Romney Makes Change: Madden Moved to Forefront

Kevin Madden

Make way for Madden!

Good news today from Team Romney…

Plans are underway to bump senior adviser Kevin Madden into a more visible role along the campaign trail – and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve often privately lamented that he hasn’t been more of a presence this time around to help Governor Romney. Many remember Madden as the smart, savvy, unflappable guy who helped The Gov during the 2008 presidential election cycle. He was a tremendous help back then in his official capacity as Romney’s National Press Secretary and Senior Communications Strategist.

CNN:

The senior adviser in Romney’s presidential campaign will be traveling more with the presumptive Republican nominee and working more in the day to day messaging of the campaign, a source close to team Romney confirms to CNN.

Madden was national press secretary for the former Massachusetts governor’s 2008 bid for the White House, working out of the campaign’s Boston headquarters. This cycle Madden, who lives in the nation’s capital, has been working out of Washington, first as an informal adviser, and since April as a senior adviser to the campaign and the Republican National Committee.

Earlier Friday, a Romney campaign official responded to report in the Washington Post regarding staffing shifts within the organization by saying, “We are constantly growing the staff to be more effective in defeating Barack Obama.”

Madden is a Yonkers, New York guy; he currently resides in D.C. Here’s more of his impressive background:

Kevin Madden is Executive Vice President of Public Affairs of JDA Frontline, a public affairs firm with offices in Washington, D.C. and Charleston, S.C.

Prior to joining JDA Frontline, Mr. Madden was a Managing Director with The Glover Park Group, a leading public affairs firm based in Washington D.C.

Most notably, during the 2008 election cycle, Mr. Madden served as National Press Secretary and Senior Communications Strategist for Governor Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign.

Prior to joining Governor Romney’s campaign, Mr. Madden served as Press Secretary to then-House Majority Leader and now-House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). In that capacity, Mr. Madden served as a top communications strategist for the House of Representatives leadership office charged with directing legislative action on a wide range of issues including financial services, energy, national security, legal reform, transportation and telecommunications policy among others.

Before his work as a top leadership aide on Capitol Hill, Mr. Madden served as the Department of Justice’s national spokesman on issues ranging from national security to litigation before the federal courts.

Yes! Mark your calendar; Madden will be a guest tonight on CNN’s tv program Erin Burnett OutFront at 7:00 PM ET. And, don’t forget to follow him on Twitter.

I’ll be smiling all day today.

UPDATE - Did you miss seeing Madden on CNN with Ms. Burnett? Here it is:

Follow Jayde Wyatt on Twitter @YayforSummer

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Romney Makes Change: Madden Moved to Forefront

1. Vic Lundquist says:

AWESOME NEWS!

2. Jon E. S. says:

Fantastic! I was disappointed to see Madden on the sidelines this time around. I thought he was a pretty classy guy back in 2008. Hopefully he takes over for Eric Fehrnstrom…a nice enough guy who keeps sticking his foot in his mouth…ultimately making Romney look bad and creating headaches for the campaign.

3. Uaintdown says:

He has great hair too…

4. AfricansforRomney says:

I don’t know him, but you guys seem excited. Great. It’s all about voting out Prez Obama in Nov with the RIGHT messages.
    Compare to many of Gov Romney campaign staffs, this guy has a typical Republicans look, though. hehehehe

5. AfricansforRomney says:

oh, no. i know this guy. He’s one of my fav guy. He looks very different in this pic.

6. Georgia Tauchas says:

It is about time we see Kevin Madden! I have really missed seeing him this campaign!

I remember Kevin Madden from Romney’s 2008 campaign. I used to think he was one of Romney’s sons. He is impressive with a strong presence. Romney 2012!

8. ccr says:

Mitt gets a lot done on his “vacation” everyone is whining about. ;-) Personnel adjustments, news conference on the continuing dismal/doctored unemployment numbers, TV interview. What a lazy guy! (j/k OF COURSE!! He’d work circles around Imperial BHO!)

9. Jayde Wyatt says:

I’ve updated this article with video of Madden’s appearance on CNN tonight. He downplayed his new role (self-deprecating) and confirmed he will be working with Romney’s traveling press corp to help articulate Romney’s message. Listening to him speak is assuring; he’ll deliver.

I’m over-the-moon that Madden has moved up!

10. Steve Foster says:

Well, I’m not a fair-weather supporter. Fehrnstrom and the rest have done the campaign a wonderful, monumental, and unforgettable service to date, despite a couple pot-shots by deceitful critics that Romney himself has been subjected to. But if this announcement and single-card shuffle placates some in the party and harnesses any more energy, so be it. He seems pretty well qualified.

11. Charlene Riddle says:

I do not like all the complaint we keep hearing from laura ingram rick santorum and other fox anchors we can do better than that

12. Susan says:

I like Madden! He looks like one of Mitt’s sons. I hope he can keep Mitt focused and looking strong. The Fox people are just worried about the new poll numbers. I am too for that matter! But Mitt will rise again!

13. AfricansforRomney says:

Nice conversation @ cnn. There’s a saying in my culture similar to this “changing burners don’t make your food tasty”. True, in the end, it’s upto the cook to make the food tasty. I trust Gov Romney, he would do a much better job spreading his conservative values messages and winning the Obama lefty media big.

I’m sure it is not easy task for Gov Romney’s staff winning so many months battle in the primary season. They deserve great appreciation. It is now a different game with Obama endless lies, blame games. We MUST win the lefty media distortions.

Gov Romney=Authentic Leadership!

14. Hispana says:

I am so so happy for this move from Mitt to get Kevin Madden out front. Mitt needs to continue to focus on placing his best surrogates from now on to election day. Kevin Madden would not allow any confusions, he is a great speaker and is well respected by TV outlets. And what I love best is that he knows how to throw a punch, counterpunch while keeping a great smile. I love the fact that Mitt listens to his people.

15. Susan says:

Well said Hispana! Agree 100%.

16. Hello says:

Why would Romney tap a Palin/Tea Party-Bashing Kevin Madden to be the new Eric Fehrnstrom?

17. Maria Venegas says:

About time! in Spanish Ya era hora!

18. Josephine J. Wang says:

How about hightlighting his service to the community without pay for several years?

19. stella says:

About time…I loved him in 08 and always wondered why he’s not out there in the forefront of all things Romney, especially to defend ALL the lies not only from Obama/Axelrod but main stream media.

20. Les says:

Fine, but what has been done to date is ineffective. As bad as Barry is doing, Mitt isn’t gaining any ground, nothing out there of any substance. You guys had better realize you’re in a bar fight pretty darn quick. All the neg from Barry is corrosive and no strong responses. I hope mccain’s campaign isn’t a model. Scott Walker showed you how to do it.

21. LindaG-Denver says:

I’m really happy and think this is a fantastic move for the Romney campaign and I’ve been hoping Kevin would move directly into the campaign. He did a great job in the last campaign. He has a winning personality, is very down to earth and extremely articulate.