Democrats Uniting Behind Romney — Please Comment

The Gipper with Tip

During the 1980 presidential campaign, Ronald Reagan attracted a large number of Democrats that eventually voted for him. They became known as the “Reagan Democrats.” There is no simple description for a Reagan Democrat. However, it is generally accepted that Reagan’s message of a strong national defense, combined with a very positive vision for America, were key to his success. I remember those days well.

President Carter was mired in the Iranian hostage crisis — Having studied this event, I am convinced he was doing everything he could to free the hostages, but his demeanor and outlook reflected the weight of the world — he seemed serious, even downtrodden all the time. The oil crisis forced us all to wait in hour-long gas lines — interest rates were at historic highs.

Ronald Reagan’s message was uplifting and forward looking. He articulated a strong vision for all Americans. Today’s pre-election season reminds me of that time — every day. Our ship of state is in a debt crisis in which the captain is without a compass, sextant, or a clue as to how best to navigate. Unemployed people have given up looking for a job and resigned themselves to the pittance of the handout. Unlike Carter who had some prior executive experience, Mr. Obama not only lacks the prior experience, he is devoid of leadership skills. Worse, he is incompetent which is why he seems so desperate right now. The insecurity is easily perceived in his countenance.

A person in a leadership position that is the product of the Peter Principle stops attempting to be proactive in strategy and tactical execution; they become reactive in every decision. Mr. Obama is in complete reactive decision-making mode now. Contrast Mr. Obama’s overall message/vision with that of Governor Romney’s. Mr. Obama is downtrodden as was Carter in April, 32 years ago.

Friday I was driving around LAX to meet my wife after a trip and was listening to satellite radio (TV: FOX News) to hear Governor Romney’s speech at the NRA annual convention. Though I could not see him as he spoke, his message and delivery were reminiscent of those 1980 Reagan days. Without being dramatic, I was stunned by how it struck me viscerally. Few leaders will ever match the charisma and wit of the great communicator — but what do you expect? — Governor Romney did not have decades of training as an actor! And yet, that positive message and vision broke through in that speech.

DEMOCRATS UNITE!

In the last 60 days, I have had several discussions with three Democrats regarding their political leanings in November. One of these told me he is 98% certain he will vote for Governor Romney. The other two told me they have not made up their minds but they really like Romney. Both said they would certainly consider voting for Governor Romney if the nation stays on its current economic trajectory. All three told me they are very disappointed with Mr. Obama’s job performance. (One or more of them may eventually write a guest post for MRC.)

We need to hear from you. If you are a registered Democrat and you are seriously considering a vote for Governor Romney in November, please leave a comment on this post and be frank with us. We’re looking for candor. Why are you considering Governor Romney over Mr. Obama?

If you are a Democrat and have already decided to support Governor Romney and vote for him in November, what caused you to decide not to vote for President Obama this time around? Please take a moment and leave a comment on this post.

We are very interested to hear from any American that is a Democrat and considering Romney.

NOTE: This website is a grassroots site — we have no affiliation whatsoever with the official campaign of Governor Mitt Romney.

About Victor Lundquist:

Victor is a businessman working in the healthcare industry. He and his wife of 33 years have five children and four grandchildren. Vic has been blogging for Mitt Romney since 2007.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Democrats Uniting Behind Romney — Please Comment

1. Mary says:

I left the Democratic Party when Hillary Clinton lost the Democratic Nomination (we’re also known as P.U.M.A.’s – Party Unity My A**). I voted Republican for the first time in the ’08 general election and became a registered Republican in ’09. I will NOT go back to the Democratic Party – they have lost ‘face’ with me and too far to the left – I never trusted Obama and my instincts were correct. I love being a Republican and LOVE the Romneys!!!!!

2. tony says:

yea im a democratic and we need a new pr im voting for romney in 2012

3. Chris Carlson says:

I am from Mitt’s home state of Michigan, grew up when his father was Governor. I admired George’s integrity, because he stuck with his positions.

4. Debbie Moscato says:

Mary, I love that -”PUMA’s”! It’s so great to have you on TEAMROMNEY!

5. JT HUNT says:

I used to be a registered Democrat but voted Republican the last few go-rounds. I did not trust Obama’s comment of “spreading the wealth around”, and my gut guided me correctly. I am now a registered Republican, having done so after researching the Republican belief’s and the grand ole’ party for a few years now. I am a Republican! My husband is a registered Democrat who is voting for Mitt Romney (as we believe he will be the nominee) My husband and I attended a Mitt Romney rally, and agreed with his positive decry of “American The Beautiful” My husband admires Mitt Romney when he announces “I will insist on a military so powerful no one would ever think of challenging it.” My husband is, like me, a true conservative Republican after doing the research and learning the true differences between thinking/living like a Democrat and thinking/living like a Republican. We never ever lived our lives as a Democrat. Don’t ask me why we voted for Bill Clinton, I could not tell you, except at that young stage in our life, we thought we were forward thinking, because that is what we were told. We are voting for Mitt Romney–we are registered Republican and a registered Democrat in our household.

6. Annette says:

I am looking right now for good articles to e-mail a friend of mine. I do a lot of business with him and his father. They have a small trucking business in California. The father is a Republican but his son is sitting on the fence. I think Democrats crossing over to vote Republican would be a very effective tool. Some of my friends will never come around.

Vic…Loving your articles speaking out against Obama. Your articles are like a strong cup of coffee made for Republicans. I am looking for tea, but I may e-mail the article with Milton Friedman & Donahue.

7. John says:

I am rather go to work (stand with Mitt) than stay home with Obama,because I hate to be poor in the last 3 1/2 years.

8. Mary, Tony, Chris, JT, and John: Thank you for your comments and candor. If any of you would like to elaborate as to why you made the change, I would appreciate it as I believe your reasoning and rationale would be most instructive to others who are reading your comments.

Thank you again!

9. Tom Sonaggera says:

Vic, I’d like to suggest that the same offer be made to any Registered Independents like myself.

I was a Registered Democrat for a good number of years and as a young man, President Kennedy was my hero. A few years later, I began to realize that I did not recognize the Democratic Party any longer. It had changed and moved away from me. It was at that time that I woke up and no longer voted for the party, but for the man. I also realized that I could not in all good conscience remain a Democrat and registered as an Independent. I have remained so to this day. I am very Conservative and still vote for the person of my choice.

It just so happens that my choice in 2008 and now in 2012 is Mitt Romney. I could not vote for Obama in 2008 because the man had no experience and no business running for office. For some reason, people seemed to be in a feeding frenzy to vote for our first black President and all because he had a gift of gab and a slick tongue. Now, look where were at. I do hope the American people have learned a very costly mistake and never let this happen to our Country again.

Mitt Romney is and has been to only choice for my Son and I. We believe in this man who is a decent man with integrity. He has a huge job ahead of him, once he is in the Whitehouse and will need each of us to help and support him. Stand strong, stand straight. Let us feel once again what it is to be proud Americans.

10. Brian says:

I’m a Clinton Democrat that will be supporting Mitt Romney. I am a fiscal conservative and social moderate.

11. BAROH says:

I’m an independant who voted for Obama in 2008. The hypocrisy, mounting debt and health care being pushed through despite public opinion have me concerned. I lean towards Romney.

12. Teresa says:

I recently left the Democratic party after a strict upbringing of hating Republicans. When I moved out west, I found that I had no reason at all to dislike Republicans.
    Then Mitt came along. This time I paid attention and discovered how much I like him. And I love Ann.

It’s so simple. Mitt Romney has the perfect qualifications for the job, especially at this time. He’s going to win. I find him soothing, and I think many people will be surprised by his competence as a leader. He’s amazingly underestimated which is probably a plus. I also think they will soon discover how funny and charming he is.

Lots of Dems are going to vote for him. People from all sides seem to hate him now but that’s going to reverse dramatically. It’s time for Obama to move on down the road and intelligent, logical Democrats have a responsibility to make sure it happens smoothly. At least the ones who care about the country. Eventually the momentum will take over and we’ll be on our way.

13. patricia says:

@Tom Sonaggera
    SO well said!!!That is exactly how I feel, but you put it into words. I too want to be proud of our country, our president and his family. I have not felt like that in the last 4 yrs. the main thing that hit home for me was the fact that he had no “resume” for the job. He didn’t have the experience to be CEO of K-Mart and for some reason beyond my comprehension he was elected to head our country….frenzied young kids at concerts yelling “yes we can” please spare us from that craziness this time around…people must be better informed if we are to make it…

14. Jason says:

I have always been a democrat, but the last 12 years I have voted almost 100 % Republican. Obama’s direction that he is taking the Democratic party has made me come out of the closet and register as a Republican this year. I think the Democratic party will be shocked to find out how many Democrats believe in the free market and the American Dream instead of socialism. I think Romney is the best choice for beating President Obama due to the fact that Romney will attract more Independents and Democrats that a far right person would.

15. Vic Lundquist says:

To each of you, THANK YOU very much for taking time out to leave comments in this post and for visiting Mitt Romney Central. We will run these types of articles from time to time to help get a better understanding of why voters are choosing Governor Romney over Barack Obama, etc.

Tom: Thank you for your suggestion to make this offer to Independents. Clearly, Independent voters will be key to who will be our next president.

Again, thank you very much for your thoughtful comments.