Movie actor Clint Eastwood has endorsed GOP presidential candidate Governor Mitt Romney. August 3, 2012

Mitt Romney has received the official nod… from Clint Eastwood.

The icon of macho movie stars attended a Romney fundraiser tonight in Sun Valley, Idaho, where he told the Associated Press he was endorsing the GOP presidential candidate.

“I think the country needs a boost somewhere.”

Politico’s Ginger Gibson reports:

Romney appeared pleased by the endorsement from Eastwood, whose Chrysler ad during the Super Bowl earlier this year was widely seen as a tacit nod to President Obama, even though he never said anything specifically about the campaign.

From Gibson’s report, a transcription of Eastwood’s ode to his film Mystic River and how it brought him to Romney:

Romney: “There is a guy here from the world of acting, who has pursed his dreams in a very unsuual way, he stood up to the industry and did things his own way.”

The crowd applauded and some pointed to Eastwood.

Romney: “Can I get Clint Eastwood to come up here and say hi to everybody?”

Eastwood walked up and said something inaudible and Romney laughed.

Eastwood: “This is very nice to be here today, tonight, today. Let’s clear the smoke.

“I was doing a picture in early 2000s called Mystic River in his home state. At that time Gov. Romney was running for governor. I said, God this guy is too handsome to be governor but he does look like he could be president. As the years have gone by I’m beginning to think even more so that.”

“He’s going to restore a decent tax system that we need badly so that there is a fairness and people are not pitted against one another of whose paying taxes and who isn’t.”

“Also we don’t want anybody taking away the Olympic medals, tax wise, from the Olympic athletes. The government is talking about getting a couple of nickles.”

It’s now more important than ever that we need Gov. Romney and I’m going to be voting for him as I know most of you will be … we’ve got to just spread the word and get the whole country behind this…”

Note Eastwood’s aversion for Obama’s class warfare…

The Gov then took back the microphone:

He just made my day. What a guy.”

Wow.

UPDATE – Suhweet event photo:

Follow Jayde Wyatt on Twitter @YayforSummer

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Clint Eastwood Endorses Mitt: “More Important Than Ever That We Need Gov. Romney”

1. Tawn Kent says:

Those of us who already support Mitt in his run for the presidency were not a little elated to read the latest news that Clint Eastwood, one of Hollywood’s most famous Hollywood icons has endorsed Mitt. When I think of Eastwood’s most famous line from “Sudden Impact” “Go ahead, make my day” I think of the upcoming debates in October. When I think of someone with a cool head, someone who does not give a knee jerk response to every situation, I remember Clint Eastwood in all of his cinema performances. I also think of Mitt standing unfazed by all the rubbish being thrown towards him and thinking of what Obama is awaiting when Mitt says “Go ahead, make my day”.

2. Jeanette says:

Now for Chuck Norris’ endorsement…

3. Tim Shaw Sr. says:

You never disagree with a man pointing a 44 Cal Smith & Wesson at you, the most powerful hand gun ever made. Especially if your not sure if he just fired 5 or 6 rounds.

Thanks Clint for making my day……Romney 2012!

5. AfricansforRomney says:

Ron Paul may be heartbroken by this endorsment. hehehe Clint Eastwood knows what it takes to balance budget as a former mayor :-)

Obama current tax hikes and his future proposal is very frightning. I’m glad he’s behind Gov Romney. I was very upset the “halftime” commercial that he made @ superbowl for interrpting us for politics :-( GO STEELERS!!! I thought he was making political statement to give Obama another term for auto bailout. Wrong assumption in my part. Who knows, someone from Chicago duped him.

One Love, for Gov Romney!!!

6. MichelleL says:

I am a big Clint Eastwood fan! From the moment my father introduced me to his films when I was a kid, I immediately knew I would like him. Clint is one of the few conservatives in Hollywood and doesnt care what the liberals in Hollywood think about him. Its great that he endoses Romney. He couldnt ask for a cooler endorsement-Hey Obama-do you feel lucky punk?

7. Victor Lundquist says:

Michelle: Quote of the week: “Hey Obama, do you feel lucky punk?”

I LOVE THAT!

I found another Clint Eastwood quote:

“If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.”

8. Annette Gonzalez says:

I’m sure Harry Reid doesn’t feel so lucky today, they
    won’t mess with celebrities!! Thanks to Clint Eastwood for being so courageous and speaking from his heart! All of the good & intelligent people know Mitt has to be our next President for this country’s chance of survival. We need you Mitt & Ann, we love you!! God bless!

9. Susan says:

Back when Bush was in office, Clint was interviewed about his administration. He was politely critical on some issues,, although he was bated to say something harsh about the president, which today is a rare quality, but he said something that has stayed with me and I hope Mitt can stay true to during this nasty campaign. I am paraphrasing, but it went like this. Clint tipped his hat to Bush saying that no matter the polls, and the constant critical remarks by the media, Bush never wavered on issues he believed in.

Stay true Mitt. Say what is in your heart no matter the bashing, because it is easy to debate issues and be convincing when it comes from deep inside.

10. Tim Kempton says:

Eastwood is pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-environmental protection, pro-gun control, anti-censorship, anti-war, and atheistic or agnostic (although he admires Buddhism). He’s not much of a “conservative” and many of his positions are diametrically opposed from today’s GOP.

As for tax increases, they need to be part of any serious attempt to balance the budget, hence the major increases in tax revenue found in the Simpson-Bowles proposal for tax reform and deficit reduction.