Mitt Romney Plays Hardball on ‘The Kudlow Report’

Larry Kudlow, host of CNBC’s The Kudlow Report, hosted a quick-paced interview with Gov Mitt Romney this evening. Prior to the program, Romney gave us the ‘heads up’ with a couple of tweets:

@Larry_Kudlow Looking forward to being on @thekudlowreport today to discuss jobs and the economy #Mitt2012

Great talking to @Larry_Kudlow today. Watch @CNBC @thekudlowreport tonight at 7pm. http://twitpic.com/4k4xr8 #Mitt2012

Kudlow, whose program regularly features top officials from the White House and Capitol Hill, business leaders, and top journalists, played hardball with questions on the economy, whose head should roll at the White House, trade and competitiveness with China, health care, Donald Trump, and more:

Many thanks to Mitt Romney. He was tough and intense.” ~Larry Kudlow

► Jayde Wyatt

Tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Mitt Romney Plays Hardball on ‘The Kudlow Report’

1. Good interview/piece. He needs to get to the MA Healthcare specifics. I hope he’s delaying that so that when he does, more people are watching (later on).

2. PS: He’s PRESIDENTIAL.

3. Evelio Perez says:

Wow Jade, what a great interview, Romney was great, as a loyal supporter of Governor Romney since 2007, I think he is by far at his best right now and in my opinion is ready for all questions and all comers and I trully believe that Mitt Romney will become the next President of the United States, God willing……

4. Jayde Wyatt says:

I agree! Mitt IS presidential and this was a great interview.

When this aired on television, it was done in two parts. After the first break, Kudlow did a lead in with this: “I went after him [Romney] and he went right back after me.”

Yes, Evelio, God willing, Mitt will be our next president.

5. john heimburger says:

This is the Mitt Romney we want and need to hear…tough with solid ideas about bringing jobs back to the U.S., tax reforms allowing citizens to pursue their dreams with small businesses. Go to it, Mitt!

6. Jared A. says:

Awesome interview!!

He handled himself very well and answered the questions perfectly, especially the birther issue.

It shows that he’s really Presidential material!!

7. Noelle says:

Wow! What a great interview. Romney 2012!

8. Graham says:

You’ve got questions. Mitt’s got solutions.

9. Banking Cartel says:

“I’m not going to focus on the Fed.”

Some quotes for Brother Romney:

“[One of the basic planks of socialism is] centralization of credit in the hands of the state, by means of a national bank with state capital and an exclusive monopoly.” – Karl Marx

“The establishment of a central bank is 90% of communizing [socializing] a country.” – Vladimir Lenin

“Print is the sharpest and strongest weapon of our party.” – Joseph Stalin

“Let me issue and control a nation’s money and I care not who writes the laws.” – Mayer Amschel Rothschild

“Control oil and you control nations; control food and you control the people; control money and you control the world.” – Henry Kissinger

Perhaps he might prefer this source:

“The root of all evil is money, some say. But the root of our money evil is government. The very beginning of our troubles can be traced to the day when the federal government overstepped its proper defensive function and began to manipulate the monetary system to accomplish political objectives. The creation of the Federal Reserve Board made it possible in America for men arbitrarily to change the value of our money. Previously, that value had been determined solely by the natural interplay of the amount of precious metals held in reserve, the value men freely placed on those precious metals, and the amount of material goods which were available for sale or exchange.” – Ezra Taft Benson

10. Marilyn says:

Yes, well, it isn’t going to immediately work to bring jobs back. In the meantime, we’ve got a trillion dollar deficit. If he’s intellectually honest, he’s got to realize that we are going to have to address the revenue side.

11. The revenue side is raised from volume of an increwased tax base instead of bashing the few who are working. Obvious you didn’t listen well. He is focusing on the middle class not the top 1% of who have tons of money. Also separately s corporations (his idea) from individual rates is brilliant. S corporations often are small franchises and restaraunts who hire workers the most. Obama again has no clue how economies work. Mitt does.

12. separating (typo)

13. One more thing Obama is gutting our air force at a time when the enemy is closing in. General McPeak warned him and he ignored the warning. One year later the test planes from China and Russia were airborne and we looked like fools. You can relocate F22 and f35 plants to non union states or renogiate the contracts in the best interest of the taxpayer to lower costs from 350 million each. Instead we shut it all down and laid 181,000 workers off instead. That is the trademark of an amateur.

14. Marilyn says:

I listened, believe me, I listened. I’m on his side. I read his book No Apology and I agree with almost every thing he had to say. He’s a no-nosense type of guy who can be practical, but not necessarily pragmatic. There is a difference between the two.

The position of the G.O.P. is not to raise any taxes for anybody and to even not close loopholes. Is he going to go against the party on this, or be a true leader and fight against the current?

Yes, I am anti-Obama. I am FOR Mitt more than I am anti-Obama. With that said, I’m ready to see some hard-charging, no nonsense leadership that cuts through all the bull.

Yes, our military has been neglected and the cause of this, as far as I’m concerned, is the outsourcing and off-shorting of military side expenditures and military actions.

We need ships and we need to replace the National Guard equipment used up in Iraq and Afghanistan, and now in Libya.

I am for a sovereign nation, I’m not a citizen of the world more than I’m a citizen of the good ole USA. With that said, people need to wake up. We’re falling further and further behind because we refuse to spend the right amounts of money in the right places.

The book, The Betrayal of American Prosperity by Clyde Prestowitz is a real eye opener. The first chapter is “The Real State of America”.

15. VegasMike says:

Marilyn- I have a question for you. In your above comment you said the GOP is not going against loopholes that ( the rich and corporations use).
    If Romney does go for this , he’ll be going against the GOP.
    If I’m not mistaken, Paul Ryan was on GMC today, and mentioned about going after these loopholes. Am I misunderstanding on what’s the Plan.

16. Marilyn says:

I don’t want him to go against the G.O.P, I want him to lead the G.O.P. His vision should be their vision, not their vision be his vision. He’s got the chops. He knows what needs to be done. Can “they” trust him? I hope so. We need him.

I’m not interested in Paul Ryan’s plan, which is in conflict with Mitt’s plan as I understand it so far and by what he is known to have done in Massachusetts. I also have heard that Grover Norquist considers the closing of tax loopholes to be tax increases and conservatives have taken pledges against tax increases.

17. Marilyn says:

Mitt, please go on POTUS on Sirius XM on the Pete Dominick show. You will be treated fairly and you’ll get exposure and get your ideas out to a broad cross-section of America.

18. Sam says:

Marilyn, as I understand it, Grover Norquist considers closing tax loopholes BY THEMSELVES to be tax increases.

But accompanied with equivalent tax cuts in broader areas, the closing of loopholes could be revenue-neutral, and I cannot see Grover Norquist opposing such a measure.

19. Marilyn says:

When I see “revenue-neutral” I see giving with one hand and taking away with another. Like when Reagan reduced the tax rates but took away a lot of deductions – and both sides have been chipping away at deductions ever since. While I’ve been a contractor, not sure which year, the deduction for commuting more than 50 miles from home was taken away. That one really hurt.

Sounds like a move towards the flat tax, which I’m against because it’s not really fair.

20. Marilyn says:

If it’s wrong to take money out of my pocket, send it through government, and give it to another person, how is that morally different from taking money out of my pocket, send it through government, then give it to a corporation or business in the hopes that it will end up in somebody else’s pocket through a job? If corporations and individuals are given tax breaks, somebody still has to pay for collective stuff to get done. I’m talking about BIG stuff, like the Eisenhower Interstate Highway system. Nobody got to “Opt out” of that one and everybody had to participate and follow the same pattern. We need that again on a massive scale to correct our infrastructure problems. And stop selling off our public assets to sovereign nations. It’s wrong and immoral and unethical.

21. Katrina says:

I’m for a completely flat tax, percentage-wise. If everyone paid 10% income tax, this government might just become as financially solvent as the Mormon church. Wouldn’t that be a nice thing! Unfortunately, politicians can’t pull off a measure like this because of the rampant class warfare in our nation. If the poor and uneducated could be convinced that fair is fair for everyone, then wow. We’d be in for a glorious age.

I wish Mitt had said he’s for a totally flat tax, not just fairly flat. But I understand the political stage is a dangerous place to say such things.

22. MittsMan says:

@Banking Cartel

Wow, communists had a central bank like we do? Ezra Taft Benson spoke out against the Fed too? Does Romney understand monetary policy at all? How can he not focus on something that Lenin said was 90% of socializing a country. I love Mitt, but I’m worried he is confused about central banking! Someone help me!

23. broses says:

@Banking Cartel

I’m sure Romney’s already familiar with those quotes, Banking Cartel, he has a Masters degree in Economics from Harvard. With Honors.

The Fed isn’t setting the currency value arbitrarily, they are printing dollars to cover massive spending by this administration, which is driving the dollar down. Cutting spending and increasing job and economic growth (which brings in more tax dollars) would counteract that. And the Fed wouldn’t be worried about artificial stimulation to prevent another major Depression.

The situation with the big banks cutting off credit to small business and self employed, while they borrow cheap money and use it for things other than loans, is another serious issue which needs addressed. That’s why Bernanke gave them those rates, to begin with, and said he “trusted them to do the right thing.” They didn’t.

Romney understands that small businesses and self employed are the very people who create the most jobs and that is another big reason our economy has struggled to recover. Obama has actually punished them further with his policies and, though the Fed’s initial intentions were good, he has ignored their continuing difficulties.

24. broses says:

I’m starting a small business and pray that Republicans pick Romney. *gets down on knees and begs*

25. broses says:

So… some of you want a flat tax and you want to take away deductions. What deductions? Be specific.

The Fair Tax makes more sense to me, those who can afford to buy more pay more, and tax cheats won’t get a free ride off our backs. We can also abolish the IRS and take the load off companies, so they can invest and hire more people. It might attract more business and jobs to the US too. Accountants and lawyers don’t want to get rid of all the tax prep, but the rest of us wouldn’t mind!

I hope Romney will consider that and I’d like to see Kudlow do a whole hour with him at some point. He really is the best interviewer when it comes to these issues. Thanks Larry and thanks Mitt!!

26. broses says:

Adding… I’m not stuck on the Fair Tax, I just want to hear it discussed more. And on economic issues, in general, I want details.

27. Marilyn says:

Think this through. It would NOT eliminate the IRS.

28. Marilyn says:

Broses, how has Obama hurt small businesses? Exactly how?

29. Luke says:

Marilyn :

Broses, how has Obama hurt small businesses? Exactly how?

Are you for real? How about:

Raising taxes on small business, hurt.
    Hiking some taxes on investment by almost 200%, hurt.
    Pushing cap and trade, hurt.
    Stalling agreements to expand trade, hurt.
    Sharply slanting the playing field in favor of union CEO’s, hurt.
    Handing General Motors to the UAW, hurt.
    The federal takeover of healthcare, hurt.
    Trillions of dollars of new debt, hurt.
    Scapegoating and demonizing the very people who we need to invest in people and jobs, hurt.

See Mitt’s speech 2010 Values Voters Summit

30. JonH says:

Just a little note for those who watched this interview and didn’t understand all the details. Most of the other POTUS candidates don’t. did you see how fast these two men talked. Romney didn’t hesitate one little bit with his answers. Infact, he knew where Kudlow was going before Kudlow stopped talking. Romney is so stinking smart and has a conscience. He’ll knowhow to get to the point quickly without having to deal with any BS. If anyone challenges him he is a listner and a debater. From my past reading about him in 2008 I learned what the Bain Way was and could see that there was an advanced way that romney learned to operate at, but nobody called it Bain Way II or the Romney way even though Mitt operated at a higher level in his work efforts. His 113% ROI average for 14 years as leader of bain Capital still blows me away. Has any other company and CEO ever achieved such levels for so long like that? What an amazing individual! And people call him stupid every day!!!