Rick Santorum’s Curious Announcement

Former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum (Photo by Charles Krupa / AP)

Rick Santorum

former U.S. Senator,
and
GOP primary candidate,
posted today
the
on his
facebook page:

Big announcement coming on Friday – be sure and check back!

Readers are invited to ruminate, hazard a guess, and generally chew it over in our comments section…

UPDATE – June 5, 2012: Not content to sit in Santorum’s bag until Friday, the cat is out:

On Tuesday, sources close to Santorum tell ABC News that the former presidential candidate will be announcing the formation of a 501 c(4) organization that he will use to pursue a set of issues he has fought for during much of his political career.

This first wave of issues is likely to focus on an agenda that includes anti-abortion and faith and family causes.

It’s not clear yet where the new 501 c(4) will be operating out of, but last month the pro-Santorum super PAC, the Red, White, and Blue Fund, became a hybrid political action committee that will also work as a traditional leadership PAC to push Santorum’s message, support his political travel, cover administrative costs and donate money to candidates he supports with similar views. This new issues-oriented push from Santorum could easily operate out of this leadership PAC

There you have it.

Hat tip to MRC moderator KarenK for hearing the ‘meow’.

- Jayde

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Rick Santorum’s Curious Announcement

1. Cris Pace says:

He’s going to join his pro-union, big government big spending friends and join the Democratic party? If so, good riddance.

2. Whatever it is I suspect it will not be good. He has hurt the Republicans enough this year already. I used to really like the guy in short Fox sound bytes and was happy when he entered the race but have come to despise him now. We will see plenty of him in the fall when Obama runs his anti Romney quotes…..ad infinite m.

3. Stacy says:

Maybe he’s announcing a new summer line of sweater vests to cover the blubber? An added benefit, guaranteed to help with abstinence goals for all that don one, just like with the winter version… The man’s got a huge debt to repay, don’cha know… Not to mention the damage he has done to the GOP brand with his trampling all over Reagan’s 11th & puritanically hollering his divisive views from every mountaintops from sea to shining sea…

4. Jack says:

He’ll probably announce a PAC. Whoop-de-doo.

5. Noelle says:

He’s converting to the LDS church.

6. Gregory J. Kennedy says:

My only guess is that Romney is going to pick him as his runningmate for vice president.

7. Hispana says:

Santorum making an announcement on Friday? Well, I am confident that Mitt will not select him for VP and pray not a post in his Administration. Sorry, but he will not add anything to Mitt’s ticket that will be an asset to me. His social issues agenda scares the heck out of too many. Stay put and away from the front lines is what I wish for him.

8. Hispana says:

And Mitt will be the one to make VP announcements. Not Santorum.

9. Hispana says:

@Hispana
    asset to Mitt.

10. Flor says:

I would rule out him announcing he’s Mitt’s VP choice: It’s way too early, and the campaign wouldn’t let him post something like that. Maybe he’s running for office in PA?

11. Kim says:

I’m thinking he might head up a coalition to fight Obama’s war on religion. It would be a good position for him to take working with Catholics and other people of faith.

12. RC says:

Santorum is going to run on a third party ticket…………….!

13. Mark says:

I’m thinking he’s bought a sweater-vest company.

14. Tracey says:

I don’t believe that Mitt will pick Santorum for his running mate.

@Gregory J. Kennedy

15. Tracey says:

If Santorum has something to say why doesn’t he just say it. My guess is he will officially endorse Mitt.

16. Lisa says:

Santy is still not over it. He still wants to steal the limelight. I can’t forget all the lies he told about Mitt

17. Walter says:

He is coming out of the closet?

18. AfricansforRomney says:

Is he going to endorse Gov Romney? I don’t remember endorsment from Santy, though. Or, radio/tv talk show host job?Santy forum.hehehehe

19. stan says:

He is probably getting back into the race, right Jayde?

20. Luke says:

K-Mart is going to pick up his line of sweaters for the fall season.

21. Jon E. S. says:

“As summertime is approaching, it breaks my heart to announce that the good old sweater vest, which brought my populist/anyone-but-Mitt soapbox into the national spotlight,will retire until the Fall. That is all.”

22. I think Luke is right. It is a coat tails effect to capitalize on his sweater vests! I mean, those must be incredibly valuable now! Right?

Walter can’t be right. Right?

Maybe Lisa?

I am giving Santorum the benefit of the doubt. Over a month ago, he did state on national TV a few times that he would definitely endorse the Republican candidate for president and that he would work hard for him. He says he is a man of his word and he gave us his word. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

After the way Santorum decided to exit the race, he wouldn’t do anything similar that would effectively seal his fate for ever running again successfully for national office.

23. ccr says:

hmmm…………he’s forgiven Mitt and will help get Mitt elected.

Seriously…….I can’t imagine it’s anything tooooo serious. He’s such a “drama” guy.

24. phyllis says:

Why all of the drama? Oh yeah, we are waiting with baited breath for Friday.

25. LSureda says:

All I can say is the primary process produced absolutely the very best candidate. Santorum is not presidential, he’s mean spirited and petty. He needs to go away and stay gone. We’ll do just fine without his self-serving endorsement. Go away Santorum!

Santorum will endorse Mitt and put country before self.

27. Patricia says:

He’s just trying to get attention and more people to sign up to hear him speak at the Texas GOP convention….

28. jrterrier5 says:

unfortunately, this doesn’t sound good. what is wrong with politicians these days? why can’t they make up their minds whether they want to be celebrities of public servants.

29. Shauna says:

If I cared… I would say he will finally endorse. But it will likely be a non-endorsement endorsement again… then he will call us all sinners and disappear in a puff of smoke… he is all show and no horse.

30. Annette says:

A giant bonfire for the sweater vests! Yeehaw!

31. cj says:

i am not sure i really care! and as for the vests….they don’t look good on out of shape guys….just saying.

32. Gary Alan Chidester says:

When the ‘sun’ rises in the morning, all the little stars (that twinkled in the night sky)… just disappear. In other words, Gov. Mitt Romney has been and continues to be… an extremely dynamic candidate. Next January, at President Romney’s Inauguration, one might ask the question, “Who were the other candidates that ran for the Republican nomination?” And I’d have to say, “Ah… Let me think about it for a second… it’s right on the tip of my tongue… Don’t help me, I know this… Oh, ah… they were… ah…” Get my point?

33. Courtney says:

He and the wife & kids are moving in next door to the Duggar clan and will be making frequent appearances on their reality show. That’s the only way Ricky can get camera time these days.

34. Elaine Ridenour says:

Perhaps he will announce that he’s releasing his delegates to Mitt?

35. ccr says:

I’ll always remember Mitt’s character of working hard for McCain and not getting hung up on his own ego. That is a characteristic, unfortunately, too rarely seen by many running for office. That is one reason I think Mitt is TERRIFIC! And others………well, it seems all too often about themselves, NOT our country!

36. Frank Novak says:

He’s announcing that he is releasing his own line of sweater vests and that they will be available at Macy’s everywhere or online at http://www.ricksantorum.com starting Friday.

37. Kim says:

He is releasing a new line of Rick dolls.

38. ccr says:

39. Susan says:

I am hoping that he is going to officially endorse Mitt for President!

40. Robin from Indiana says:

I think Rick Santorum did harm to the GOP, and I hope he stays the heck away from Mitt. I think the Dems got their idea for their supposed war against women because of some of the things Santorum said. It was nice not having him around, and I hope he is announcing some book and that’s it.

41. Shane Ownbey says:

Whatever he has to say I am sure it will be irrelevant. LOL!

42. joyk says:

He’ll run for President in 2016 and start knitting his own vests in the meantime. Oh, and maybe he’ll support that Romney guy…but his own delegates MUST still vote for him. It would only be fair to them.

43. JT HUNT says:

I think he is going to announce he is running indie, 3rd party.

44. JeanfromNC says:

@Shauna
    I agree with you Shauna! Rick Santorum is all about Rick Santorum!!

45. Maggie says:

You guys are too funny. I thought he would go third party and steal just enough of Mitts votes to mess everything up.

46. Jayde Wyatt says:

Enjoyed the discussion!

The solved mystery has been updated on this article – and I’d be interested in reading your thoughts.

Hat tip to MRC moderator KarenK for getting the scoop.

I find this nauseating news. Is this supposed be coalescing behind Romney?

Rick Santorum’s family centered economics consists of picking winners and losers. Rather than building a stronger country through liberty and prosperity in order to create an environment that will bring about stronger families, Santorum chooses to put the cart before the horse. He believes in building stronger families by picking winners and losers. Doubling child tax credits so as to create larger families which will lead to stronger families. With stronger families we will have a stronger economy. What? Come again. He also wants better tax breaks for manufacturers over other industries. What exactly constitutes a manufacturer anyway? What happened to letting the laws of supply and demand take it’s course. We don’t need government interference.

This is unbelievable. I used to like Santorum when he appeared on Fox to weigh in on issues. I was interested when he announced his candidacy for president. But he has lost me.