The Obama Misery Index and the Rise of Obamavilles

I’ve noticed that Mitt has coined a new term, the “Obama Misery Index”. Mitt referenced the Obama Misery Index in his CPAC speech and then again Saturday night in New Hampshire.

“The consequence is soaring numbers of Americans enduring unemployment, foreclosures and bankruptcies,” he said. “This is the Obama Misery Index, and it is at a record high. It’s going to take more than new rhetoric to put Americans back to work—it’s going to take a new president.”

Here’s a brief description of the importance of the original misery index from Wikipedia:

During the Presidential campaign of 1976, Democratic candidate Jimmy Carter made frequent references to the Misery Index, which by the summer of 1976 was at 13.57%. Carter stated that no man responsible for giving a country a misery index that high had a right to even ask to be President. Carter won the 1976 election. However, by 1980, when President Carter was running for re-election against Ronald Reagan, the Misery Index had reached an all-time high of 21.98%. Carter lost the election to Reagan.

In this uncut interview from WMUR New Hampshire, Gov. Romney states that he and his staff will likely be creating a chart to illustrate the Obama Misery Index which is at an all-time high. We look forward to seeing that chart, and can’t wait to share it with as many people as we can.

Mitt’s coining of the Obama Misery Index provides a fantastic segue to another piece I’ve been meaning to write for a while now. I was recently talking to some fellow Romney supporters from other parts of the country and was surprised to find out that they hadn’t even heard of Obamavilles. This may be the most under-reported story of the Obama presidency.

Hopefully the picture of the Obamaville in Colorado to the left is familiar to most of you, but if it isn’t, here’s the story.

Since that story was written, Obamavilles have been slowly spreading across the country. This story references Obamavilles in Hawaii, Georgia, California, and Nevada. As you can read here, there is a growing concern about public safety as the reality of the rising Obama Misery Index (unemployment, foreclosures and bankruptcies which all contribute to the creation and growth of these tent cities) becomes harder and harder for us to ignore.

I live near Detroit, and our epidemic of homelessness has not been ignored. It’s been around for much longer than President Obama has been in office, so the media has no problem covering that story. However, what isn’t being covered is how much worse conditions have gotten for the poorest Americans as a result of President Obama’s policies. Check out this article from back in July: “Collapse in Living Standards in America: More Poverty By Any Measure“. That piece talks about how more than 15 million Americans are unemployed, homelessness has increased by 50 percent in some cities, and 38 million people are receiving food stamps which is more than at any time in the program’s almost 50-year history. Now that inflation is on the rise, Mideast unrest is spreading, oil prices are going up, violence on our Mexican border is increasing, and our national debt has risen to unacceptable levels, the Obama Misery Index may be rising for years to come.

The upper class has done relatively well during President Obama’s term, but members of the middle and lower classes are being squeezed beyond what many of them can bear. As Gov. Romney and others have stated numerous times, President Obama is destroying the entrepreneurial spirit of America that causes people to take risks in order to achieve more than they otherwise could in any other country in the world. I don’t want to turn this into an economics class, so feel free to comment below if you disagree or simply don’t know how President Obama’s policies have caused people to become more risk adverse and dependent on Government instead.

Welcome to Obamaville. If you don’t like it, then join us and spread this piece to other people you know. We need a new president because I don’t believe in Obamaville; I believe in America.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to The Obama Misery Index and the Rise of Obamavilles

1. Chris says:

A segway is a two-wheeled, self-balancing personal transport. A segue is a smooth transition from one topic to another. I believe it is the latter that you wanted in your 5th paragraph.

2. Noelle says:

Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems that Mitt Romney is the only guy who has been focusing on our real opponent, Barack Obama. It seems like most of the rest of the potential GOP candidates are taking shots at each other, but Romney is focusing his attention on the man we MUST defeat, Barack Obama.

And I loved the video with the clips of various people taking about why Romney is the best man for the job.

Mitt Romney 2012

3. no chance says:

Sorry, Mitt, but you will never be president. You’re a RINO, and we’ve had quite enough of that.

4. seconded says:

I have respect for Mitt, and what he does. I just don’t think that people will vote for him, or even if they do vote for him, that he is what our country needs right now. I can’t see myself voting for him in good faith, Romneycare is TOO MUCH. It’s the 800 pound gorilla in the room, and at this point, it’s too late for him to step back from it. If he really didn’t support it or believe in it, he would have made that crystal clear before this point, and he hasn’t. My last RINO vote in this life might have been Mccain, but even then I couldn’t bring myself to vote for that trash.

5. TiredOfExcuses says:

Romney will not admit RomneyCare was a mistake, and as long as he continues along these lines I will NOT support him. Obamacare is a disaster and Romneycare is right alongside it. I would have had more respect for Romney had he owned up to his mess.

6. Public Citizen says:

Noelle.
    You need to widen your focus a little.
    Donald Trump has been focusing on the damage Obama is causing to the American economy for months now. Every time he speaks in public he is ready with specific examples of the problems that are being created for the business community and how Obummer is standing in the way of job creation by American entrepreneurs.

7. Marilyn says:

@no chance
    Now, just whom do you think does have a chance? Certainly none of the neocons currently showing an interest in running?

8. Marilyn says:

@Public Citizen
    I’m not going to vote for him and neither would any member of my family.

9. Marilyn says:

Trump, I meant. I wouldn’t vote for Trump and neither would any member of my family.

10. Gubbie says:

Why would we want someone who is intelligent, articulate, a wonderful family man, who takes his money from the sale of books and gives it to charity, rarely and I mean rarely takes a speaking fee, someone who can take a business and turn it around, and who sincerely loves this country and wants to see it changed? The idiots that complain about Romney being a Mormon (remember, mormons do not have horns) and the ones that just never seem to want to understand that his health care program (which he has explained a thousand times) was for Massachusetts only, and it was not perfect and if he could, he would have changed some things. What is it you people cant understand? If those two things are his only negatives, concentrate on his good qualities. He should never apologize for something he so strongly believed in!

11. gwblomgren says:

@Noelle
    I agree with you,Noelle. Instead of mindlessly repeating comments about the so-called impossible roadblocks to Mitt winning the nomination and Presidency, such as “support of healthcare in Massachusetts”, “the Mormon issue”, “being too perfect”, and “sons not serving in the military”, let’s focus on the pre-eminent problems of the day, namely, rebuilding the American economy and getting our people back to work! In poll after poll, all of the other issues are so far back they hardly register on the charts, yet the media and the naysayers continually try to push them to the top to try to dissuade voters from seriously considering Mitt Romney.

12. gwblomgren says:

@TiredOfExcuses Here is what Mitt Romney said on the subject Saturday, March 5th in New Hampshire:
    “Our approach was a state plan intended to address problems that were in many ways unique to Massachusetts. What we did was what the Constitution intended for states to do—we were one of the laboratories of democracy.

Our experiment wasn’t perfect—some things worked, some didn’t, and some things I’d change. One thing I would never do is to usurp the constitutional power of states with a one-size-fits-all federal takeover.

I would repeal Obamacare, if I were ever in a position to do so. My experience has taught me that states are where healthcare programs for the uninsured should be crafted, just as the Constitution provides. Obamacare is bad law, bad policy, and it is bad for America’s families.”

13. gwblomgren says:

no chance :

Please submit your evidence for this position. What makes you qualified to declare that Mitt will never be president? What, specifically, is your definition of a RINO?

14. gwblomgren says:

seconded :

If Mitt Romney isn’t what the country needs right now, when we’re in the greatest economic crisis of my lifetime, who is? Who has better credentials, better skills, a better track record, and a better chance of actually getting elected???

15. KATHYE says:

Love the video, and you stupid people that can’t let this mass health care go are fools, period..it is not the same as obozo, so if you want the man to admit something that isn’t so, just to get your vote, , stop singing the same old stupid song……..he will win the nomination and be the next potus, this country has had it, and if we don’t get rid of oboma
    we are in BIG BIG TROUBLE, SO PUT YOU STUPID SILLY LITTLE NONSENE ABOUT MA HEALTHCARE AND STUFF IT, He has more class and wit , smarts, and a good decent man, for God’s sake……………………look @ WHAT’S IN THE WHITE HOUSE RIGHT NOW……………THANKS TO FOOLS THAT FELL FOR THE CHANGE CRAP………….IF YOU DON’T LIKE MITT……..SO BE IT HE WILL WIN WITHOUT YOUR VOTES………….AMEN

16. Jeff Fuller says:

For the folks stuck on RomneyCare/ObamaCare please realize that this campaign will get beyond bumper-stickers.

Mitt’s ALWAYS been firmly against ObamaCare (just because your preferred media sources would rather create suppossed hypocrisy on the issue it has been quite clear for some time)

17. ChuckP says:

You should also correct a minor spelling mistake in the ninth paragraph, which should read as follows: “The upper class has done relatively well during President Obama’s term, but members of the middle and lower classes are being squeezed beyond what many of them can bear.” “Bare” does not mean to endure.

18. Rebel Ross says:

@Chris

@ChuckP

Boy, thanks to you two my post is finally ready for the big time. I’m so happy to know my piece is being read so carefully. Let’s make this idea of the Obama Misery Index spread like wildfire. E-mail this post to as many friends as you can.

19. Bill says:

@ Gubbie,

Before touching on the seriousness of the topic, I have to mention something a little lighter. When I first read your statement that Mormons don’t have horns, I thought, “Yeah, but they have a great choir.”

20. Bill says:

The one thing that all businesses need these days is energy, generally in the form of electricity. While “green” power may someday help us reach energy independence, we will depend on coal for a long time. The Obama declaration of war against coal and oil ensures that people will be afraid to start businesses. There’s no point in starting a business if the cost of energy is likely to rise radically. Besides coal for electricity, we need oil to run the engines that move products. The drilling moratorium in the Gulf of Mexico may be officially lifted, but the Interior Department is working to ensure that few wells are drilled. If companies don’t have electricity to run their facilities and gasoline/diesel to move their products, they aren’t going to produce anything. If companies don’t produce anything, they aren’t going to make the money that pays salaries.

Obama simply doesn’t understand these basic facts of economics, and as a result, he continues to drive the economy into disaster. Most of the Republican candidates have a good grasp on these facts. Any would be a better president than Obama is. So far, Mr. Romney appears to be the best.

Mr. Romney’s primary objective as governor of Massachusetts was getting the budget in line with reality. He accomplished that goal. Ronald Reagan once said that politics was the art of what’s possible. Passing a comprehensive abortion ban wasn’t and isn’t possible in Massachusetts. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Mitt Romney didn’t try to push for something that was never going to happen. Massachusetts was not going to change their gun laws to mimic those of Texas. I’d love to see that happen, but I’d be delusional to expect a governor to make that change in four years. Mr. Romney didn’t push for a change in gun laws. The health care bill passed by an 85% Democrat legislature was not going to be a model of libertarian policy. Mr. Romney worked with the legislature to try to set a direction that would move towards markets and away from a government HMO. The legislature was 70 pages. No one had to argue that the bill had to be passed so that people could see what was there. Mr. Romney still vetoed eight sections that he thought would be bad for the state. The legislature overrode all eight vetoes. Even with those changes, he accomplished his goals on the state budget.

I worry that Mr. Romney doesn’t exactly understand my concerns about the government. I worry that he doesn’t completely understand the role of manufacturing in national security. Sometimes, he does seem to be too much of a bean counter. Maybe I wouldn’t even like him if I met him socially. I certainly will never be in his social circles. However, in looking at the financial challenges facing our country, I just don’t see a better candidate right now. If he came out as my complete enemy on a few pet issues, I might turn away from him. As long as he’s not that enemy, I’m not going to make a big deal over whether he’s my best friend.

21. ChuckP says:

@Bill
    The problem is not that Obama doesn’t understand economics. Even if he doesn’t, he has advisers who do. The problem is that he is inescapably chained to the ecological left who are convinced that carbon production is the root of all evil. This is a political problem, not a lack of understanding.

I have a difficult time understanding how the carbon byproducts of industrial production, which is a valuable resource that can be used to create incredibly valuable materials, has become a toxic waste to be buried, or better yet not produced at all. This administration is being incredibly shortsighted.

22. Sam says:

Maybe this isn’t the best thread to bring this issue up, but it has to be said.

Obama wants oil prices to skyrocket in order to pursue renewable energy. He said “under my plan, gas prices will necessarily skyrocket.”

And in the words of Rahm Emanuel, “Never let a good crisis go to waste.”

Obama is balancing these two schools of thought:

“Tap strategic reserve to cut gas prices and win the 2012 election”
    or
    “Let prices skyrocket to get me and my lefty buddies to cut carbon emissions by forcing renewables on Americans”

23. Dan says:

@ChuckP
    It’s also true that virtually no one in the Obama administration has any private sector experience. Their views on the economy are naive and ignorant at best and purposely destructive at worst.

24. Rebel Ross says:

Mitt just wrote a cover piece for the Boston Herald about the Obama Misery Index: http://mittromneycentral.com/2011/03/08/boston-herald-front-page-story-obama-misery-index-hits-a-record-high-by-mitt-romney/

25. Gubbie says:

<@Bill
    Excellent analysis, Bill. I just wish people would get passed his being a Mormon (look at the wonderful family he has) and this health care. If you never try anything, how do you know if it will work or not. The buzz everywhere is Chris Christie. First of all, he needs to be a little more experienced, and because he says what he thinks without thinking, he’s adored. You can get your point across without shooting from the hip. Romney is the full package and Romney and Ann would bring so much class to the WH.

26. Steve Foster says:

Regarding Romney, I come across two basic types: those who’ve decided to shut out argument and irrationally hate him till their final breaths, and those with open minds toward the pragmatism the country needs to regain its footing. When you stand up and yell and scream, it’s identity politics, and you end up with stupid stuff like Obama for president; but when you sit down and think, Romney comes out more qualified in virtually every measure, and is an even better pick than the so-called party favourites. Remember 2008, Republicans.

27. Mike in Vancouver says:

28. Robin from Indiana says:

@Mike in Vancouver. I am very tired of listening to people from other countries tell us that American has a lesson in humility coming. To those people I say this: perhaps the lesson in humility is yours to learn. If it does, hope that the United States will be there to help you, as it has so many other countries. Be aware that tragedy can strike any country, any people, at any time. Something I saw on television after the tsaunami in Indonesia hit was a video clip of a man crying and asking “…where are the Americans?” He knew as really the rest of the world does, that the United States has always, and always will be there for them.

29. Robin from Indiana says:

*America. Please do excuse my typo.

30. gwblomgren says:
  31. Ed herent says:

Mike in Vancouver :Probably a good idea to put the Republicans in charge for the next four to eight years. America’s a fundamentally admirable country which has lost it’s way and has a big, big, lesson in humility coming. It started with Regan, the largest redistribution of wealth away from working people and to the rich in history, let Romney or some other right-wing clown preside over the bankruptcy process rather than allowing the Republicans to blame it on a democrat. I wish you all luck and don’t take Canada down with you please.

Mike, why do you care about what happens to America? Why? Because your country has prospered under the umbrella of freedom the U.S.A. has helped provide for you and your fellow cannucks for decades along with much of the rest of the free world.

What is partially to blame for our rising debt? It’s simple. It includes us (USA) paying for protecting people around the world during and after conflicts; giving aid after natural disasters, drought and man-made disasters. Giving foreign aid in general annually to countries around the world and being the world’s policeman and peacemaker, how much does Canada provide toward these things?

Largest redistribution of wealth in history under Reagan??? Provide facts, not your liberal pseudo factoids. USA was very prosperous under Reagan and even after him and our standard of living is much higher than most of the other countries. Our “poor” are substantially better off than the vast majority of the world’s poor. This adminstration has added trillions to our debt and you’re going to spout off about Reagan and conservatives causing the economic problems? Pick up a book or newspaper (if you can find one) free of liberal bias and you might actually learn something.

You should feel lucky at least you can freely express yourself (not matter how asinine it is) in this fine country with our freedom of speech something you don’t get in your own pathetic country. I think Canada is due for some humility. Try doing something good for the world instead of pointing your finger at our country and casting aspersions toward it.

32. Clorinda says:

@Gubbie
    I would like to add to your comment by pointing out Romney was doing Chris Christie before anyone ever heard of Chris Christie. He stood up to the democrat machine in Massachusetts. He took on school boards and big government projects, he shut down ineffective school programs, he shut down the Big Dig. It made the dems mad as fire, but he stood his ground.

33. Graham says:

@nochance and @seconded are the same troll, I’m pretty sure.

34. truthseeker says:

everyone, especially republicans seems to forget this misery index was created by dubya with his wars, deregualtions of the banking industry and his overall incopetence

35. Graham :

@nochance and @seconded are the same troll, I’m pretty sure.

I checked this and they actually are not the same.

36. Mitt Romney, the Plutocrat Populist

37. gwblomgren says:

Lookout Ranch :
    Mitt Romney, the Plutocrat Populist

What does this mean? Name calling or labeling people with vague, meaningless titles is not a constructive way to contribute to the political process. Mitt is far and away the best prepared, best qualified candidate for President in 2012!

38. Marilyn says:

I’m not a Republican, I’m an Independent and I am not forgetting that Bush led us into this, but it wasn’t just him that caused the entire mess. That can be laid at the feet of every USA president since Jimmy Carter deregulated the airlines. Bush I, Clinton and Bush II were responsible for rolling back legislation in place since the 1930s. If you like today’s gas and diesel problems, you can thank Clinton for those. If you like NAFTA, you can thank Clinton for that, and you can thank Obama for opening up the USA to Mexican truckers. If Romney is a plutocrat, which person running for president hasn’t been, or didn’t become one? Being a plutocrat didn’t stop FDR.

39. Marilyn says:

Or Teddy Roosevelt. Since the Democrats have turned out to be Republican lite, may as well vote for a Republican. At least you know what a Republican stands for. At least you know that Republicans at least TRY to live up to their rhetoric. At least you know where a Republican will start from when entering negotiations. They start from a principle and go from there. What principles do the Democrats stand for? I sure don’t know.

I like Romney and I think he’ll make one of the greatest presidents ever. I think he can get the Reagan Democrats and I think he can get a lot of the Independents. It’s going to be a really tough race, but I think he’ll get the vote because things haven’t improved much and I don’t think they will.

40. Kathleen Fisher says:

What is Romney’s position on illegal immigration….that is the 800 lb gorilla in the room!

That is why he’s referred to as a RINO. He’ll have to prove to me and my family a strong position on illegal immigration and what he will do to stop the invasion across our southern border, misuse of U.S. legal citizens food stamps, schooling, hospitals, prisons on and on….
    It is destroying our country from within.
    katpatriot

41. Marilyn says:

I heard that Reagan was shocked when he found out that corporations were getting out of paying taxes through loopholes and so he closed a lot of them. I heard that he was for individuals getting tax breaks, but not corporations.