Quick and Easy Fact-Checking of RickPerry.org

Via Twitter I stumbled upon an article at RickPerry.org and it only took me 2 minutes to find a major flaw in the numbers that blows open Perry’s claim to be the superior job creator. Team Perry responds to a “false, desperate attack” from Mitt’s team that points out while the US added no jobs to the economy in August under Obama (President Zero), Texas actually lost jobs to the tune of minus 1300 under Perry (Governor Sub-Zero).

The tables of data that RickPerry.org provides yield some unintended consequences when placed under the tiniest bit of scrutiny. First, here is the data taken directly from RickPerry.org, though I added a row of data (in red) on the second table for analysis purposes:

While Mitt Romney was governor of Massachusetts (Jan. 2003 – Jan. 2007):
[table "39" not found /]

[table "40" not found /]

Now this is not too difficult to figure out, just look a the “change” columns. In Massachusetts during Romney’s tenure the state population only grew by 6000, but in the same time MA added 39,500 jobs added to the private sector. In Texas on the other hand (Perry as Governor), the population grew by a whopping 1.6 million but only added less than half that amount of jobs in the private sector, about 750,000.

What is the end result? Obviously in MA that equals a much lower unemployment rate, but oddly enough Texas’ unemployment rate dropped as well. Does that mean the “other” jobs created were actually created in the government? Perhaps that could be why Texas’ government spending has doubled while Perry has been Governor.

The Big Question for Perry: Sure Texas is creating a lot of jobs, but is that rate high enough to match the growth in population? If not, unemployment rates will not go down.

The Cold Hard Facts: #1-Unemployment in Texas hit 8.5% last month, the highest it has been in 24 years! #2-The state of Texas also happens to be 46th out of 50 in poverty rate – 28% higher than the national average!!

If that is a fantastic record of economic prowess, then I have a Texas-sized bridge I want to sell you.

Factcheck #2: Team Perry calls Romney’s campaign “flailing”, but according to Rasmussen (and backed by other polls) in the space of one month Perry’s lead over Romney has shrunk from 11% to 4%. One does not “flail” when they are edging up in the polls. Perhaps this article by Team Perry is “flailing” as they are now edging downward.

~Nate G.

Bonus: On twitter Dave Weigel jokes: So if Perry is Governor Sub Zero, that makes Romney Governor Scorpion. #getoverhere

I was stumped by this for awhile until I recalled my junior-high Mortal Kombat video game days.

Governor Sub-Zero and Governor Scorpion

Sub-Zero and Scorpion square off in Mortal Kombat, ie, the GOP Primary

Nate owns and manages a small souvenir manufacturing business. He and his wife of 12 years have 2 children. Nate has been blogging for Mitt Romney since late 2006 and is co-founder and editor of MittRomneyCentral.com.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ YouTube

Tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Quick and Easy Fact-Checking of RickPerry.org

1. PAULEE says:

Great research….and information….thx….Nate…posting….

2. Ben C. says:

I llike to see these “comparison pieces” that contrast the different candidates. Thanks for posting.

3. Dan says:

I like the research however, of the 1.6+ million new residents, how many of those are children, and thus would not be employed. I like where you’re going but further analysis is needed for a more accurate comparison. The same would hold true for the data in MA.

4. Renna says:

I hope Governor Romney has this information for the debate tomorrow night. I am forwarding it to those on the campaign that I know here in Florida. Did you send it to them, Nate?

Thank you so much for all of the current information. I am here several times each day and have come to rely on you and Jayde to keep us up to speed with the latest important information.

5. Stan says:

The comparison is awesome. I knew that Perry couldn’t stand up to Mitt. Great job.

6. Brian says:

Factcheck #3: How many of those in the TX population increase are actually legal citizens?

7. Marilyn says:

RE: http://www.huffingtonpost.com has this article today “Political Bailout: Did Mitt Romney save Rick Perry’s job?”

So Bob Perry bought himself a governor and Mitt Romney helped facilitate that by his being on the committee? How exactly did Romney commit fraud here? I certainly understand how the Perry campaign did. Romney needs to immediately clear this up or it’s going to hurt him badly. He’s got a reputation for being “clean”, but not if he doesn’t refute this ASAP.

8. John says:

I hope Perry calls Romney “Obama-lite” tonight. At that point I hope Romney says. Rick, the American people need a canditate that comes to the table with more than just name calling. America needs a person that has solved economic problems in the real world, a person with answers that will help them and their families through these tough times. We don’t need any more “discussions”, we need a leader with a plan and a proven track record, and that leader is me!

9. Renna says:

Mariilyn: Reasons this will not get legs

1) Huffington Post
    2) Far too complicated fr the average person to comprehend.
    3) Sounds like your typical “political smear” tactic