Excellent CBS Videos in Search of “The Real Mitt Romney”

Mitt Romney bad hair and blue jeans

Mitt Romney November 2007 - Click image to view full size

Have you heard the story about when Mitt Romney closed his company for a few days so he along with his fellow co-workers and employees could go search for a co-worker’s missing daughter in New York? What about the one where Romney (while Governor) and his boys saved a family of six and their dog from a sinking boat? Those are a couple of the character defining anecdotes that you don’t hear much of in the media that continually tries to portray him as a plastic automatron devoid of emotion and personality. Those who have studied Romney and his life know that such is not the case.

The CBS videos below touch on what is perhaps my favorite of these “personalizing” anecdotes: Mitt digging up a tree stump at a home after the San Diego fires of October 2007. Why is this one my favorite? Perhaps it’s because Mitt performed this act of service without any heraldry while he was in the midst of a presidential campaign. Or perhaps because it’s the only one we have pictures and video of the events as they unfolded, and we have the homeowner to thanks for that. Wouldn’t you take pictures if a potential future president showed up on your lawn to help out?

The reason for the CBS segment about Romney is due to a new chapter about Mitt Romney being added to a book published in 2007 called The Mormon Way of Doing Business. (The videos below are much more about Romney than Mormons.)

Video highlighting Romney digging up the stump:

Video discussion with book author Jeff Benedict (and others) discussing “stories about Mitt Romney”:

Did you get a good look at Mitt vigorously swinging that axe in the first video? I’ve been to more than a few Scout Camps and have seen both men and boys swinging an axe to chop wood. You can tell instantly if they have experience at it, and to me it’s obvious that Mitt has done this more than a few times.

For more info (and pictures) on the tree stump story check out our older posts where we have highlighted it:
MUST SEE: Mitt Romney Doing Bad Hair and Blue Jeans… in 2007!
VIDEO: Mitt Romney on the The Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno
Mitt Romney has Literally Defined the Meaning of “Service” by Example
Mitt Romney’s Best Stump Speech — Examples of Servant Leadership

~Nate Gunderson

Addendum: Another good read–> The Mitt Romney You Don’t Know

Nate owns and manages a small souvenir manufacturing business. He and his wife of 12 years have 2 children. Nate has been blogging for Mitt Romney since late 2006 and is co-founder and editor of MittRomneyCentral.com.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ YouTube

Tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Excellent CBS Videos in Search of “The Real Mitt Romney”

1. @Jesse
    I already added it above. Saw your tweet.

2. David says:

I bet you will never see obama doing this :)

3. Greg Stapley says:

Great article Nate. I’m certain that the commentators are right — Mitt is just not built to “toot his own horn” (part of the reason I admire and respect him) and will need others to tell these stories. Thanks for getting this out there.

4. Colette Wimmer says:

I read an article yesterday calling for Mitt to own his Mormonism. I think the time has come for people to know more about the service Mitt has given to others through his leadership in the LDS Church. Most people do not know that while he was Stake President in the Boston Area, he was charged with overseeing the needs of refugees, performing marriage, family and financial counseling and organizing the managerial and administrative needs of a large group of congregations. Mitt’s life has been in service, quietly and without fanfare. I think the more people get to know all of the facets of Mitt, the more they will love him. Mitt has the ability to inspire people, we are now just beginning to see that light shine.

5. AfricansforRomney says:

I’m glad people started “unzipping” Gov Romney. I hope more people will come out and undo the bad images of Gov Romney that was fabricated by Obama camps and libs media. What’s Charlie Rose and Oprah’s right hand doing in CBS, though?? The whole world is upside down these days. Wow, Gov Romney just got Oprah’s endorsment, then :=))

6. Canda says:

The thing is people aren’t used to someone running for office who doesn’t brag about every good thing they’ve done or thought about doing. Mitt is a humble man, and since people are always trying to get their 15 minutes of fame, (look at all the ‘reality shows’ depicting the daily lives of celebs and such), they think Mitt’s acts are publicity stunts.

7. Vic Lundquist says:

NICE!

David: Perfect statement!

And the old Christian verse: “By their fruits ye shall know them” — Christ providing an unmistakable way to find those who put it into practice.

8. Stan says:

Great article Nate and I have to reiterate what Jeff Benedict said about the way Latter Day children are brought up. That is the number one reason I wanted Mitt for president is because of that culture the LDS church espouses their members. So to bring this out now is excellent.

9. Diane says:

@Jesse

It’s awesome Jesse — thanks for sharing. I have posted it on Facebook!

10. Lynnette says:

I’ve seen the video several times, but I never grow tired of watching it. This is why I love Romney; why I’ll always support him. When people say he’s out of touch, this is what I think of. A wealth elitist born with a silver-spoon, out of touch with average people, does not take time out of his busy schedule to pull a tree stump out of a stranger’s yard, esp. when there’s no media around to record the event. There’s also a video out of Obama having a beer at some club in DC, hanging out with “regular” people, trying to show us that he himself is just a “regular”guy. And of course there are all the comments posted about how “cool” Obama is and what a great President he is. And I’m thinking, “Really? Because he stopped at a bar to guzzle down a beer with all the other schlubs, you think he’s qualified to be Commander in Chief?” What Romney did in this story (along with his many other acts of service, often unnoticed) mean so, so much more. I mean, I hear talk about wanting a President who is just like everyone else. Why on earth would we want that? Leaders are those who rise above the crowd. They’re the men and women in front jogging backward and encouraging us all to run just a little further. Leaders inspire us to look inside ourselves and to reach our true potential. And leaders have faith. In some elections, the choice is more difficult. In this one, there is absolutely no question who has shown true leadership.