

8. ccr says:

Thank you, Jayde, for putting all of these statements together for us!! Fantastic! As i’m reading as work……..tears are coming to my eyes. She is fantastic and such a contrast.

I’ll have to check out the msnbc……….what dirty work they do!! Dishonest. Be sure to tweet and share the lack of journalistic integrity.

9. Paul says:

Thanks, Jayde. Reading this gave me goosebumps all over again. What a fantastic speech by a fantastic lady. One thing I’d add: when she said “I want you to pay attention to this, this is important,” that was not in the prepared remarks. I saw the prepared remarks rolling up a screen inside the arena. That was impromptu, and I suddenly saw the mother of five boys saying “SIT UP, PAY ATTENTION.” It was great “mom” moment.

Thanks Jayde for the quotes… My favorite is ..

“Mitt doesn’t like to talk about how he helped others because he sees it as a privilege.”

When Ann Romney spoke of Mitt’s capabilities, you know that she meant it. It was not only what she said but how she said it. The audience felt the strong belief Ann Romney has in her husband and I believe this is what put them on their feet.

Vic…..Thanks for the link. I read the article. I am very disappointed that MSNBC cut out Artur Davis and will probably cut out Mia Love. Apparently they have no problem with keeping their viewers from seeing the Republican Party as they really are. This is misleading and dishonest reporting. MSNBC would be outraged if Fox used the same tactics. They have to be scared of a Romney victory to resort to such desperate politics.

Kimberly Thatcher

I understand what you are saying….but my belief is this…

A person’s income has nothing to do with their capacity for compassion and understanding for other people.

12. Victor Lundquist says:

To the points about the MSM, it is true. They are not going to cut Governor Romney and Ann any slack at all.

I happen to think there will by a lot of hanky panky with voter fraud in lots of places.

There is only so much anyone can do to combat the enormous benefit of the MSM and voter fraud.

We are just going to have to earn the win “the old fashioned way” as they say. It is going to take a lot of hard work at the grassroots level and we should never take anything for granted, no matter what good polls come out.

13. phyllis says:

Simply perfection.

14. Tracey says:

Great Speech. Love the post Jayde.

15. Jennifer says:

I loved the speech. It made me cry. She was SO sincere, and their marriage is a true example to all. Mitt will NOT fail America!

16. geeta Whitley says:

What a class act!!!!! She is defiently the kin of First Lady we need in the white house. I was so inpressed she had no agenda other than telling us how she felt about her man, and to get to know him a little ourselves. It’s people like you give me the will to go on inthis country

17. AfricansforRomney says:

Ann is awesome! I love her confidence “This man will not fail”. We owe her. Ann is the MOST effective member in Gov Romney’s campign. Honestly, she should be in the campaign payroll. Just traveling by itself is a pain.

Was i missing something? Most of the speech was selling their own bio story except Ann, Mia Love, Arthur Davis and one business owner guy.
    URGENT—-com’n i want to hear this admin dirt, Obama’s dirt. We need Palin like speaker to make a headline by tommorow :-)

One LOve for Gov Romney!!!

18. Stefany Clark says:

Has any news agency online or otherwise mentioned that her speech is actually historic? Has there ever been an LDS (Mormon) woman to address either party at it’s national convention, let alone be the wife of the nominee?

19. Ruth Crites says:

I am really distressed by Anne’s comments about her difficult life. I won’t say her life has been easy, breast cancer and MS are difficult to fight as a mother with 5 boys. I only had one son, who was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma (rare bone cancer) at 14. I would have willingly taken on any illness to spare him his 21 year battle to survive the 8 recurrences of the disease + numerous infections + nocardium (a deadly infection that required round-the-clock IV antibiotics). He finally passed away at 37, after earning his bachelors, masters, 2 teaching degrees, and president of our hospital district, etc., etc. I can only wonder what he could have done if he had more time. Don’t complain about your life problems, Anne, revel in in your childrens’ life dreams and their time to complete their dreams.

20. AfricansforRomney says:

Kimberly,
    We don’t measure individual values based on what school they attended, their wealth in this country. This is exceptional country. Some of us know who came from far, far away. When success, wealth being a disqualifer for public office or Prez?? It is sad to hear Obama and the lefties are poisioning the American idea, dream that make her exceptioanl. Please, don’t be bitter. Stay POSITIVE.

I vote Gov Romney just b/c i want……
    “Let America be America again.
    Let it be the dream it used to be” (Hughes)

21. Victor Lundquist says:

Ruth:

Those of us that have followed Ann Romney for years know that she has been criticized often for having a life of ease, comfort, wealth, and no need to work outside the home. Most critics state her life has not been normal or average.

The way she described her life in her speech was in part to inform people that don’t know her that in a great many ways, her life has been normal and that she has had most of the same struggles as most women in America have.

None of us inferred from her speech that she was complaining in the least.

22. Donna Gibbons says:

ACTIONS SPEAK MUCH LOUDER THAN WORDS! I saw first hand how Mitt Romney turns things around. . . . My son wrote the music and my daughter sang the lyrics to the theme song that accompanied the presentation that helped SLC win the Olympic bid. (Gratefully my son and daughter were not part of the fraud and corruption that followed!) What we ALL saw was the near miracle of what happened when Mitt took over. He does know how to “fix” things and does not rest until the job is successfully completed! That is what Ann Romney so effectively related to the American people. It is so sad the liberals encourage coveting and jealousy to divide our country instead of cheering success and realizing that each one of us can work hard and achieve success as well. We are in peril of losing our country and need the kind of bold leadership the Romney/Ryan team will provide.

Mitt Romney loves his country with the same passion he loves his wife, with deep concern for her health, happiness and welfare.

A true love story for both.

24. Pingback: In God We Trust | Union County Republican Central Committee