Any grassroots site has the right to moderate itself any way it chooses. The main purpose of this piece is to present a few examples of Free Republic and Red State’s apparent disdain for Gov. Romney and spur discussion that will hopefully lead to discovery of what motivates those feelings because it seems very illogical considering our shared goals of nominating a conservative (which both sites seemed to think Mitt was in 2008) and making President Obama a 1-term President.

Embarassed of Free Republic and Red StateThe editors at Red State and Free Republic (among others) have had the wool pulled over their eyes. They seem to actually believe the lies originally propagated by supporters of President Obama and, in some cases, even by President Obama himself. Now, for some reason, these editors/moderators are so insecure in their prejudice against Gov. Romney that they ban people who openly support Gov. Romney. Free Republic (mostly because of it’s owner Jim Robinson) has purged all of the Romney supporters they could from the site in two waves of purges over the last few years. The anti-Romney and anti-Mormon bigotry evident at Free Republic now is absolutely sickening.

I haven’t been to Free Republic quite as much as I used to partly because I have been banned from posting. During the 2008 election, Mitt was accepted and lauded by many at Free Republic like he was by most conservatives. One of the best summaries of Gov. Romney’s accomplishments was actually from Free Republic. However, Jim Robinson seemingly fell in love with Sarah Palin and initiated purges of anyone who wouldn’t pledge allegiance to her. A few months back, I tried to make a new account and see if I could post about Gov. Romney’s jobs plan and I was promptly banned and called a few derogatory names implying that I was a Mormon. Besides the fact that I am not Mormon, I can’t for the life of me figure out how a site like that, filled with such hate, can find enough donors to keep it going. When I think of Free Republic, I’m reminded of the scene from Star Wars Episode IV where Luke is warned that he is entering “A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villany”.

Red State has been fairly hostile to Gov. Romney for awhile, but they have crossed into new lows now as well. The guys from WhyRomney.com have been working very hard and diligently to refute some of the many misconceptions about Gov. Romney, and I hope this unfortunate episode won’t dissuade them or anyone else from trying to correct the people endlessly smearing Gov. Romney. What so many of these people who don’t like Gov. Romney don’t seem to realize is that they have been fed reasons to not like Gov. Romney by highly-funded democratic think tanks. It’s abundantly clear now, no matter what Rush Limbaugh says, that President Obama is scared to death of facing Mitt Romney in the general election.

If you want to check out the three open letters posted to Red State, you can read the one on mandates and health care here, the one about abortion here, and the final one on miscellaneous issues here unless Red State removes the posts now that they have cowardly banned the authors of the letters. Also, I’ve saved a screen shot of the admin belittling the efforts of our friends from WhyRomney and giving his/her bogus reason for banning them which you can read here just in case the admin tries to cover his/her tracks in shame. If you want to see how rude Free Republic is without actually subjecting yourself to the hate, just click here for a screen shot of the reason they banned the author of a similar open letter.

I know there are bastions of bigotry against Mormons on other sites besides Free Republic and that Free Republic and Red State aren’t the only sites that have ever banned people they disagreed with, but I’ve concluded that they are the grandparents of this anti-Romney crusade that fortunately seems destined to fail. Some other sites seem predisposed against supporting Mitt, but not at the dangerous level of these two.

The motives of people like Mark Levin and Rush Limbaugh to not want Gov. Mitt Romney to be the GOP nominee are easier to understand (hint: they make more money with President Obama in the White House). However, some have suggested they have just been fed a lot of misinformation like George Will has, but the fact that they all were much more supportive of Mitt in 2008 makes me skeptical of that explanation. I believe many other sites and conservatives are simply following the lead of Limbaugh, Levin, and Will which is reinforced by the disingenuous moderators at Red State, the sheltered leader of Free Republic, and the lack of journalistic integrity at Fox News when it comes to telling both sides of the stories involving Mitt. It’s hard to blame the average voter for believing a lot of the lies about Gov. Romney when they have to dig around all of these voices they used to respect and rely on.

Most other conservative sites that support candidates other than Mitt at least vow to support Mitt if he is the nominee, but I worry about what is festering at Free Republic and now, Red State. Once our nominee is selected, we will need all hands on deck to defeat President Obama. The members of these two sites should realize how detrimental the actions of their leaders may end up being to the ultimate cause of making President Obama a one-term President. I hope they will ask for their leaders to act in a more responsible fashion.

What can Romney supporters do about this other than expose and confront the lies and hope the people we are talking about become ashamed of what they’ve done? At the very least, some of their followers might stop listening to them and give Gov. Romney a fair shake. Telling the truth and persisting in spreading that knowledge like the folks at WhyRomney did and so many of us already do is great. A new tool has just launched to help us as well. MittFitts.com has launched promising to provide us with numerous cartoons we can use to supplement our pro-Romney facts and arguments. You can learn more about the new site here, but before you do, check out their inaugural cartoon. This cartoon could very easily be used to point out the prejudice of someone like Free Republic’s Jim Robinson as well. I look forward to next week’s cartoon(s) now as well. Welcome to cause MittFitts!

UPDATE by Jayde Nov 10,2011

I was surprised to see this letter on Erickson’s site today. Maybe he is paying attention…

Click on letter to enlarge

UPDATE 2: Politico has discovered that George Will’s wife work for the Perry campaign, so that’s one less person we need to try to discover the motivations of their flip-flopping on Mitt.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Red State and Free Republic Declare War on Mitt Romney Supporters for Some Reason

1. ccr says:

Thanks for the post. I’ve not been to those sites very much at all but I’ve heard recently of their prejudice. American Thinker is a site that I visited faithfully for a number of months but as I noted very few comments I made in support of Romney never got posted. After several comments that I knew would never get past the “censors”, I have pretty much stopped reading any propaganda from them.

The hate from the so-called right/conservative sources is just the beginning. My feelings are that if Mitt is to help “save”/turn around our country, God will certainly have to intervene.

2. Rebel Ross says:

Has George Will turned into a shock-jock saying whatever will gain him the most readers and attention? http://gop12.thehill.com/2011/10/george-will-romney-is-recidivist.html

In the spirit of Halloween, it is horrifying that I’m hearing some people say they’d rather have President Obama for four more years than support Mitt Romney. Morning Joe is hearing the same things from some misguided conservatives.

3. stuntman says:

Rebel nice expose. Keep up the good fight!

Go Mitt!

4. Bill says:

Why is it a problem to tell the truth about romney? is it because he’s about half democrat, and establishment republicans won’t utter the truth about rinos, just like they won’t go after the obvious lies and corruption of democrats? is that it?….there’s no gain without Cain.

5. 39moves says:

Paranoid much? So if I comment on your website trashing Mitt you will not eventually ban me? You have your agenda do you not?

Both those websites are not anti-Mormon – maybe some posters are but that is their opinion – the “sites” are not.

Maybe so many sites say negative things about Romney is because the bulk of Conservatives don’t like his positions.

Just because it is his turn doesn’t mean we have to settle.

ccr – hate? this is what primaries are all about – people discussing, choosing their candidate. I noticed you find “propaganda” in numerous sites – is it because you are not open to other trains of thought? Anything different than what you think is propaganda?

6. michael sall says:

Maybe Mitt is full of s–t.. His need for nuance on every issue betrays the truth…he will adopt either side of any issue if he thinks it will help politically. No wonder Obama fears him…they are cut from the same unethical cloth. Haven’t we endured enough McCains, Grahmes, and Bob Doles. Like David Brock, Arianna Huffungton and David Souter, all of whom claimed to be conservative, he makes conservative claims as a means to an end..a liberal end.

7. Great piece. I was banned from Red State and I can’t even access the site anymore: my IP has actually been banned. As I recall, the moderator never once refuted a single fact I laid out in defense of Romney and the only reason he gave for me being banned for making him “throw up” in his “mouth”. I guess hearing the truth gives him heartburn.

8. Arg says:

Dude, you’re not doing Romney any favors by acting like a pathetic crybaby. Stop whining.

This is politics and politics is not a science. In this business form is more important than content and emotion is more important than reason. And you won’t convince anybody that you are right by telling them that they are wrong.

Redstate and FR are not impartial sites. They make money by promoting specific candidates. If you come out in the open promoting other candidates you’re obviously going to get banned.

There are thousands of Romney supporters at FR but for obvious reasons they are not open about it. I was active there in 2008 and know for a fact that most people posting there today voted for Romney at least once. Next year they’ll all be mittbots again. Count on it.

9. CF says:

All this whining and crying from the bigots should make us happy. It simply means that Romney’s success has gotten deeply under their skin. I will have a big smile on my face each and every day these people have to wake up in the morning to see Mitt Romney, member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, on their television screen.

10. auh2o says:

After the way the Romney campaign tried to torpedo Sarah Palin in 2008 so that Romney could be the chosen one in 2012, I wouldn’t vote for Romney if my life depended on it. It made me loathe Romney and his campaign staff with a passion.

And what would be the point of voting for him, anyway? I’d just be replacing one spineless liberal flip-flopper with another in the White House. Face it, you Romney sycophants (gollee gosh, I didn’t even know there WAS such a thing!) – nobody likes your guy. NOBODY.

11. Dave says:

Third party by Paul is the talk if Mitt gets the nomination. Mitt wouldn’t do this as he would stand behind anyone on the republican ticket

12. davidfarrar says:

Don’t feel bad, RR,

I, too have been declared “persona non grata” by both Red States and Free Republic for virtually the same reason, although at Red State, they don’t put up with no frigging birthers is the reason — which brings me to my point: I have spent the last two days pouring over the life and times of Miles Park Romney: Mitt Romney’s great-grandfather (paternal), Helamen Pratt: Mitt Romney’s great-grandfather (maternal), Gaskell Romney: Mitt Romney’s grandfather (paternal), George W. Romney: Mitt Romney’s father.

I have found overwhelming prima facie evidence, including a copy of Mexican Naturalization papers for Helamen Pratt, that suggests Mitt Romney’s father, was not a US citizen at the time of Mitt’s birth, making Mitt Romney a 14th Amendment Citizen and not a natural born Citizen.

George Romney was born in Mexico to expatriated Mormon parents. That made him a citizen of Mexico at birth and not a US citizen “natural born” or otherwise.

Please believe me when I say this issue has nothing whatsoever to do with politics. It is just upholding the provisions of the Constitution, and nothing more.

I call upon Mitt Romney now to either post Gaskell Romney’s US naturaliztion documentes (or repatriated record) or George Romney’s US naturaliztion documents he would have filled out and signed when he was 21 years of age, or withdraw from the presidential race as Constitutionally unqualified to take the oath of office of the presidency of the United States.

ex animo
    davidfarrar
    *Print/Screen

13. Machtyn says:

@davidfarrar
    It doesn’t matter. Mitt Romney is a US Citizen, naturally. He has the birth certificate to prove it.

And auh20 (Goldwater, nice), Romney did not try to torpedo McCain and Palin in 2008.

14. Johnny-Come-Lately says:

@Rebel Ross

This post is pathetic. Why are you crying? Are you saying Mitt Romney Central allows comments from all viewpoints? Because they don’t. This site is one of the worst in terms of allowing other voices to be heard. They don’t allow people to spell out R-Paul’s full name—it shows up as Captain America instead. This site bans people left and right. The guys who run this site are proud of the way they ban other viewpoints. It’s almost a badge of honor for them. And, you know what, who cares? It’s their site. Quit being a baby.

Rebel Ross spams Red State and Free Republic with his pro-Romney crap all the time. I know this for a fact. No one wants to read what you have to say, Rebel Ross, and it has anything to do with a disdain for Romney. For the most part you just can’t make a coherent point, and you struggle with basic grammar. Your comments and links to your poorly written posts, bring nothing to the table. Why would Red State or Free Republic allow you to spam their site in order to bring more viewers to this site and the other blog where you post your junk? It has nothing to do with being anti-Mormon (you love making that charge) or anti-Romney; it has everything to do with your inability to formulate a coherent, readable argument.

Is it really that hard to see why most people don’t like Mitt Romney? The guy didn’t have any of the positions he claims to have today, prior to 2007. George Will’s column on Romney hit the nail right on the head. It’s a must read: http://wapo.st/sbFncE Romney is nothing but a political opportunist, who will say and do anything to get elected. The man has no core beliefs.

Just like the candidate they support, Romney supporters attack the character of anyone who disagrees with them in order to distract from legitimate criticism coming from conservatives. It’s truly pathetic.

Oh, and I just took a screen shot of this comment published on this site…just in case. Funny how Rebel Ross doesn’t have a problem with MRC doing the exact thing he is complaining about.

15. GreatRom says:

The reason why they are all going after Romney is because he makes Perry look like the idiot he is. The far right is mad because their candidates suck, can’t articulate their points like Romney can. They have tried unsuccessfully to take Romney down with one of their candidates, so they have to trash Romney.

The funny thing is that they all call Romney a flip flopper, but in 2008 these same clowns have said Romney is the ultimate Conservative. Heck, Rush Limbaugh is quoted as saying Romney has all 3 stools of conservatism. Now they say he is a liberal and we got a clown up above resorting to a far right playbook, question their citizenship. It’s a joke and you wonder why the Democrats have had majorities for a long time.

16. News junkie says:

I generally stayed away from freerepublic after the 2008 election because it had such a low-class level of comments on so many subjects, including Romney, including blog postings bragging of their bigotry and hatred, which was so thick in the air you could nearly cut it.

But about 2 1/2 years ago, I browsed in. Although in between presidential elections, the comments about MR were so outrageous, I decided to comment. I’d had an account years before, but it had expired apparently so I re-registered. I replied to some misinformation with facts and provided supporting links. I was insulted and attacked feverishly by a batch of these of RomNots, who were at the level I think they were even calling me a communist, of all childish things. I did not personally attack them or name call. The very next day, I went to reply on that thread and found out I was banned without an explanation. I emailed the site asking the reason. I never got a reply.

This taught me two things: 1.) The outrageous comments were not out of ignorance, but misrepresentations made out of a blind-like bias. 2.) The environment was like it was because the people running the site not only permitted it, by allowing the bashing to go out of control and completely unabated, but fostered it by banning voices and opinions to the contrary.

In the end, their reputation becomes tarnished, they lose viewers they otherwise would have kept, and no one takes them serious. They can have their online nitch, with like-minded Klan-like political attitudes. Eventually, I think they’ll see their constant rediculous accuations and predictions didn’t make a nat’s difference in the final outcome.

17. Marilyn says:

George Will is out today with an article attacking Romney for his lack of principles and saying this is going to make him unelectable. I don’t think so, even though Rick Perry’s supporters are trying to make it otherwise, that is, the right wing talk radio show hosts. Moderates and Independents are not going to vote for Rick Perry and they need to stop trying to force him on us.

18. Marilyn says:

Hummm, Red State and Free Republic are acting like communists with their ban of free speech.

19. davidfarrar says:

@Machtyn

So what you are saying is, Mitt’s as legal as Obama? According to the US Supreme Court, a natural born Citizen is a person born of citizen parents within the jurisdiction. Is Mitt telling us he was born of two citizen parents?

ex animo
    davidfarrar

20. BoxwoodDE says:

Jim Robinson is a toothless old grifter and FReeRepublic is a pale shadow of itself during the Clinton years. No thoughtful conservative is hanging around at that grim echo chamber anymore.

21. Arg says:

George Will is a moron. These attacks help Romney but the attackers are too stupid to realize it.

Romney didn’t lose in 2008 because of lack of conservative support. Look at the exit polls. He won among conservatives but lost among moderates and liberals, who all voted for McCain.

The charges of RINOism push the moderates and liberals towards Romney. And in the end, conservatives will vote for him anyway because the alternatives are worse.

So just relax and watch Romney’s numbers go up when he gets attacked from the right. Rest assured that everything is going according to plan.

22. Terrye says:

Who does George Will like? Palin..nope..Bush….nope. He is like a lot of pundits..all he knows how to run is his mouth. Romney is a smart and competent executive..we could use that right now.

23. I am troubled by several things Romney has said and done, but I am still a very VERY solid supporter. But I am also troubled by the lack of substantive defense of Romney in the comments here.

24. Marvin Hernandez Suarez says:

I stand firm on the side of Mitt Romney.. History itself judged who really are the Mormons in the land of America (Many will notice that they are indeed great and peculiar people.) Truth continue to march on and history itself will be its judge, who really are the LIARS..

25. ccr says:

@39moves

We should be able to disagree w/out being disagreeable……or ugly, hateful. Are the sites in question for particular candidates? If they are, they should state so upfront. This IS a Mitt Romney GRASSROOTS site. So………hate, venom spewed on here is not appreciated. However, remarks with respect and thought are appreciated in this comment section as well as the chatbox.

Propaganda is information with little/no basis of truth or intentional distortion of facts IMO. Lazy and intentional “reporting” of Romney lies are propaganda and manipulation of readers. Readers, beware. Sure, we are “prejudice” on this Romney grassroots site, but we don’t promote intentional lies.

26. ccr says:

@News junkie

Thanks for sharing your experience since they are not sites I have frequented or ever tried to comment. Your analysis was thoughtful.

Steven In Br…… Many of us are SOLID supporters of Romney here. The issue is the attitude of the two sites……….which now will be avoided for an honest give and take “convo” of the GOP primary. I like HONEST dialogue with supporters of other candidates. It’s unfortunate there are a number of so-called “conservative” sites that are NOT for HONEST discussion in their comment section.

27. Ryan says:

@StevenInBrooklyn

Steve, I appreciate your comment, however there’s not much to defend in this thread because the attacks against Romney haven’t been substantive. They haven’t addressed or refuted anything in the open letter, and they conflate demonstrable spam (such as off-topic R-Paul outbursts) with polite discussion.

Just like the MSM conflates the Tea Party movement with the Occupy movement.

Comment moderation is a legitimate necessity. No one said it wasn’t. The post written above by Rebel Ross exposes moderation abuse aimed at silencing honest discussion.

28. mike in LV says:

@auh2o
    Torpedo’ed? Really? I will have to have you show me a source. As far as I know The Campaign has been nothing but inviting to Palin. In fact, Palin wasn’t really even a player until after the primaries were over and done with. So please please show me a source for this one.

29. mike in LV says:

@Arg I respectfully agree with Arg. People are being silly about the whole Anti-Romney thing. Right now they can be. But when whom ever they espouse isn’t voted for and Mitt gets the Nom. they will turn around. And at that point let by-gone’s be by-gones and work together to get Mitt in the white house and President Obama out.

30. mike in LV says:

Interesting about some of the comments here. We are clearly at a Pro-Romney Website. As if the Web Address didn’t give it away. Seems to me that if some sites are to be clearly a certain candidates site or an anti-candidate site, they should have that open and free. I am not saying that an Anti-candidate site is correct, but people are with in their rights to do so. If they do not state a clear purpose in support or de-famation of a candidate then it is wrong for them to do so.

Here at MRC we do not allow the chat box to be cluttered with Spam, bashing, and etc. We invite folks to come and learn about Romney, ask honest questions, and such. Folks who are respective of our rules are welcome no matter whom they support.

The issue is, most of the folks who come here are not here to have open meaningful discussion. Someone refered to Congress man Paul’s name change. That’s not out of disrespect to the Doctor. Thats merely a device to catch the spammers. As we have seen many of those who espouse Dr. Paul to be the most militant and closed minded people to come. Some disagree with that tactic. Your opinion is noted and respectfully disagreed with.

How many of you believe that you could go over to A Honda Dealership and start arguing how Ford’s are superior and be allowed on the premise? How about going into McDonald’s and shouting on a Bullhorn the greatness of burger king? The institutions would not allow it. So we come back to this. THIS IS A GRASSROOTS SITE FOR MITT ROMNEY! We are not supported, nor collaborate with the campaign. This is purely a site for Romney supporters and those wanting to learn about Romney can come to. Let other sites and Talking-head commentators say what they will. We Stand With Mitt.

31. Ryan says:

@mike in LV

Good point. Moreover, MRC has a forum. Moderation certainly has it’s place, the issue is moderation abuse at anti-Romney sites. No one said RedState/FR don’t have a right to ban people. But just as they have the right to make e-martyrs out of Romney supporters, those supporters have just as much right to expose their inability to engage in substantive discussion.

32. Moose says:

Great point! I for some reason believe that the smear attempts by the george ‘obama, daniels or pawlenty will be the next president’ will types, and those from redstate will come back to bite them in the butt.

33. Marilyn says:

Mitt Romney is an honest man who hasn’t been bought by Rupert Murdoch or the Koch Brothers. Who supports the right wing talk show hosts? Mitt Romney is not corrupt. What more substance do I need to discuss?

Today, the HP headline is equating Mitt with Dukakis. Good try by them, but it’s not going to stick. Mitt’s the new Teflon Man.

34. Marilyn says:

@Rebel Ross George Will is definitely trying to “knock-off” Romney. Today’s “hit piece”:
    George Will: Mitt Romney May Be The Next Michael Dukakis

No, George, Mitt Romney is not the next Michael Dukakis.

35. Rebel Ross says:

I have to wonder: if Dukakis and Kerry had been from any other state other than Massachusetts, would people even be making these comparisons? Because the people Romney draws comparisons to from intellectually lazy pundits are only worth comparing on the surface. Once you get beyond that, from an electoral standpoint they couldn’t be any more different. http://race42012.com/2011/10/24/politicians-of-a-feather/

36. Marilyn says:

These pundits aren’t desperate to “save the conservative movement”, they are desperate to retain control of their listeners, and, therefore, of their own job!

37. Chris says:

@davidfarrar
    Give it a rest. Mitt was born in this country. Period. McCain was also born outside the US. i guess his nomination was also illegal?

38. davidfarrar says:

@Chris

Yes, Mitt was born in this country, but I have yet to find any definitive “proof” his father, “George” was, himself, a US citizen, at the time Mitt was born. If this be the case, Mitt, being a 14th Amendment citizen, would not , in fact, be able to legally take the oath of office of the presidency, just as it was illegal for Obama to take the oath of office of the presidency.

If you do have any documentary evidence to the contrary, please post it so we all can move on to other issues.

ex animo
    davidfarrar

39. Marilyn says:

@davidfarrar And just what documentary evidence would you believe?

40. Deg says:

@davidfarrar Remember that Mitt’s father also ran for President, so he must have had his documentation in order when he filed his paper as a candidate for the republican party.

41. Hungarian Crusader says:

Mitt must be doing something right with all these haters against Romney.

Mormonism is not my religion but I have no problem with it unlike islamism as that IS a problem.

Islamism is seditious by nature and slowly destroying this nation from the inside.
    Romney is extremely aware-informed on islam as indicated in his book and he will be a bulwark against islamic threats to the US and our allies. He certainly does not mince words and he is very refreshing as one politician who wont apologize or kowtow to muslims.

WIN MITT!!!!!!!

42. davidfarrar says:

@Marilyn

Please see my Number 12 post.

Thank you.

ex animo
    davidfarrar

43. davidfarrar says:

@Deg

Yes, I know he did. There, again, there was nothing in the record that even hinted that George may not be a US citizen, “natural born” or otherwise.

What George’s lawyers suggested at the time was that because his father, Gaskell was a US. citizen, that made George a US. Citizen. Which is fine with me, if that is their story. But they know that couldn’t possibly be true. So right now all I am asking of the Romney people at to get their story straight.

But at present, all I see is Mitt Romney trying too pull off the very same fraud Obama has just finished pulling off, and in the process, destroying our Constitution just a little more.

ex animo
    davidfarrar

44. Marilyn says:

@davidfarrar Naturalization papers are not in order here since he was already a U.S. Citizen from having been born here.

45. davidfarrar says:

@Marilyn

George Romney was born in Mexico to expatriated Mormon parents. That made him a citizen of Mexico at birth and not a US citizen. What this all means is, unless Mitt can produce some kind of naturalization papers for his father; like Obama, Mitt would not be a “natural born” citizen and cannot legally take the oath of office for the presidency.

ex animo
    davidfarrar

46. Rebel Ross says:

@davidfarrar
    What don’t you understand about the 14th amendment? http://wwws.14thamendment.us/amendment/14th_amendment.html George Romney is irrelevant to this discussion because Mitt was born in Detroit and has a birth certificate, tons of family, news articles, pictures, and just about as much to prove it as anyone else.

47. MaryL. says:

Who cares what either of those sites thinks/does. They are legends in their own minds. They’ll be squealing when Mitt gets the nomination.

48. SandyLester says:

@davidfarrar
    Geo Romney’s parents never gave up their US citizenship. They never made Geo or the multitudes of kids Mexican citizens.

49. Ryan says:

@Marilyn

I tend to think George Will is surrounded by people feeding him false claims about Mitt, and he’s just caught up in the culture or narrative. Same thing with Rush. I think George Will and Rush Limbaugh are both good people but they aren’t getting the facts on Mitt because the facts are being suppressed.

50. Dan says:

@Ryan
    I hope you’re right, but then how do you explain the fact that they used to like Mitt a lot more than they do now and Mitt has done nothing since 2008 that they complain about. They only complain about things that were known when they used to like Mitt.

Wow, Politico wrote a 2nd story about this now! http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1111/RedState_We_dont_ban_Mittites_but_bigotry_claims.html?showall

51. Ryan says:

@Dan

Although Mitt has not done anything for them to complain about these last several years, the Huckabee supporters and others who despised Mitt four years ago have taken this time to get organized and to spread the smears and create new smears. People like George Will have forgotten about 2008, while the haters never forgot and have been busy rewriting history.

52. Rebel Ross says:

@Ryan
    A lot of these smears originated from the DNC and from President Obama’s organizations as well.

Also, on a separate note, David French from patheos.com does a great job defending us at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frenchrevolution/2011/11/02/mitt-romney-the-tea-party-and-the-rise-of-conservative-political-correctness/

53. davidfarrar says:

@Machtyn

I assume Mitt Romney has a birth certificate. It’s his father’s birth certificate we are discussing here. It’s funny how many people want to skip over this point. An A2S1C5 nbC requires a single allegiance at birth, that is: both parents must be US citizens at the time of Mitt’s birth. Now I assume Mitt’s mother was a US citizen at the time of Mitt’s birth, but Mitt’s father was born in Mexico, as a matter of record.

ex animo
    davidfarrar

54. Marilyn says:

No, he wasn’t born in Mexico as a matter of record and that’s the end of it. He was an American citizen who did not give up his citizenship when he went to Mexico, and then he came back. Quit spreading lies that you cannot back up with facts.

55. davidfarrar says:

@Rebel Ross

Yes, some would suggest that Wong Kim Ark might offer a cure; but does it?

What do you think?

ex animo
    davidfarrar

56. Rob says:

@davidfarrar, I assume you are holding to your opinion that the ruling in MINOR V. HAPPERSETT defines natural born citizenship as only “all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners.” However, this is a sloppy, undergraduate conclusion since the Court specifically says that the issue of of whether children born within the jurisdiction without reference to the jurisdiction of their parents is not an issue that the Court will decide.

So what did the Court in Minor actually say? It did say that children born within the jurisdiction to citizen parents are indeed natural born citizens. It also said that it would not decide if natural born citizenship applied to children who were born within the jurisdiction to parents who are not citizens. Therefore, the conclusion that children born to foreigners within the jurisdiction of the US are not Natural Born Citizens because of the Minor case is wholly unfounded.

57. davidfarrar says:

Yes, and, no, Rob. I agree, the difference is small, but, unfortunately, dispositive in Mitt Romney’s case.

The Minor court did say the issue of whether children born within the jurisdiction without reference to the jurisdiction of their parents (14th Amendment citizens) is not an issue that the Court will — needed to decide … because the Minor court needed only to establish Mrs. Minor’s citizenship, as the 2nd syllabus of the case clearly states.

Therefore, the conclusion of the Minor court is that children born of a single allegiance at birth are natural born Citizens. The only way to achieve a single allegiance at birth, unless I am missing something here, is by being born of two citizen parents.

If Mitt’s father was, technically, a Mexican citizen at the time of Mitt’s birth; Mitt cannot possibly be a single allegiance, natural born Citizen.

ex animo