Please participate in the poll on the left sidebar to show what you think about Sarah Palin being selected as McCain’s VP.
Click here for “All you need to know about Sarah Palin”
I have a number of thoughts on Palin. After initial thoughts I have very quickly come to believe that this is a brilliant pick by team McCain. Here are some reasons why people will be willing to accept her as VP:
- very conservative governor with all the right stances on issues
- has an excellent record as a reformist
- being from AK and wanting to drill in ANWR makes her a strong voice for energy independence, which will be a hot issue the election round
- has a son in the military – and is a life-long member of the NRA
- has five children including a very young son with Downs Syndrome, attractive to those with strong family values
- frequently described as ‘very down to earth’ and not a Washington insider
- last, and probably most important, she is not only acceptable to both parties of the Huckabee/Romney feud, but also to Hillary supporters thanks to the Clinton/Obama feud.
In short, she does no harm to the ticket, but in fact brings in other would-be fence-sitters had someone else been chosen.
- relatively unknown
- though able to fulfill the roll of VP, I’m not confident in her ability to step into the roll of Commander in Chief in a moments notice should the need arise
- unsure of how she will hold up in debate versus Biden, though she does have the advantage of her being right and him being wrong
- currently under investigation for alleged abuse of power for helping to get her ex-brother-in-law fired
I think the pros seriously out weigh the cons in this case. I do have one rambling thought I’d like to express concerning this pick. I can’t help thinking that her being a woman was a major factor in her being selected (brings in huge crowds of Hillary supporters). Being a woman is neither a qualification, nor a disqualification. Identity politics has won the day. If this is true it is akin to voting for (or against) Obama because he is black, or voting for Romney solely because he is Mormon. One’s identity is not a qualification! I think Romney and Pawlenty are better qualified, but Palin (my third pick) is the clearly the smarter pick if you want to win the election. Well I do want win the election because of the serious threat of an Obama presidency.
That said I feel that I can wholeheartedly support the Republican 2008 ticket of McCain/Palin.
BTW, I stole the image from Race42008.com where there is a big discussion going on about the pick. Kavon says “Best. Vice. Presidential. Pick. Ever.” Also of interest at Race42008.com is a post from Romney supporter Jason Bonham “Gov. Palin: Awesome Choice, But Still a Bet”
Other news about the Palin Pick:
Marc Ambinder (includes text from Palin’s speech)
Hugh Hewitt talks about “An Extraordinary Choice”
Michelle Malkin - Palin for America: A true conservative: “She knows when to stand up and doesn’t let anyone tell her to sit down”