Usual caveats…it’s early and these polls don’t really mean anything yet…etc.
Having said that, Fox News/Opinion Dynamics just released an interesting poll where, among other questions, they tested a variety of potential 2012 match ups. There’s a bunch of data here, and some interesting questions about independent runs by Hilary Clinton and Mike Bloomberg, so click through if you’re interested. Sticking to the headline, however, here are the key Obama vs. Republican match ups they tested and how each one did:
- BHO vs. Mitt Romney: 41% vs. 40%
- BHO vs. Mike Huckabee: 43% vs. 40%
- BHO vs. Jeb Bush: 45% vs. 37%
- BHO vs. Sarah Palin: 48% vs. 35% (the only Republican who would lose Independents)
- BHO vs. “Tea Party” Candidate: 43% vs. 32%
- BHO vs. Chris Christie: 42% vs. 30%
Both Huckabee and Mitt are within the 3% margin of error, but Mitt is the closest based his strength with both Republicans and Independents.
Again, caveat emptor when it comes to polls 18 months out, but it’s great to see Mitt polling well at this stage of the game.