Notwithstanding the media’s protestations to the contrary, Governor Romney has stated his plan for Jobs and Economic Growth (here), and it isn’t by government largesse but by empowerment of society! He released his plan in late 2011, early 2012, and it is very specific. The complaint from the media and many others is that it is too detailed, and too specific. Really? They have said it adds too much complexity to the equation and isn’t understood by the majority – maybe so. Part of our problem in society is that we want pablum rather than meat and potatoes; we want celebrity over competency; we want sound bites rather than detail, depth and specifics. To solve our challenges we need substance, not sound bites; we need a President who will lead with principle and competency, not celebrity and situational standards; we need detail, depth and specifics! The POTUS can and does affect the economy and jobs with LEADERSHIP and sound policies!
So here are the basics of Governor Romney’s plan in summary -
DAY ONE, JOB ONE.
When Mitt Romney says that fostering job creation through economic growth will be his top priority from his first day in office, he means it. While some elements of his plan will take time to set in motion, much can be done from a running start. On Inauguration Day, he will submit a jobs package to Congress consisting of at least five major proposals and will demand that Congress act on the package within 30 days, using every power at his disposal to ensure its passage. He will also take immediate and specific steps within his sole authority as president by issuing a series of executive orders that gets the U.S. government out of the economy’s way. The goal: restore America to the path of robust economic growth necessary to create jobs.
FIVE BILLS FOR DAY ONE
American Competitiveness Act
• Reduces the corporate income tax rate to 25 percent
The Open Markets Act
• Implements the Colombia, Panama, and South Korea Free Trade Agreements
The Domestic Energy Act
• Directs the Department of the Interior to undertake a comprehensive survey of American energy reserves in partnership with exploration companies and initiates leasing in all areas currently approved for exploration
The Retraining Reform Act
• Consolidates the sprawl of federal retraining programs and returns funding and responsibility for these programs to the states
The Down Payment on Fiscal Sanity Act
• Immediately cuts non-security discretionary spending by 5 percent, reducing the annual federal budget by $20 billion
FIVE EXECUTIVE ORDERS FOR DAY ONE
An Order to Pave the Way to End Obamacare
• Directs the Secretary of Health and Human Services and all relevant federal officials to return the maximum possible authority to the states to innovate and design health care solutions that work best for them
An Order to Cut Red Tape
• Directs all agencies to immediately initiate the elimination of Obama-era regulations that unduly burden the economy or job creation, and then caps annual increases in regulatory costs at zero dollars
An Order to Boost Domestic Energy Production
• Directs the Department of the Interior to implement a process for rapid issuance of drilling permits to developers with established safety records seeking to use pre-approved techniques in pre-approved areas
An Order to Sanction China for Unfair Trade Practices
• Directs the Department of the Treasury to list China as a currency manipulator in its biannual report and directs the Department of Commerce to assess countervailing duties on Chinese imports if China does not quickly move to float its currency
An Order to Empower American Businesses and Workers
• Reverses the executive orders issued by President Obama that tilt the playing field in favor of organized labor, including the one encouraging the use of union labor on major government construction projects
After day one, job one, President Romney will address, with focus and capacity, the following key areas each of which will favorably impact our economy: Tax Policy, Regulatory Policy, Trade Policy, Energy Policy, Labor Policy, Human Capital Policy, Fiscal Policy, each of which are further addressed in his plan linked above. He will further address our Military and Foreign Policy by defining policies that are currently absent in the present administration. Bottom line – HE WILL LEAD!
The results of his leadership will be manifest in:
1) Restoring CONFIDENCE and STABILITY where it has been absent;
2) CAPITAL being released and flowing back into our economy from abundant corporate reserves held on and offshore, and bank’s whose abundant capital has been held hostage by oppressive regulation;
3) JOB creation escalating because of 1 and 2 above;
4) Reduction in energy costs as markets see, with confidence, a dynamic and growing future energy market in the US;
5) Renewed respect globally as rogue nations see a Strong America with Strong Leadership; and
6) A Renewal of American Prosperity and Patriotism!
As with Ronald Reagan in 1980, we will see a resurgent and prosperous America under President Romney. America’s best days are ahead if we choose wisely in November. Mitt Romney’s plan for America is a proven plan! Mitt Romney’s, Believe in America, a Plan for Jobs and Economic Growth, and his vision for our future is sound and based upon correct principles. Mitt Romney has the proven experience and capacity to LEAD this exceptional nation, a nation where men are free and liberty is fundamental. We will be again, the hope of the world.
Follow David Parker on Twitter @dparkersrs