The shocking pick of Sarah Palin yesterday has sent the political world spinning wildly. The right is energized and the left is caught shorthanded flailing for anything that will stick.
In fact, McCain’s pick of Governer Palin has lathered the Presidential game of Twister with a nice coat of vaseline. Obama and Biden best be wary how they contort themselves here. In the words of comedian Brian Regan: “Right foot red… BROKEN! Left foot green… BROKEN.”
Let’s review the minefield that Team Obama/Biden must navigate with Palin on board.
- Palin has more executive experience than Obama himself (having run a company, a PTO, a town and then Alaska).
- WARNING: Bring up the experience issue at your own peril.
- SAMPLE: “When Senator Obama started his first run for local office I was already a two-term mayor. If you simply count the years of experience, I win, frankly.”
- Palin has more direct military experience than Obama and Biden combined having served as Commander of the Alaskan National Guard:
- WARNING: Don’t fuss with military issues. Be cautious around foreign affairs.
- SAMPLE: “Alaska has a shared border with Canada and shared Islands with Russia. Illinois and Deleware…mmm… not so much. I’ve actually commanded hundreds of military volunteers in person not just from a DC hearing room.”
- Palin is pro-life in ways that other just aren’t. Namely, the pro-life decision she made was real.
- WARNING: Don’t even bring up the word “abortion” around her
- SAMPLE: “Since everybody’s worried about my experience I’d like to know how Senator Biden might react if he were in my shoes. Abortion isn’t just some idealogical issue for me… I’ve had the face the very real decision. So I ask you, Senator Biden, what would you do if your family faced a similar choice?”
- Palin solidifies the so-con vote by demonstrating unquestionable social conservative values (it doesn’t hurt that she has 5 kids)
- WARNING: Don’t come even close to using motherhood as a leverage against her qualificaitons
- SAMPLE: “I believe I’ve given birth to 5-times as many children as Sentaors Obama and Biden combined.”
- Palin taps into the Hillary vote giving a voice to mothers and women across the country when Obama wouldn’t even vet her.
- WARNING: Don’t imply that the Palin pick was just a play to women or even remotely hint at chauvinistic overtones
- SAMPLE: “Are you saying that women shouldn’t be excited about this opportunity? Are you saying that there isn’t a glass ceiling.
- Palin was a former sportscaster and journalist
- WARNING TO THE PRESS: She’s one of your own.
- SAMPLE: “Hey George, like you, I’ve had a foot in politics and a foot in journalism. My timing was just opposite of yours. I realized that journalism is great and all but real change comes through sacrifice and service.”
- Palin was a beauty pageant contestant so she could pay for school with the scholarship
- WARNING TO NOW: Don’t diss her pagaent story until you actually hear it
- SAMPLE: “I entered the beauty pagaent because sports scholarships for women in the 1980s were almost unheard of. So sue me.”
- Palin is a lifetime member of the NRA and use to hunt elk
- WARNING: Biden, avoid your terrible history on the 2nd right amendment .
- SAMPLE: “Like Senator Obama, I agree with and I’m proud of the recent Supreme Court decision. I’ve been a hunter all my life. In fact when my parents found out about Senator McCain’s decision they were on a caribou hunting trip. I think my dad is like many people in this country as he follows this heated debate: he said: ‘I’d rather go moose hunting than be involved with politics.’ Sometimes, so would I.”
- Palin fought corruption in an AK GOP party that was (and still is) full of it
- WARNING: Careful around the “ethical” issues
- SAMPLE: “Like Chicago politics, Alaska politics can sometimes get dirty. In my case I fought my own party tooth and nail for substantive change. I’ll let voters decide what Barack Obama did in Chicago.”
- She’s a true outsider who’s likable, young, articulate, devout, down to earth.
- WARNING: Don’t much about trying to stick the DC inexperience on her.
- SAMPLE: “You know, some reporters were shocked and amazed that I have never appeared on any Sunday political talk shows. I think many Americans would accord that as a medal of honor.”
All of these items show serious head pounding variables that the Democrats and the liberal media must take into account. But were’ not done. Consider also:
- Palin is a former union member, her spouse is still union member
- She knows the energy and oil issues like the back of her hand (or her husband’s hand who actually worked on an oil rig)
- Palin has actually BEEN to the Alaska Wildlife Reserves
- Palin is a conservative environmentalist and outdoorsman who understands the issues well
- Palin owns one home
- Palin has left the MSM stammering to find information about her
- Palin has left the Obama campaign stammering to find information about her
- Palin can tell you what the price of milk is
- Palin cut costs across the board in Alaska
- Palin got rid of the “bridge to nowhere”
- Palin has put Biden back in a box
- The expectations game plays in her favor
Yes, she has a lot to prove on the national stage but she brings A LOT to the table that conservatives can get excited about.