Large Group of Black Pastors Announce Opposition to Obama Over Gay Marriage

From CNN:

Washington (CNN) – A group of conservative black pastors are responding to President Barack Obama’s support of same-sex marriage with what they say will be a national campaign aimed at rallying black Americans to rethink their overwhelming support of the President. . .

At the press conference, Rev. William Owens, who is president and founder of the Coalition of African-Americans Pastors and the leader of the campaign, was joined by five other black regional pastors and said there were 3,742 African-American pastors on board for the anti-Obama campaign.

Rev. Owens states, “I am ashamed that the first black president chose this road, a disgraceful road.”

In May, Obama announced on ABC News that he thought “same sex couples should be able to get married.” The president had previously said that he opposed gay marriage, but said in May that his views were personal and did not represent a policy change.

A Pew Research Center poll conducted in April found that 49% of African-Americans oppose legalized same-sex marriage, compared with 39% who support it. But that shows a softening on the position in recent years; In 2008, only 26% of blacks were in favor of same sex marriage, according to the same Pew poll.

At the same time, black voters overwhelmingly supported Obama in 2008, while more recent polling shows a nearly equal level of support for the president’s 2012 reelection.

Many in the media will try to dismiss Obama’s flip-flop on gay marriage as insignificant in the upcoming election, but it has the potential to be very consequential, especially in a tight election.

Twitter

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Large Group of Black Pastors Announce Opposition to Obama Over Gay Marriage

1. Bob says:

And yet, the polls just aren’t budging in the Swing States. Politico, FiveThirtyEight, TPM, Huffington, RealClearPolitics all have Obama winning 330+ electoral votes still. Why can’t Romney break through? I am SO frustrated. And please don’t blame it entirely on the media…they didn’t personally offend the British people, etc.

2. Seth says:

1. Not everyone is really paying attention yet. Give it a month.
    2. Polls always lean to the left. Article after article I’ve read agrees.
    3. The poll that has proven to be more accurate every time is the president’s approval rating – not “who would you vote for”. And Obama’s is below 50%.
    4. Just wait til the debates in October. Obama has nothing to run on.
    Read these: http://www.gallup.com/poll/156194/Democratic-Voting-Enthusiasm-Down-Sharply-2004-2008.aspx

3. Carly Phillips says:

I am happy these men have the courage to stand for what they believe. It is a mistaken notion that all of one race will think one way- this is not true and I am glad these men have proved that. I am for traditional marriage, and traditional familes- if one has some one in their family who is gay/lesbian I believe you should love them as your other children or other members who are not and support their goals in life. It is against the design of the Creator to make some other way though besides traditional marriage, we are not designed that way it does not take much to see that and though I know for some there is this attraction which they battle- for those who can resist and do as meant to be despite those feelings and have a working relationship- traditional I applaud them for doing so- for beating the odds and resisting what is easy. Thats how I feel and thats what I feel is right. I would never be mean, unkind, unfriendly to anyone who was homosexual and I never have been.

4. Bob says:

From your lips…just amazing that Romney isn’t wiping up the floor…worried that it’s because he’s weird and robotic…wish he could (figuratively AND literally) have a beer with people and show himself to be human…

5. Ben Collins says:

Nice try Bob, we are not buying it.

6. Bob says:

it’s not my fault that Pew just came out with a 10-point lead…I’m just saying this feels like 2008 all over again…FRUSTRATING

7. AfricansforRomney says:

I’m glad these concerned citizen pastors are speaking out. The black community already facing huge problems, poverty, racism, high unemployment, low school performance, high crime rate, out of wedlock….. The last thing the balck community need from narcissist Obama is the same sex approval signature. Obama lied to the whole world about his stand on gay marraige in ’08, but once he got elected he sold his sole to suck the gay millionaries money. As a 1st black Prez, there are millions of blacks see him as a role model, but look what is offering to his own race. I never seen a sitting prez setting a bad example for millon kids out there.Obama doesn’t give a damn for anyone as long as stay another 4 years in the WH. In my opinion, he should leave the issue to the state.

Obama is in the wrong side of America! SHAME on Obama!

8. AfricansforRomney says:

Bob,
    Don’t get excited. Gov Romney still winning the male gender gap. Obama is NOT WORKING, Obama campaign is NOT WORKING. Why always the news media involved in the polling, the number is outrageously high for Fake Obama? ummm…bias?!
    “Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said Mr. Obama’s lead is built squarely on female voters. “He has a 59-35 percent lead among women voters, while men go to Romney 50-47 percent. Independent voters also back Mr. Obama 58-36 percent.”